GTE valver fast road/track car project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GTE valver fast road/track car project

Spent today on the GTE giving it a once over for the Astra-mk2 track on 5th October so I began fitting the SuperPro steering arm inner bushes.

Then I removed front and rear pads and gave them a good sanding and also sanded the front and rear brake disk faces so I can bed them in on the track day.

I also had a suspect radiator fan switch so a brand new one was fitted that I bought last year. I was also not 100% that the header tank cap was holding pressure correctly so had a dig round my parts bin and replaced it with a known good spare. I can now report rad fan now working automatically (also have a manual override switch) and coolant pressure now holding steady.

Now for the big job as my brakes felt pants on my last track day, very spongy and no hard bite to the pedal. So the old synthetic Automec was purged as it can’t be mixed with normal Dot 4. Then I bled the system using stock Dot 4 Pagid fluid before purging again and then finally some nice fresh Millers 300+ was used. The 300+ is a DOT 4 fluid but exceeds both DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 for both wet and dry boiling points.

My trusty Eezi-bleed kit came in handy today with all the bleeding brakes! Had it years and still works a treat.

This is why Automec silicone and normal polyglycol brake fluid can’t be mixed and why I did what I did purging and bleeding the system.

Then I did a little chopping of my already modded Vectra B brake cooling ducts and finally fitted them using genuine motorsport fixings, ziptied to the wishbone. I had them on when the car was initially on the road but they caught the inside of the rim on full lock, still do but it’s only the plastic so I’ll live with it and see what they are like at Blyton Park.

After a full front and rear spanner check it was time to put it to bed so on the trailer it went and this leads nicely onto some trailer bling bling I did a couple of weeks ago.

Old manky faded mudguard stickers removed and replaced with funky chequered reflective tape. I also patched up a rip in the metal mudguard when I last had the welder out and fitted new anti-skid tape to the off-side wheel arch. All lights now working after rewiring the rear rubber marker lights and fitting new bulbs, it’s like a bloomin Christmas tree now.

Last edited by Harvey; 27-08-2013, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Noticed when doing the track day prep work the DIS pack bracket top weld had cracked so went about sorting it this morning.

Off it comes ready for some TLC.

Prepped and ready for welding.

TLC applied and tarted up.

Wafted some paint on and also did the bolt heads as they were looking a bit sorry for themselves.

All fixed and back on the car.

Comment

Remembered I had some Red Line Water Wetter on the shelf which I purchased a few years so thought I might as well stick it in the GTE. Some further info here on what is does. Not sure if it’ll help but worth a try as high compression engines do tend to run on the hot side but never suffered any overheating issues myself.

Comment

I’ve always found the brake pedal doesn’t return properly with the adjustable pedal box fitted which sometimes causes the brake light to flicker or stay on so I fitted a return spring.

The grip tape in the drivers footwell had seen better days so it got replaced with nice fresh stuff.
          Before

After

Comment

dibs a passenger ride in oct

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
              dibs a passenger ride in oct
              I've not replaced the passenger side grip tape yet so you'll have to hold tight, lol.

No problem at all Darren I'm just hoping my day runs smoothly without issue and it stays dry.

Comment

I'm curious if that stuff really works.... if so, it's interesting to have.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                  I've not replaced the passenger side grip tape yet so you'll have to hold tight, lol.

No problem at all Darren I'm just hoping my day runs smoothly without issue and it stays dry.
                  I will have a set of wets on the trailer rack for if it rains :-)

Paul..
                  My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

Got the T1-R's as my wets which were surprisingly good last time I was out and the rain fell. Wouldn't mind trying proper wets though so will take you up on the offer if it's raining and you don't mind.

Comment

Replacement passenger side grip tape fitted this evening.

Before…

…during…

…after, plus a bit extra.

As I had a bit of off-cut from the passenger side I added a bit more on the driver’s side to widen it near the foot rest.

Comment

Had a successful day at Blyton Park on Saturday with no major issues.

The Astra mk2 clan

Cleaner makes it faster…really!

Zoom zoom

Longest queue of the day. Not bad to say there were 48 cars there.

Lost the rear near side hub cap which pushed off the Compomotive centre so new one on order.

More zoom zoom.

Car wouldn’t fire up at the start of the day due to plugs coked up so cleaned them and off she went. Then did it again on Sunday when putting it to bed so fitted brand new Bosch FR7DC+ which I had always ran and not had issues with.

Comment

350lb rear springs? Does that provoke any oversteer or a bumpy back end?

I have started off with a 150lb spring with the intention of having a soft rear, I'm now thinking TOO SOFT?

Comment

I changed to 300 rears and 350 fronts as found my original 350 rears and 400 fronts a bit too firm. Rides really nice now and gives good feel and soakes up the humps well. I've used the car more on the roads than on track and the springs and GAZ golds work very well and aren't at all crashy or firm.

I would recommend you start off with 250 rears and work from there as I believe you'll find 150 are too soft. it really does depend what surface you'll be using the car on as mine is for track driving. It'll be worth you having a word with Paul (RallyMarshal) about spring rates.
                            Last edited by Harvey; 07-10-2013, 09:33 AM.

Comment

The Toyo R888 are holding up well to track day abuse so took some pics after I removed wheels as I’m getting the tyres rotated so they last a little longer and wear evenly.

I then scraped off all the rubber bits that had stuck to them as they got nice and warm at Blyton on Saturday and got some pickup. Surprising how much had stuck to them after I swept it all up.

Comment

After finding out the alloy centre caps for Compomotive wheels are no longer made and only crappy plastic versions are now sold I started scouring the tinterweb for replacements after loosing an alloy one at Blyton on Saturdays track day. I did my usual random Google search and found a Triumph parts supplier of all people who was selling some. After various e-mails it turned out he had 5 original brand new old stock Compomotive early alloy centres. I quickly placed an order and then received a call from them to say they had found another 2 so I grabbed the lot. I now have plenty of spares for a fraction of the cost of 4 crappy plastic versions.

7 shiny brand new spares and one of my original blue alloy ones painted white in the bottom right for comparison. I just need to waft some paint on one of the replacements and all sorted.

Comment

Working...
                                X