GTE valver fast road/track car project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTE valver fast road/track car project

I had always wanted a valver and flew up to Glasgow as WeeKenny (user on this board) was selling one which was perfect as it was near standard. I set about taking all the modded parts off and putting it back to complete standard apart from the stainless back box and Koni adjustables with Eibachs which I found second hand for ?150 . Had it rolling roaded at Courtenays in Sept 2004 on a stock engine and it made 162.9bhp so I was very pleased click me.

I then decided to fit a full Deflex poly bush kit over Christmas of 2004

They sent the incorrect rear beam bushes as the ones shown above are for a mk3 rear beam, after a quick call the proper ones arrived and were promptly fitted.

It was due for its MOT in April this year but failed as the drivers side steering rack mounting had to much play. At this point I knew I had to remove the intake and servo to gain access to get it welded.

I had previously bought a second hand but never fitted Roll Centre 6 point bolt in cage from a guy in Milton Keynes and had been storing this on my spare bedroom for nearly 6 months. An idea popped into my head why don’t I just bare shell the GTE and have it properly sorted and while I was at it have the cage welded in place. That was in April and this is now:

It took me nearly 6 months to get to this stage as I have been doing it as and when I have the time. It’s now totally stripped to a bare rolling shell with every bit of wiring removed, plastic clip, trim panel and sound deadening.

My plan now it to turn it into a fast road/track car and enjoy it even more. I already have a full set of red silicon hoses and Cobra Imola 2 seats to go in but first need to get all the frontend stitch welded and all the remaining rust removed and rotten holes plated. Hoping to get it back from the body shop in January so more build pics to follow so keep your eyes peeled for updates, although they probably won’t be very frequent knowing me.

Thanks for looking

Harvey
    Last edited by Harvey; 17-04-2009, 07:29 PM.

Re: GTE valver fast road/track car project

great little project, quite a few of those pics bring back some memories (bulkhead rust, tar mat removal)

could i strongley advise that you dont use the front wishbone front bushes. they seem to be the same poor design as powerflex. the stainless sleeve binds inside the poly bush and then the whole sleeve twists away against the chassis stub, eating into it and periodically making the bolt come loose.

also for the bitumen sound deadening. i found that warming the surface with a plumbers blow lamp, then wiping with blue tissue roll removed the worst. the remains came up with a squirt of carb cleaner or cellulose thinners type stuff.

Comment

I've already sorted the front wishbone bushes as I have milled out the rear face and put a washer in between the bush and stub, then applied plenty of copper grease.

Harvey

Comment

lovin this little project. cant belive how tidy the exterior is

Comment

Originally posted by harvey
          I've already sorted the front wishbone bushes as I have milled out the rear face and put a washer in between the bush and stub, then applied plenty of copper grease.

Harvey
          good plan i did something along those lines though, but it wasnt enough. just ate into the washer instead of the chassis stub.

not trying to belittle you or take away what youve done, just speaking from 5 years experience, but if you take a long look at how a standard bush is made and works, youll see the poly design even with mods is still doomed to failure.

Comment

loks good to me mate, youve certainly got your work cut out there mate. good luck and keep us posted with your progress.

Comment

Love reading threads like this, great work. Amazing how rotten the engine bay is though when the exterior is so mint!

Comment

My aim is to try and keep the car looking stock from the out with a stock engine at present due to the cost of the body shop work, which I haven't been quoted for yet. Anyways here's the list of the work to be carried out at the body shop, I'm sure I've missed something off.

-Weld cage in place
                -Weld rear strut brace between rear struts
                -Repair o/s steering rack box section
                -Repair firewall to chassis o/s and n/s
                -Remove all window sealer from front, back & side windows
                -Plate battery tray inner wing n/s
                -Plate n/s front outer chassis
                -Stitch weld complete front end firewall, chassis legs, strut tops etc
                -Plate floor pan hols o/s
                -Plate rear floor pan hole
                -Plate rear n/s inner panel
                -Plate rear o/s inner wing at rear
                -New roof skin or plate with sheet and sealer + pan head rivets
                -Check floor pan & repair as necessary
                -Check chassis and underside for any further plating inc doors and tailgate
                -Sort all rust/surface rust on interior and exterior
                -Under seal/wax oil complete underside of car and chassis.
                -Spray engine bay, inside car, rocker & cam belt cover, paint code E474, mask cage as I want this remaining in the flat black colour
                -Spray front and rear strut brace same as cage flat black don?t know paint code
                -Spray trim parts in flat black as per the cage colour; scuttle panel, bumper inserts, roof rails, grill, door & boot handles, mirror base plates, side skirts

Comment

Thanx for the bush comments Odders, I know exactly what you mean and I will be keeping an eye on it when she eventually gets put back on the road.

Comment

Some of the parts I have already got for when I get the car back + I have a brand new quick rack in my shed (2.5 turns lock to lock) as the PAS has already been fitted to the other halfs SRi.

Comment

turbo chris hose set calibra/cav 16v ?

my last word on the bush subject (promise) standard bushes are still available new from vauxhall. and the fronts are actually firmer than poly bushes ! purely because they have a large barrell shape metal carcass within the rubber. i went back to standard front bushes, but everything else is poly (rear bush, anti roll bar, rear beam) and it transformed the handling.

kirk out.

Comment

Odder's, your thought's have been taken on board...over and out. Yes the Turbo Chris hose set, the very last Cav/Cally one he had in + a pair of heater matrix hoses.

Pic taken this morning by my other half just before my mate picked the car up on his flatbed

I've now got some drive space back for all our other motors!!!
                        Last edited by Harvey; 22-10-2005, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Excellent project mate. Looking forward to seeing and reading about this ones progress!

Comment

How many Astras do you have?
                            Anyway, re your question on bulkhead welding, here's my link: http://www.tomstickland.co.uk/astra/...lding/day2.htm

Comment

Glad to see its taking shape mate

Comment

Working...
                              X