Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GTE valver fast road/track car project

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
    whats the quicksilver doing there, bizarre !
    It was on the static display, I had a good chat with the owner as he doesn't live far from me. Few more pics here.

Comment

Looks good Though you need to be going faster as all the wheel are still on the ground
      Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

Ace pics, looks like it was sunny! Nice job, I freaking love that track I'd have loved to join you if I hadn't been there a few weeks prior.

Any video footage or laptimes?

Also please modify the thread title as it's no longer a fast road car.

Comment

are your wheels 15's? ive got some of them tucked away somewhere they look good!

Comment

nice pic's Harvey gte is looking fantastic

judging by the other posts, pic's and replies from other members; myself and others who did not attend missed out on a great day aarrhh

Comment

Originally posted by Vxlgsi View Post
              are your wheels 15's? ive got some of them tucked away somewhere they look good!
              Yes they are. Dry track wheels are Compomotive TH in 15"x7" running Toyo R888 and wets are OZ 15"x7" running Toyo T1-R. Both are ET49 and just clear the rear coilovers by around 5mm. Took me a while to find both wheel sets as they are uber rare now and I wanted an OE look for the exterior of the car but in 15's.
              Last edited by Harvey; 04-09-2012, 08:49 AM.

Comment

EPAS update as I managed to get it properly tested at the track day at Blyton Park. I can report that it worked perfectly on the Auto setting taking the speed reading from the 16 impulse AK transducer that is used for the GTE’s LCD dash speed reading. The rpm signal was taken from the MBE ECU feed which is required so that the EPAS activates once the car engine is running. It offered full assistance when stationary and slow moving but progressively less assistance the faster I was traveling.

I can now safely say this is the best modification that I have done to the car as it has totally transformed the way you can drive it. It offers superb steering input and no vibrations are felt through the column. I have got an OE Vauxhall steering rack damper fitted so this may also be helping damper the knocks and bumps that would otherwise be felt. All in all it’s fantastic and I’m very pleased with it.

Comment

I've been driving two new cars lately with EPAS ..... I have reservations ... it just don't feel right ... like you are not in control of the steering ... I think the issue with both cars is the steering is so light, tip of your little finger light for a full turn when stationary never mind moving ... that and the ratio is damned fast. Slightest movement of the steering wheel and the cars shoot off to the side. I can't help feeling this isn't a good combo for fast driving .... there's just no feel to what is going on, no feedback and way too sensitive ...

But I guess you'd get used to it like most things ...?

Glad you are pleased with it though after all the work you have done to make this work ... hopefully yours is different with the standard rack?

Comment

Each to their own but in my opinion now that I have fitted EPAS the car is much more controllable as I’m able to offer quicker steering input where before I was wrestling with it all the time. I'm running an aftermarket manual quick rack, 2.5 turns lock to lock not a standard 3.2 or higher. Stationary I can now turn my steering wheel with one finger but as I said it gives less and less assistance the faster you are going so in no way is it twitchy or overly responsive. My steering now feels sharper, I’m able to correct quicker, it’s more positive and much more manageable as I'm not fighting to get the wheel turned. I can now also lay off the spinach as I no longer require arms like Popeye to steer the GTE.

Comment

Sounds good, must be the particular combo of EPAS and rack you are using ... and the diminishing assistance with speed ... I'm sure the two I have been driving recently don't do that? But I could be wrong ...

Brand new Fiesta with about 400 miles on it and an 05 Citroen C3

Comment

Yes, those manual quick racks are something else.............

Comment

Car's looking good in them pictures, Glad you had a pretty trouble free day. I think Epas will have to make its way into the nova at some point!

Car looks very well planted in the corners too! really wish someone got a pic of mine cocking a leg about a foot off the floor for comparison!

Great work as always mate

Comment

Matts just told me the EPAS on his mates Corsa is really nice, nothing like the C3 which he has also driven .... I must blag a go sometime ...!!

Comment

I decided it was about time I purchased some more of the most important stuff required to run your car. After a bit of digging round I found a cracking deal at www.demonoils.co.uk who offer free p&p if spending over £50 and a further 10% discount for orders over £150. As I was purchasing 25 litres of Millers finest and a mate also got a load of Millers engine and transmission oil we saved a decent wedge between ourselves. Shop around people as www.opieoils.co.uk are not always the cheapest out there.

May I present one of Millers best, mmm liquid gold.

Comment

That really is liquid gold! But at £40 for 5 litres not terrrible!

Comment

Working...
                                X