• Re: White GTE restoration

Thanks for the positive comments

Comment

oeh lovely. completely original look!

Comment

Thanks Roger

Well just a small update and I didn't get chance to get any pictures which is a shame! New sump and baffle plate fitted with new bolts and seals and fresh GM oil and filter.

Also had new GM clutch cable fitted which has transformed the car. Clutch is very soft now and almost like a modern car! Was super heavy previously so well happy with that. Fuel tank is porous on passenger side after a good look around so this will have to be one of the next jobs I think

Comment

• Not much of an update as I have moved house recently and still sorting through a never ending pile of boxes, however I did find time to get hold of another set of new headlight protectors

Comment

• I did have to put the GTE back together and drive it to my new house. The car drove great and the new GM clutch cable has really transformed the drive. I just want to tighten up the gear change. Problem is I cannot say if its as it was or if it needs work on gear change as I don't have a new MK2 to pitch it against.

Comment

• I have been thinking about replacing the clutch cable just because I feared it might break one day, but is there more good to expect from it? Do you really notice any difference?

As for the gear change feel, if you feel a lot of play now when you wiggle the stick then yes, it will be tightened up pretty nicely from new linkage parts. It's every little piece that can be worn to ruin the precision. I even ended up replacing the snap in pin locking the linkage to the gearbox as the actuator fork had just "eaten" (no pun intended) in to it badly...

Comment

• The clutch cable is so much smoother, mine was very heavy and is now very light like a modern car. I couldn't of asked for a better improvement if I'm honest. The only thing to sort now is the gear change swap. The one you are selling would it fit mine without any adjusting or cutting etc?

Comment

• Well just a small update. I managed to find the correct parts to sort out the loose gear lever feel. When I get some spare time I will fit these and clean up the rest of the gear box

Comment

• This is the part that causes the issue with the 8v gear lever. As you can see mine needs a clean up and restore as this is one of the only parts left in touched now

Comment

• Just got my new internet up & running & perfect way to test is back on the mk2 forum and your updates very nice!!

Comment

• So a small update, I got the car ready for an MOT today which I think is about the first one in around 4 years, anyway the car always starts on the button and today before I set off for the MOT it started then died after around 10 seconds and would not start after that. I tried fuel pump relay, spark, Coil etc with no change so suspecting and issue with the fuel pump as this and the injectors are really the only parts that have not been changed and the pump is the obvious next test, I called the AA. The AA man could believe his eyes when he arrived and was asking plenty of questions on the car. Anyway after testing voltage to the pump and all was ok it turned out that it was the pump, after a quick knock on the side the car started first time!

Comment

• A couple of picture from today

and eventually this! So it's now ready to go

Comment

• Congratulations on the MOT Kris. Car is looking really good. Glad you sorted out the starting problem.
                                Billing on the cards for this year then?

Comment

Working...
                                X