White GTE restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White GTE restoration

I thought I should start a restoration thread. It's probably a bit late as a huge majority of the work has been done now after well over a years worth of work. I just need to learn how to use photo bucket now
    Last edited by mrdezzer; 10-01-2012, 07:57 PM.

Re: White GTE restoration

That's lovely! Such a shame those rims didn't come in a 15x7 size. Wouldn't need to do a thing with 'em then.

Comment

Well the photo part went ok I best let you know my aim! The aim of this is to keep the car original and complete a full nut and bolt restoration. I have purchased a number of genuine GM parts as I'm trying to use original were possible. Main work carried out has been changing all engine gaskets, full head rebuild, plugs, oil, rotor arm dizzy cap leads hoses etc etc. I have replaced the rear ends of the sills the rest was solid, underside has been partly shot blasted but not yet finished.

Second main job was to restore the plastics as you can see in the photos they have come up well. I followed by painting one of the inner arches back to factory Finish.

The car is really solid and is not yet suffering from the split bulkhead. The only rust on the car now is the drivers side rear lower quarter and arch and the front passenger wing is beyond repair. The car will be having a full respray and new panels.

I will post some more pics soon once I get the hang

Thanks all

Comment

Thats minty Mr D.
        Anymore pics from start to finish?

Chris

Comment

Thanks Davey I agree about the rims seems daft when ford used 15inch at the time. My plan is to have the wheels restored when I have the bodywork completed. Obviously the bodywork is one of the last jobs. I have nearly completed the interior. The interior is totally original with an original head unit which I managed source still in the box!. I have replaced most of the interior for new with the exception of the parts which I will fit after the respray. Nothing is missing in the interior now all plastics intact and new electric aerial. Sorry for my poor post lay out im not sure where I should start first

Comment

Thanks Chris I don't have many photos from the early days but John will vouch for the amount of parts I have bought, I could not have carried out the restore properly without his help

Comment

Just a random picture of the kick panel reminding me I need to fit the new kick panel screws.

I started to use dinitrol cavity wax with the pump in the sills and sent the camera down to see the final results

Comment

Originally posted by mrdezzer View Post
                Thanks Chris I don't have many photos from the early days but John will vouch for the amount of parts I have bought, I could not have carried out the restore properly without his help
                I'll send you my old pics or pinch them!
                glad to see this thread as the car was bought by
                me off eBay for £1300 ( as I wanted parts for champ replica)without seeing it then sat on my
                drive! Went well but I was gutted seeing rusty arches at the train station
                may have been from Wellingborough
                Last edited by dancedj; 10-01-2012, 08:34 PM.

Comment

I came down to buy the car after arriving home from honeymoon. It didnt go down well but I drove the car from Swindon to East Yorkshire without any problems and the restoration began. It's in a much better state than when I first saw it but still a long way to go and now looks ok close up now! I now have parts all over the place ready to be fitted

The last installment of parts!
                  Last edited by mrdezzer; 10-01-2012, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Looks like my whole house but mine has champ leather waiting to
                    go back in champ no 2 & ship to Norway!
                    Reason I'm stopping parts is Mr Dezzer has almost finished!

Comment

looks quite nice in the 1st pic...... and will look much better when its dressed in its new parts

Comment

Thanks terri, be good to see an update on yours. I received two suspension top mounts today just as spares as these seem to be becoming quite rare. I now have pretty much all replacement parts but not fitting any of it now until the full respray is complete. Then my mission is this

The finish is yellow iridescent and I have found a firm who will do a full barrel for £35.00 so all the nuts and bolts on the whole car with this finish will be restored

Comment

looks stunning mate

Comment

Mr D update will be coming soon, atm im running around getting quotes for paint.

Comment

Thanks 7unner172 same here terri! I have decided who is going to paint it just need to have the underside etc finished before I have the paint sorted. That will then mean I can fit my mountain of parts
                              Last edited by mrdezzer; 12-01-2012, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X