From shonk to.......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: From shonk to.......

I know, I see my welding improve from time to time as well, even though I'm not getting that much practise. But in all honesty I am still just a bodger, but there is always something that could have been done better and I guess that's what makes it go better recognizing that.

This is some stuff I did yesterday:

Which is a massive improvement over me last year LOL!

And yes, I've been listening to the other half saying things like that too for tha last five years. Maybe I should let her choose the next car if she thinks she can do it so much better!

Comment

Yeah that looks like a neat idea there Vinci.

Thick stuff like that is a lot easier to do though! Even the thin stuff on the bench is not that bad, it's all those hard to reach bits that's the pain. You get the torch in, manage to fit a light so you can see then tuck you head in with the mask. Then somehow have to fit another hand in, with filler rod of a decent length and not fall over at the same time while keeping the tungsten about 1mm off the weld pool..

I must be mad....
      Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

Hahahah. yes, even with MIG it's a right pain, especially when having to weld upwards, which must be a little easier with the TIG...

That above, is an improvement of great scale if I may say so. It is a WHOPPING improvement to throttle response/response to the wheels!!

Last edited by Vinci; 01-09-2013, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Either up or down with the tig on thicker stuff, but I'd go downhill on the thin stuff if I can. Too easy to burn a hole in the thin stuff going up, all depends where you can get the filler to and see whats going on.. I must admit it is tempting to drill a hole in the corners to feed the rod in, then weld down to it and over to fill.

Comment

Some progress this afternoon

Made up a patch for the floor and welded it in then painted inside the cills, drilled some holes then clamped it all on. Then started the welding which went ok so far, really need to get my finger out and get this side done this week.

Red Astra by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Comment

Nice job, very nice welding,

Comment

Lovely how that TIG does sheet metal, when in the right hands off course!

Comment

Cheers
                  I still think it looks rough tbh, much easier to make it neat on thicker stuff on the bench. But practice makes perfect I suppose, next time I'll get a mig for some parts.

Comment

Its all in your perfectionist's head mate, that's anything but rough looking.

Comment

Originally posted by gte 16v View Post
                      That makes two of us!

Comment

Originally posted by gte 16v View Post
                        Originally posted by Vinci View Post
                        That makes two of us!
                        Lol cheers

Managed a couple of half hour's in the shed this week, far too much going on really I need some extra hours in the day.

Airsawed and tacked

Comment

have you ever used those cleco things boss ?

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
                            have you ever used those cleco things boss ?
                            Cant say that I have, I do seem to get on fine without. I just cut a few inches at a time then tack, as the tack cools it close's the gap. I find if you cut the whole line in one go then the shrinkage makes it harder to line up.

But I do want to get some as I want to try some aircraft rivets for a project I'm thinking off, that and I picked up some rivet set's cheap for the air chisel.
                            Last edited by BenH; 01-11-2013, 08:20 PM.

Comment

Decent work dude nice to see you are back on this again

Comment

Originally posted by tonka666 View Post
                                Decent work dude nice to see you are back on this again
                                Cheers Bud

So this afternoon got the rest of the cill welded in, with a bit of experimentation finally got a method for doing plug welds with the tig with not too much bother!

So after I'd drilled the holes off the car, first I gave them a tickle with the air hammer and flat snap (been after one for a while) with a dolly behind. Then using a egg shaped carbide burr, cleaned the hole and countersunk it a little.

Then with a lot more amps than I using before (the inner cill repair part is 2.5mm thick) and tungsten sticking out a lot, managed to melt a pool into the centre of the hole add some filler and flow it out..

Not too bad once you have a system worked out! But I will tidy a few up on the other side when I finish the floor patches there.

Then got on with other stuff for the car, but that's in the other thread

Comment

Working...
                                X