non servo assisted brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non servo assisted brakes

i have a plan to convert an astra to electric, sometime in the future, and im after info on the brakes side, as once the engines gone, there will be no vacuum assist for the brakes.

what systems can be fitted to rectify this ?

Re: non servo assisted brakes

Electric vacume pump. Did you know it already existed? (electric astra)

I am along the same lines, but then thought about plug in hybrid it, rear wheel drive, so it becomes a four wheel drive. This system is already endorsed by some manufacturers, and some universities plan to invent/release a kit that can basically convert just about any car to a hybrid four wheel drive.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Vinci View Post
        Electric vacume pump.
        i know about these pumps, but didnt want to use one.
        i dont want to waste any electricity if possible, as im going to need as much as i can get.

i used to have a mk1 fiesta years ago, and from what i remember, im fairly sure that didnt have any assist on it.
        the breaks felt pretty responsive, and it could lock the wheels at 95 mph / top speed.

didnt know about the electric astra. good to see someone else has done it

Comment

Originally posted by Vinci View Post
          I am along the same lines
          you should do it one day, electric will be the way forward eventually

Comment

Thats not done by someone, but a factory made electric car.

Comment

the stereo's been ditched, to save on fuel ... probably wise.

i wonder what the heating system is like now, without coolant.
              maybe some low kilowatt electric heaters would do the job ok, without draining too much.

and rev gauge, im not quite sure how to get working, not that it really matters tho.

Comment

fiesta only weight 750 kilos though

most of the motorsport brake packages dont have servo assist, just need to get your leverages correct (pedal pivot to clevis) but will be allot harder to apply still, of course

Comment

That electric Astra is absolutely fascinating, never knew such a thing existed. And it DOES have a brake servo, and a custom instrument pack. And two fan switches. And, more interestingly, a gearbox and clutch...

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
                    fiesta only weight 750 kilos though

most of the motorsport brake packages dont have servo assist, just need to get your leverages correct (pedal pivot to clevis) but will be allot harder to apply still, of course
                    youll have to excuse me for sounding retarded, but with that kind of brake setup, do you only have the master cylinder, on its own, and no big, circular servo ?

like this are they (no servo) ? .. just link the pedal to that gold shaft of the master cylinder. and with a longer pedal you say, for more leverage ?
                    sounds like a plan

Comment

Longer pedal or closer placed joints...

I don't really know all the details about that Opel Impuls 1, as far as I know it was rather a concept than something serious. It does have some interesting features, such as a rev counter that has the redline from 4K to 7K. Genuine questions though about the servo, heating, double blower switch, really makes you wonder!

Comment

gearbox ratio's is another thing i think will need looking into.

maybe an f13 wide, with a 3.55 diff, like the diesel box's have, will work the best, as the electric motors have a similar output, of low power, and high torque.

might suit it a bit better

Comment

Originally posted by astra216 View Post
                          youll have to excuse me for sounding retarded, but with that kind of brake setup, do you only have the master cylinder, on its own, and no big, circular servo
                          you are right. just a reservoir, master cylinder, hoses, slave cylinder. although your picture looks like an OEM system rather than what i was thinking of. if you all you did was delete the servo the pedal effort required would be immense, the same as if you use your brakes now with the engine off. aftermarket (brembo, compbrake, rally design etc) use longer pedals (more mechanical advantage but increased travel) pedal box and balance bar plus compact separate cylinders for front and rear.

Comment

Working...
                          X