spring life & un-equal lowering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• spring life & un-equal lowering

do suspension springs generally last an age, or do they get fubar after X amount of use ?

my astra feels like a boat, and it goes ker-bang over speed bumps and pot holes.
    I want to remedy this, without turning the car into a spine shocker.

I was looking into bilstein B4 shocks, but wasn't sure if I needed to replace the 1989 spring's too ?

the standard ride height at the back is perfect, I don't want it to go anywhere.
    but the ride height at the front needs to come down atleast 20mm.

what would you guys recommend ?

Re: spring life & un-equal lowering

do you know whats on the car now ?

Comment

yeah - as far as im aware.... all standard 1.3 stock items, possibly as old as the car

I was thinking to get replacement standard springs at the rear, to go with the B4's

but at the front, im not sure. I want it to come down a smidge, not loads, but a little. and unsure of what to do .... especially as theres a 1.6 going in soon, which will be a tad heavier, and probably need different springs.

Comment

Yes, springs age as far as I am lead to believe, but I've also seen it happen a few times, cannot guarantee it's a standard occurance though. It is mentioned in some documentation of spring manufacturers, though, that may be commercially biased off course, I know the advised mileage to swap them that is prescribed is...

Page 10:

Genuine GM stock springs can still be ordered, but they are sick expensive. Sometimes they pop up silly cheap on ebay, and OCP in germany also keep some in stock. Mind you though, that for the front side GM used to stock about 20 different springs, so if you are picky about getting the same as stock fitted it can become a bit of a study...

Comment

I scanned through that pdf, and it pretty much said :

" your springs are knackered - replace them immediately " lol

so im guessing the back end has most likely sagged a couple centimetres, and will be higher once renewed, hmm

Comment

my merit had a nose up stance when i bought it, which is now nose down since fitting new springs. (rear raised about 20mm)

not entirely sure how you will manage to lower the car with standard springs or spring rates, it would be a proverbial mine field.

more modern gas dampers made a huge impact to ride (compared to the standard oil filled)

Comment

maybe I want some 30/30 springs to go with the b4's in that case, if the arse ends gonna rise up once refreshed.

g-max do a 30mm spring kit for a lot less money than the rest. will g-max be crap ?

Comment

id get some eibachs if I could afford it, but all in with the shocks, its probably gonna cost £300, which is worth more than the car

Comment

If you like, I can order you some Sachs springs, which are equivalent to stock and definitely fine quality. A lot more affordable though.

Eibachs are nice, but definitely not as comfortable as stock springs.

EDIT: Just read your post above, but in fact, Eibachs are pretty cheap, at around 100 quid all round.

Original springs are easily 280-300 quid per axle. And Sachs come at around 140 quid per axle.

It's what it costs, suspension parts are some of the most important parts that define so much of the cars ride quality. If you don't intend to keep the car for many mroe years I can understand you are holding back on the budget, but if you like to keep it and want it to drive nicely, just for yourself, then I'd definitely advise not to cut the budget on it too much....
                  Last edited by Vinci; 08-05-2014, 07:31 PM.

Comment

eibach still market springs for non gte shopping model mk2, so dont even have to go down the mk3 route.

definitely dont get g-max, you already have a dislike for crashy suspension this might push you over the edge

Comment

cheers guys. appreciate the info.

you get what you pay for when it comes to suspension I guess.

I simply cant afford to get anything decent, so they'll have to stay standard until I win the lottery

Comment

.. and that could take a fair while, as I don't even play it lol

Comment

ok, Im sold

B4's all round with eibach springs it is !

just gotta sell everything I own, and then, fresh ride ahoy

can the front shocks/springs be changed without a vice ?

Comment

Originally posted by Vinci View Post
                            Eibachs are pretty cheap, at around 100 quid all round.
                            where did you find those mate ? .. cheapest I can find are £178

Comment

Ebay Germany. I chose MK3 springs as they are a little higher spring rate, the MK2 springs tend to lower rather 40-50mm than 30mm...

You technically do need a spring compressor, though I would know a method that would make them obsolete. You could release the top nut while the car is on it's feet, then unbolt all the balljoints and axle nut, caliper, disc etc. and then drop the strut out, where the spring will decompress gradually. With the Eibachs being a lot shorter I was able to bolt the lot together without spring compressors.

Comment

Working...
                              X