Fitting a DAB Head Unit in a GTE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting a DAB Head Unit in a GTE

Anyone fitted a DAB Head Unit in their GTE?

If so did you still use your existing standard Electric Aerial for FM reception and for DAB reception did you fit an additional DAB Aerial like the stick on wind screen types?

Just a query before I buy one

Thanks

Re: Fitting a DAB Head Unit in a GTE

You will need to buy a DAB aerial mate, they basically stick to the windscreen by the pillar. Your normal aerial will be obsolete.

Comment

Thanks for replying

Wondering if one of these splitters would be worth a try?

Comment

Originally posted by v33tra View Post
        Thanks for replying

Wondering if one of these splitters would be worth a try?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Autoleads-PC.../dp/B00FRGBLIW
        So what does that do? Join the two aerials?

Comment

Joined aerials are all too common in mobile phones mate, to be able to reach the 900/1800 frequency band. They connect to one and the same point.

Here seen at the top, a short (half length) straight trace on the PCB, and a long curly trace. It'll be the most optimal antenna length that will dominate the reception, no matter if they are conducting to the same point.

Comment

Originally posted by 1800turbogte View Post
            So what does that do? Join the two aerials?

No this unit splits your normal aerial into DAB & FM use

As far as I can make out a DAB H/U has two aerial ports one for DAB and one for FM hence my original question but the plugs are different the DAB being an SMB type plug

Since asking this question I have done some research and it would seem for FM you still use your existing aerial

So this splitter allows you to use your existing car aerial for both DAB & FM however not being a dedicated DAB Aerial or designed for that use I am not sure how effective it would be and probably best to fit a stand alone DAB Aerial for those signals

Comment

You should as the frequency band is miles apart, which requires a completely different type of antenna.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinci View Post
                You should as the frequency band is miles apart, which requires a completely different type of antenna.
                I was thinking that also

Driving my GTE with it`s current Sony cd player does my head in with cd`s jumping and skipping every time I go over a bump so time for a change to something that can take a diffferent format like memory sticks etc

Anyway after a day of research I have decided to go for this DAB H/U I did look at more expensive units with BT but opted for this one as I like the front usb feature and the Pioneer DEH range has received some great reviews

With this Window mounted aerial for the DAB reception side of things

Halfords supply a wide range of sat navs from top brands to keep you on the right road. Check out our best sat nav deals available online today.

I will post how I get on after fitting it

Comment

This is what I got fitted recently:

It's quite good, sounds great, good reception, no DAB though, but lots of good features... And best of all it fits in 1 din, even though it has this humongous display in it. Needed to bend the clips in the frame a tad further though, otherwise it fouls with the console.

Comment

I've also got an intersting speaker set, with Fountek FR88EX fitted in the original front positions, but sealed at the back by a PVC tube housing, then got a 3,5 liter 'subwoofer' with two 4" little bass drivers, and fitted that behind the glove compartment. Okay, it's never near as loud as systems with huge amplifiers and subwoofers in the boot, but it has a very natural and phase correct sound as it all comes from the front. This makes it sound nicely equally spread and homogenous throughout the whole car. It's also not been too costly, the whole system was around 200 euro including the headunit.

The nicest thing is, you don't see a thing of it!

Comment

Hi, the DAB aerial as far as I know.The metal bit needs to touch metal on the car ie the pillar. I'm not a 100% sure thou lol. Will watch with interest on your progress.

In my GTE, I have 10cm Infinity Kappa speakers in the original front mount position these are powered up by a Cadence q600 4 channel amp.
                      I have two Cadence Q600 amps they are either side behind the panel under the rear quarter windows.
                      In the boot in the spare wheel recess are Two 12" Comp VR subs.
                      My head unit is a Kenwood Mask 859 I think, I also am getting fed up with the constant jumping of CDs everytime I hit a bump lol.

I'l be interested to know how you get on

Chris

Comment

This is my second unit with usb and I love it, must admit though it takes ages for it to load the 32gb stick.

Comment

Nice installs guys

Well I bought the Pioneer DAB unit today and it was a very easy install

As posted above the DAB Aerial does need to earth off metal on the A pillar under the side trim then the Coax and a voltage wire to amplify the aerial are run to the head unit, the rest is just the same as any other other head unit

Works perfectly so far DAB signals are strong and clear with no break up

My existing electric aerial still operates as normal and is used for FM signals which are also good

Nice unit and so far very happy with it for the money, Speaker wise I have only have Alpine units in the original locations so not seen

Comment

Cool impressed that you have great signal, and yay I was right that makes a change

Comment

Working...
                            X