Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

system cutting out....Optima Yellow Top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• system cutting out....Optima Yellow Top?

are these batteries worth it?

my system cuts completley then comes back in by itself 5 seconds later, it only happend when i turn it up and its about to hit a deep base note,

i tried a power cap and thats just a waste of time to be honest i dont think it does anything,

any1 used these yellow top batterys? do you think it would make a difference?

Re: system cutting out....Optima Yellow Top?

If the problem happens when the engine running, it's either due to the alternator needs upgrading or your wiring needs upgrading. Or possibly a fault with the amp. These big batteries are really more for shows etc where you need to run the system without the engine running for longer periods of time.

Comment

thanks for your advice, all the equipment is fine, i tested them all.

the alternator kicks out over 14v on idle.

wiring is good, im a bit stuck.

thanks anyway.

Comment

14V on idle but what about under heavy load? What does the system consist of?

Wiring is good? Have you upgraded the under bonnet earths?

Comment

My guess is the amp isn't powerful enough to run flat out. Or maybe the gain on the amp may need turning down to stop it from clipping/cutting out.
          What system do you have and how is it run.

Chris

Comment

i have a 15" alpine type r sub, running off a alpine mrd 501 mono amp, i used to run the same setup in my vectra with no issues.

the wires are run normally with aid of a power cap.

as for the under bonnet earth, when i bought the car (approx 5 years ago) i changed the earth cable for a thicker guage new one as the old one's inslutation was split and looked it battered, so i changed it, other than that i have not done anything to the bonnet,

i've got a 2.2 omega diesel gm battery in there.

and thats about it,

thanks for your replies,

is there anything else to consider?

Comment

OK that shouldn't be enough to really strain the charging system to it's limits. There are 3 under bonnet earths, battery to shell, battery to engine and alternator to engine. You may want to upgrade these, but to be honest I think the problem is something else.
              Last edited by richie00boy; 13-03-2009, 09:08 AM.

Comment

have u also checked the earth point from the amp to chassis in the rear, if that hasnt got a good contact that will also make it cut out, ie not bolted to a seat mount or a painted bolt in the boot area? also check the fuse on the inline of the live wire, have had problems with these not letting enough current through too.

Comment

Originally posted by laney View Post
                  have u also checked the earth point from the amp to chassis in the rear, if that hasnt got a good contact that will also make it cut out, ie not bolted to a seat mount or a painted bolt in the boot area? also check the fuse on the inline of the live wire, have had problems with these not letting enough current through too.
                  Good point

Comment

Working...
                  X