Tools and Equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools and Equipment

Well thought I'd start a separate thread as I have a few things to build, all car related stuff just to make life easier really..

So just to recap with the bits already made..

First up, corner weight gauge..

Added a piece of round stock into a piece of 25mm box section.

Corner weight gauge by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Hammered that in.

That got welded and profiled, it has a 10-1 lever ratio. So 100mm out from the piviot and 1000mm out to the point the scale mounts on.

With a cheap ebay 50kg luggage scale, give a use up to 500kgs

The finished up with some powdercoat.

Astra GTE by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Then onto the camber gauge..

Started with a piece of 40mm angle iron and some 10mm thick Perspex, using a large compass worked out where the marks go. Have marked it at 1' and every 0.5'

Camber gauge by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

The bolts on the side's sit on the wheel edge, do they can be adjust for different diameter's. Also you zero the gauge using them.

Camber gauge by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Again finished up with some powder..

Astra GTE by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr
    Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Re: Tools and Equipment

Then the press, which has been very handy to date so far..

Started with cutting up some heavy C channel about 120mm x 50mm, which was blasted first to make it easy.

press (1) by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Welded the top 2 parts together to make a box section, it was a tig root pass then fill and cap with 7016 3.2mm rods.

press (2) by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Same again for the side, tig root and arc fill and cap.

press (4) by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

press (5) by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Then the table section, drilled a hole to spot weld a bolt to.

press (6) by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

press (7) by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Then welded the other side..

press (8) by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Added a bit to take the ram, chopped up one of the bits that came with it. It's a sealy 10T porta power..

pressed (2) by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

It's 700mm wide and 1200mm high, so a decent size..

pressed (1) by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Tested then painted..

pressed (3) by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

pressed (4) by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Comment

So that brings me up to tonight and the next project/s, First up is a high pressure waxoyl injector/sprayer (will see how it works). Also I'm making a pressure pot media blaster, which is needed to sort some bits on the Red GTE..

So started with a little gas bottle, I welded a M22 nut on top (I think it was off a hgv spring U bolt) that a blanking plug fitted.

Cavity wax injector by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Then put the top guard back on and fitted a plate to tap out on the side, one on the bottom too as I wanted a good bit to tap.

Then as a safety interlock, so to remove the fill point you have to take off the airline..

So added some feet and paint..

Then the sprayer nozzles I plan to use, micro irrigation ones with a 360 spray..

Then plan is to run air into it at the top, thinned waxoyl out the bottom and out a tap/valve. That will go into a T piece and I'll run the air from the regulator into the back, just like a blaster to add some speed to fluid and help to hopfully make a mist rather than spray out the nozzle.

I'll add a tap/valve to the air supply goes to the spray bit as well for good measure, just need them to turn up in the post!

Then make the media blaster
      Last edited by BenH; 17-07-2013, 10:09 PM.

Comment

So while waiting for the bits to finish up the waxoyl jobbie, got started on the sand blaster..

First up removed the valve and purged the cylinder..

Media blaster by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Then plasma cut the valve mounting hole out, even though the cylinder is only 3mm thick. The top valve mount is quite thick, I needed some of it still fitted to give the right size for the filler neck..

The filler neck is a standard gas pipe fitting welded on, same again on the bottom for the sand outlet..

I have a some proper blast hose to go on, was from a burst line at work. But only went on the edge of a sharp bend so that will get cut out..

It's going to be a pressure pot type rather than a rubbish suction setup, though will have a small nozzle at first until I get the 2nd compressor unit plumbed and wired in. I'll be running two 3hp unit so should give me a good 20cfm, which will mean a decent size nozzle and pressure..

Comment

Just piping up to say someone is watching with interest, didn't want you to feel lonely

Comment

Cheers

Did you ever pipe in the 2nd compressor?

I'm thinking running a T on the tank inlet with 2 unloader valves, one for each unit each with a separate control. I can set them to different pressure, with a different differential setting so the 2nd only comes in under high use. Or indeed when it's turned on.. Sound ok?

Comment

No I didn't, not yet had the need. But that is exactly what I had in mind esp the pressure.

I intend to feed a large red gas cylinder as a res, 47Kg?

Comment

Something tells me you watched excessive amounts of blue peter as a child. Top work bud, some impressive fabrication skills going on.

Comment

Yeah 47kg, my receiver is a 47 already. More than big enough I waxoyled mine inside as they are uncoated, dare say some epoxy would of been better but was what I had to hand on the day..

This is mine when I got it, bit different now though. I fitted a belt guard and pressure switch, replumbed it and changed the 2hp to a 3hp motor with a bigger drive pulley

compressor by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

How it stands now..

compressor by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Then this is what I picked up to add on..

compressor 2 by ben a.k.a me, on Flickr

Not bad for 20 quid
                  Last edited by BenH; 18-07-2013, 09:59 PM. Reason: Sorting the pics out properly

Comment

Originally posted by marks-gte View Post
                    Something tells me you watched excessive amounts of blue peter as a child. Top work bud, some impressive fabrication skills going on.

Cheers

Naa Bud was the A team !

Comment

Originally posted by BenH View Post
                      Cheers

Naa Bud was the A team !
                      Ah, that explains everything

Comment

cant be A-Team, not enough bullet proof hub caps mounted on the outside of everything

i like the compressor, with the lick of engineering grade hammered blue finish, nobody would actually question it wasnt a purchased version !

Comment

Missed this thread all good stuff mate ! The A Team and the dukes had far to big an influence on my driving style and made me want to learn to weld and build bulldozers that launch watermellons at bad guys

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
                            cant be A-Team, not enough bullet proof hub caps mounted on the outside of everything

i like the compressor, with the lick of engineering grade hammered blue finish, nobody would actually question it wasnt a purchased version !
                            I shall have to add some to the van, with a red stripe

Yeah the compressor is really well made, I got it 3rd or 4th hand from ebay for peanuts. The pump unit is fantastic really, perhaps off a old bus but has a little piston oil pump inside to feed the big end bearings and a squirter for the bore and little ends!

Originally posted by tonka666 View Post
                            Missed this thread all good stuff mate ! The A Team and the dukes had far to big an influence on my driving style and made me want to learn to weld and build bulldozers that launch watermellons at bad guys
                            Cheers Bud..
                            Trash can Tunnel boring machine, that's how I roll...

Comment

Superb!

Comment

Working...
                              X