Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Laurie's First Track Day Car

Originally posted by gte 16v View Post
    Hi Laurie, great job on the calipers, i've,ve done the same for my rears but i have struggled to get replacement seals and pistons.
    These should fit the rears:

And loads more stuff is still well available...
    http://autopartsmarket.co.nl/?action...part_view&data[id_make]=7&data[id_model]=85&data[id_model_detail]=7170&data[id_part]=10730&data[sort]=&data[name_group]=

http://autopartsmarket.co.nl/?action...part_view&data[id_make]=7&data[id_model]=85&data[id_model_detail]=7170&data[id_part]=10906&data[sort]=&data[name_group]=

The above links appear to interfere a bit with the forum code here, but the site is also in English, and they do have a lot of stuff for the mk2:

Febi is also quite cheap, throw some Febi partnumbers in their search engine and be amazed!
    Last edited by Vinci; 21-12-2013, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Same hose's on the rear I think, as they just link up to the copper pipe on the rear beam. Unless you have a load compensator valve thingy? Though I don't remember seeing one on a GTE..
      Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

Front and rear flex hoses are the same on all models and yes they are a worth while purchase for a track focused car as they will help give a former pedal.

What make/model pads will you be running on the front once the new calipers are ready for fitting?

Comment

Ferodo 3466F

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
            Front and rear flex hoses are the same on all models and yes they are a worth while purchase for a track focused car as they will help give a firmer pedal.

What make/model pads will you be running on the front once the new calipers are ready for fitting?
            Originally posted by Vinci View Post
            Ferodo 3466F

Cheers Harvey, and yes exactly as Vincent says I have a set of 3466F's ( infact I have 4 sets and with the new disks I expect they will last somewhat better than my last brakes ).

So I'd better put a set of these on my Christmas/New Year list then

Laurie.

Comment

Those caliper seals can be a real pain to do at times, because the piston seal is connected to the dust boot.

Comment

Originally posted by KEV View Post
                Those caliper seals can be a real pain to do at times, because the piston seal is connected to the dust boot.
                Trying to scare me or what?

Good news (well if we call it good news) is that the piston seal is independent of the boot, but I can see its the fact that the boot seats in a grove just ahead of the piston seal so it will be like fitting a condom on a Hippo in the dark with a pair of mittens!

Bad news is that one seal kit arrived today but the other is on back order and will follow in January ... probably be cutting it tight for a mid Jan Snetterton track day now

I'll try get pictures as fit the seals ....

Laurie.

Comment

It's not that difficult.. Be positive, you can do it

Comment

Originally posted by easytrans View Post
                    Trying to scare me or what?

I'll try get pictures as fit the seals ....

Laurie.
                    Ha Ha no, sorry! I was just commenting offhand. I'm wrong anyway so ignore me. I'm getting confused with some Golf ones I did, where the piston pressure seal, and the dust boot are all one and the same, its a real pain in the arse, and you need a sizer and sleeve to do it, as you have to insert the piston at the same time as an assy.

Those ones shouldn't be too bad. Seals are hard to come by now. It's not something thats done a lot in garages these days to be honest, they just fit exchange calipers.

Kev.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                      It's not that difficult.. Be positive, you can do it
                      Yes Roger, I have no fears on that (or I'd not have taken them apart ).

Originally posted by KEV View Post
                      Ha Ha no, sorry! I was just commenting offhand. I'm wrong anyway so ignore me. I'm getting confused with some Golf ones I did, where the piston pressure seal, and the dust boot are all one and the same, its a real pain in the arse, and you need a sizer and sleeve to do it, as you have to insert the piston at the same time as an assy.

Those ones shouldn't be too bad. Seals are hard to come by now. It's not something thats done a lot in garages these days to be honest, they just fit exchange calipers.

Kev.
                      Yup Kev, gone are the days of rebuilding stuff .. thats what I liked about motor engineering back when it 'was engineering" and not just "fitting"

Anyway, another couple of hours work here in the office and I'm done for Xmas ......

So Merry Xmas to everyone and have fun but most of all keep safe.

Laurie.

Comment

Merry X-mas to you too.

Comment

Rebuilding these is a total laugh, fit the rubber o-ring in the caliper gap, put a little smear of grease on the o-ring and fit the piston with the boot already on...

Assembly of an ATE brake caliper, as fitted to many European Vehicles - Inc Alfa, Audi, BMW, Citroen, Fiat, Ford, Honda, Jaguar, Mercedes, Nissan, Opel, Peug...

Comment

Originally posted by Vinci View Post
                            Rebuilding these is a total laugh, fit the rubber o-ring in the caliper gap, put a little smear of grease on the o-ring and fit the piston with the boot already on...
                            If I said that's exactly as I would have been fitting them you'd never believe me but its the truth

Also remember that the kits of "guide rubber bushes" the ones that the sliding guide bolts go through come as a kit for "both sides" so no need to order 2 sets as I did

But at least I can replace now also the ones on WRT (the 16v) when I bring it out of storage next year

Thanks for the link though Vincent.

Laurie.

Comment

Nah, I don't judge you that low Laurie, after the stuff I've seen you do on here I would definitely have thought you'd figure this one out yourself. Just trying to be helpful, and the video does show quite nicely how it's done.

I always use silicone grease, don't know what kind of grease the official ATE paste is though??

Comment

Not much progress as work, weather, and waiting for a few odds and ends has added delay.

I did give the callipers a blow over with the grit blaster just to get into those difficult corners .....

A bit of a makeshift bench for the blaster pot though ..... lol

even cleaned the bleed nipples up nice ....

ready for paint ......

Opted for this tin of black rather than the red 2 pack kit I had on the shelf .....

So plenty of drying time as I'm waiting on one seal kit to arrive in a week or so from Germany so I'm told ( by AutoVaux) ...

A few of the other odds and ends are here and ready but I'll not start pulling off the old callipers and pipes until I've got the other seals ......

Recently ordered: Disks, Braided hoses, Dot 4 fluid, Calliper seals, a set of floating bushes, competition pads and even a new tool box and spare roller cab (as the hinge has bust on my faithful old plastic tool box and everything keeps spilling onto the floor) ....

To be continued ........

Laurie

Comment

Working...
                                X