Laurie's First Track Day Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Laurie's First Track Day Car

So this morning I bare metal'd the cage (now that's a mind numbing and wrist numbing job if ever there was one)

Then hung myself a nice set of tubular bells for some primer and rattle can'd then with grey primer .......

I also ordered 1 ltr of L425 (Polar White) and 1/2 ltr of RAL7037 (Dusty Grey) so I can paint the inside (white) and the cage (grey that will match the grey plastics) I'm using Cellulose as that's easy for me and safer.

So better get back and do some more .......

Laurie.

Comment

That will look sweet when complete Laurie

Comment

Nice work laurie i have to say i am jealous how quickly you got all this up together. Going to do at least one trackday next year but prob be in the gte rather than the track car unless a small lottery win comes about

Comment

Originally posted by 1800turbogte View Post
          That will look sweet when complete Laurie
          I hope so but its a bit of a gamble ... it may look crap

Originally posted by tonka666 View Post
          Nice work laurie i have to say i am jealous how quickly you got all this up together. Going to do at least one trackday next year but prob be in the gte rather than the track car unless a small lottery win comes about
          Doh! I was hoping that you would be doing the Blyton Park track day in Oct with the club

Yes its amazing when I was working I got so much done in a short time but now I have loads of time since the end of my work contract last month but so many distractions at the moment and I'm struggling to focus and get cracking on with some finishing touches and tidying it up ....

I really must try and get some sort of stability and focus again. Too many vehicles needing my attention and a long list of domestic jobs to do before my next job of work lol

Still as long as its ready for Oct and either the Ducato or the Jeep (tow vehicle is sorted) then that'l do

Laurie.

Comment

Originally posted by easytrans View Post
            Yes its amazing when I was working I got so much done in a short time but now I have loads of time since the end of my work contract last month but so many distractions at the moment and I'm struggling to focus and get cracking on with some finishing touches and tidying it up ....

I really must try and get some sort of stability and focus again. Too many vehicles needing my attention and a long list of domestic jobs to do before my next job of work lol

Laurie.
            Doh! why did I open my big mouth? ......... Phone rings this morning and its an agent that put me forward for a job in Norwich one that I had an interview on the Friday before heading to Billing, well they have now offered me the role ... and as they were so keen for me to join then It just seemed rude not to accept anyway its a 01/08/13 start so with a small shot of panic I spent 20 minutes this afternoon flatting out with wet & dry, the scratch marks I made when removing the sound deadening from the boot floor and wheel well.

Then unpacked my new small gravity feed gun (not a fan of Silverline tools but I bought this one a year or so ago mainly ready for door jams and small spaces when I paint the MGB) the pot is so small its a bit of a joke for big areas but will be fine for the cage ......

Anyway I mixed up some U-POL P88 high build primer 50/50 and applied it ... and yes I probably should have masked up a few bits like shock tops and belt hooks but I did get a bit carried away ....

I've still got to strip out the centre console and mask up the dash and get my big gun out .... but the gun was quite nice to handle ......

Oh and last night I welded a plate in where the fuel pump wire leaves the hatch floor as it was rusted away and the grommet was flopping around

I also gave the cage another coat of high build primer but then caught my airline on it and made a mark so just need to flat that out. Probably won't see any paint in the post till the weekend but at least I have a little focus again .......... just wondering how I will fit everything in when working Mon-Fri 07:30 - 19:00 again ........ Answers on a postcard please

Laurie.

Comment

Very nice smooth coat mate! Great job, but I would indeed recommend to be more careful with the parts around it, I am still scraping paint splatter from many interior bits!!

Comment

Nice Laurie!

Comment

nice all one colour, even in primer. always annoyed me about gte 1, of course as standard the floor pan was never to be seen, some places were not even body colour, just a whisp of it
                  Last edited by DarrenH; 30-07-2013, 08:39 AM.

Comment

I would love to go to blyton but i just don't think i can afford it at the moment . If i factor in tyre wear and the fuel costs its just a bit too much of a stretch But you never know if i have a good month in august it could all be different

Comment

Originally posted by tonka666 View Post
                      I would love to go to blyton but i just don't think i can afford it at the moment . If i factor in tyre wear and the fuel costs its just a bit too much of a stretch But you never know if i have a good month in august it could all be different
                      Ive found Blyton to be pretty light on tyre wear. Fuel costs are another matter altogether though!

Paul..
                      My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

very nice when can I book mine in with you

Comment

Originally posted by RallyMarshal View Post
                          Ive found Blyton to be pretty light on tyre wear. Fuel costs are another matter altogether though!

Paul..
                          Sorry been preoccupied with new job last couple of days (the joys of daily rail commuting) :-0 .......

But I have to agree with Paul on Blyton and tyres, my day there with the 16v (on standard road tyres) was great and hardly made a mark on the tyres though by the
                          end of the day I had them screeching 90% of the way around. Also I used 1 full tank of fuel (and was running most of the day).

But I can understand if there are other priorities.

Laurie.

Comment

So it seems like the worlds turned upside down for me now as my new job is going to be very demanding and while I like it to be the early starts (getting horses in and mucked out then getting myself ready) followed by a 20 minute drive to Stowmarket to catch the 07:55 to Norwich followed by a 15 minute walk to the office and then the reverse at night catching the 18:00 getting home for 19:00 leaves very little time to do anything on the car during the week.

So now weekends become very coveted

Anyway, last weekend I got more primer on the inside and also put a coat of lacquer (I had from some years back) on the cage and while not that special its coated and all one colour ........

So a week passed (and seemed like it passed in a day!!) and the primer set good and hard ......

Then this morning I got a couple of coats of white inside ...... typically I only bought 1 ltr of white and it went nowhere! so I think I need to splash out for another 2+1/2 if I plan to do the engine bay later ......

Well that's where we are ...

I guess working all week means the paint will get a better chance to dry a little more than it would if I was home and tempted to crack on too quickly

Sorry for anything I'm missing on the site meanwhile, but I try and browse between supper and bed time But with a full site migration due in 6 weeks and me having to get a brain dump of the departing sysadmin in the next 4 weeks means I'm running on information overload and anything else is a blur.

Laurie.

Comment

looking very nice laurie

Comment

Very fresh indeed
                                Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

Working...
                                X