• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GTE valver fast road/track car project

that looks so nice i wouldn't want to drive it lol it mite get dirty

Comment

I have to keep telling myself it's not a show car, it's being built to be driven...

Comment

amazing pictures. something very satisfying about a bare shell respray.

Comment

bloody hell mate, serously impressive stuff there!!! must feel really good to have the car back, and to have some bits back on it!!!

any polycarb windows gen? Ideally - how many windows have you had made up, where and cost lmao!

something very satisfying about a bare shell respray.
          I totallys agree there mate. Theres also something very scary about a bare shell respray Ive found... and thats putting it all back! LOL!!!

Comment

dunno about you, but the feel good factor knowing the shell is A1 would keep me going for years.

Comment

Harvey just make sure you never come off the track once you get it there!! Super Glue ur slicks!

We'd never forgive you

Comment

Originally posted by 0ddball
                dunno about you, but the feel good factor knowing the shell is A1 would keep me going for years.
                Yes I feel the same way.

Loving the pics Harvey, good job there. I'm thinking all that kind of thing might well happen to mine one day.

Did you spray the plastics a dark colour or have they just been dyed or treated?

Comment

oh yeah for sure me too, I've never liked the idea of driving a 'patchwork quilt' which is what my last GTE would have been to me after I'd got it sorted out.

The other thing I'm finding doing a baresehll rebuild like this is how mcuh better I feel knowing that I have inspected every inch of the shell, I know there are no hidden gremlins, and whats more as I peice it back together, I'll know how everything went together, thats its been done properly and how it works..... I guess its the 'in detail' aspect of the bare shell rebuild. Dunno if you feel the same thing Harvey?

Comment

Thanks for all the comments guys I really appreciate it as it helps spur me along. I already have a show car that's not seen the light of day for over a year now and won't be out this year either due to the GTE taking over my life.

When I started out on this project my first aim was to get a mint shell and work up from there and it's getting to that stage but not quite there yet as I'll be a lot happier after I've under sealed, work starts this weekend.

It's all in the detail Brett so when the bodywork is sorted I'll be a lot happier. As I'm building this myself everything will be to my standard so if it takes me twice as long at least I'll know it's done right, that's what hope anyway.

All the trim parts have been wafted over in a satin black but it's still a bit to shiny for my liking as I ideally wanted a matt black finish but I suppose they will do. Just makes them look a bit tidier as I'm going for a stock exterior look.

My polycarbonate windows came from here www.plastics4performance.co.uk and I opted for OE mount front sides with slider kit (mount inside the door frame like normal windows), OE bond in rear quarters windows with OE black outer edging (they also do the opening version), OE bond in rear window with OE black outer edging. All windows are clear but they also do grey tint in polycarb, total was £265 as I got free postage because I mentioned www.astra-mk2.com on the phone and said I would give them a plug. Stock plastic windows with no fancy black edging are a lot cheaper but I wanted polycarb for their inherent strength.

Been sourcing some bits today and off to my local rally spare shop tomorrow to buy a couple of sample studs for the stud conversion I’ll be running.

As I said I’m taking my time over the build so it’s done properly but setting target dates for myself. Tomorrow night front struts and wish bones to be removed.

Comment

Bit of a mad one this evening.

I gobbled dinner down and then went out to attack the GTE…

Strut and wish bones removed for painting

Wings removed to check what needs under sealing, tacked back on as I’m running out of room for everything

The mod I have done to the rear of the front wish bone bush to stop it sticking to the chassis stub, it’s been dremeled and the stainless bush insert cut down as I insert a washer (same as used on the nut end of the bolt) between the bush and stub.

Also got a sample wheel stub and nut from my local motorsport supplier www.roadrunnermotorsport.co.uk looks to be exactly what I’m after so going to buy the full set now. These are special one’s for Vauxhal’s as the F**d version have a shorter splined section.

Comment

Removed hubs from struts today and measured up the studs properly. Tim at www.tjmotorsport.co.uk has done me a cracking deal on the studs and nuts but need to check if the studs can be made with threads all the way to the end where the spline starts as steelies won't fit on hubs without spacers otherwise.

Trial fitted polycarb windows but will need to bolt and bond them in as they won't flex enough to just bond on.

Also got new front/rear bearings and ball joints. Dropped front anti roll bar, TAS mounts, wish bones and struts round at my Dads for painting.

Ordered front screen (green tint), battery and various stickers from Vauxhall.
                        Last edited by Harvey; 05-02-2006, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Attacked the dash today as I knew I was going to have to chop it about to get it to fit with the cage installed as the front cage legs on the RollCentre cage go through the dash. Finally, after about two hours it now goes in OK.

Just need to sort the flocking now but think I’m only going to do the top of the dash as it’s not worth messing with the rest. Also, going to be moving the fuse box to the passenger side above the glove box area as there is plenty of room.
                          Last edited by Harvey; 11-02-2006, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Looking great! Good luck!

Comment

looking good. i picked up a cage and fibreglass bonnet for my GTE today, the cage needs box sections welded in like yours has, did you by a kit of did the bodyshop make them up?
                              Last edited by astrasteve23; 06-02-2006, 12:05 AM.

Comment

looking good mate

Comment

Working...
                                X