GTE valver fast road/track car project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GTE valver fast road/track car project

How much was the screen? I asked at my dealer and they said they just use Auto Windscreens or whatever.

Comment

the dash looks Ok Harvey!! perhaps more glue might give a more even finish, thats what my first attempt looked like too.

how much is a new screen then if you dont mind me asking? mine got a scratch in it where a wiper blade has been left unfixed in the past, Im hoping it might polish out at the moment!
      Last edited by Brett; 28-04-2006, 06:33 PM.

Comment

The screen cost me £70 but retails from Vauxhall is £102. I'm going to have another go at the dash and see if I can get it right this time round.

Comment

just use loads of glue and loads of flock, thats how I do it. I put down a clean peice of plastic to catch the excess flock and reuse it if I can.

Is £70 tradeclub? thats not bad really.
          Last edited by Brett; 29-04-2006, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Looking Good

Comment

Yes &70 for the screen is through trade club, I'm not a member but my local dealer always gives me the discount

Popped to the scrappers yesterday and got loads of bits and pieces, diesel mk2 rad (another spare one), ATE 256mm calipers and nearly new discs (loads of Veccy 288mm sets there), all the extra battery wiring due to me moving it behind the passenger seat, door looms for the central locking as I used my exiting in my run about, loads of screws clips grommets dash ducting door seals spare bulbs fuses stalks etc

Managed to get the front screen installed on Saturday and was planning on spending the morning on the car today but it's raining.....I think its just stopped

This is the stuff I used to bond the front screen, I got it with my polycarb windows but used some different bond on them.

Last edited by Harvey; 01-05-2006, 08:33 AM.

Comment

more questions Harvey!

Diesel Mk2 Rad - is that bigger?? Theres a 1.6 Diesel MK2 festering on the farm where steve has his spare GTE thats all.....

Comment

My OE rad is nadged and I spotted that the mk2 diesel had the same lower x-member as the 16v so I grabbed the rad as it looked brand new and only cost £10. I'll compare the two this evening and post some pics, they do look identical even though EPC lists different part number for them.

Comment

interesting!! Ive got 2 16v ones but I will probably have a look anyway, steve might want it you never know!

Cheers Havey!

Comment

i have 2 spare 16v ones, one is brand new! no i wont sell one as it is very likely that i hit the front of the car on a rally. lol.

Comment

Checked the mk2 17D radiators I have this evening and found that they are exactly the same as the C20XE, even the fan assembly is the same.

C20XE rad on the left with the two 17D rads I have. All the holes and mounts are exactly the same.

C20XE fan assembly on the right. The 17D fans are again exactly the same but lighter as they are all plastic, the OE item won’t be getting fitted.

Spent the evening tidying up the central locking wiring loom as I made a mistake and left three wires going to the n/s door which aren't required. I have also moved the earth from the centre tunnel to where the control unit mounts. Going to get a Cav mk3 front n/s central locking motor as this contains the switch which activates the other motors when you push it down as well as a motor. The OE o/s central locking motor only contains the switch and doesn't have a motor, that's why you have to install a slave motor in the drives door if you want to run remote central locking.
                        Last edited by Harvey; 02-05-2006, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I always thought you had to fit it to the passenger door Harvey? thats what I was going to do on mine unless Ive got it round the wrong way!

Comment

No, Harvey has it the right way. I had to get a slave motor in my drivers door when I had a Cat 1 system fitted.

Comment

When the mk2 was built each door had a standard loom for both left and right hand drive.

For right hand drive the only central locking wires used in the n/s door are the black/red and black/yellow. These are either +ve or -ve so the motor pops up or down.

The only wires used in the o/s door are the brown (earth), brown/red and brown/white. These are used by the switch that feeds back to the central locking control unit which in turn applies the +ve or -ve to the black/red or black/yellow. The central locking unit in the o/s door only has the switch and doesn't have the motor.

I've now got a central locking motor/switch from a Cav mk3 boot as you can lock and unlock the central locking from the boot on a Cav. This unit has all five wires going to it as it contains both the switch and the motor.

Comment

arse, I didnt actually know what was involved at all then LMFAO!

I'll have to have a look and see whats going on with mine, IIRC I didnt touch the Central locking loom so it should still all bve there.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                X