GTE valver fast road/track car project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car was loaded up last night.

This morning off I popped to AP Racing Engines to have the car setup with the new VXR injectors and Fuelab fuel pressure regulator.

After initial checks and a chat with Andrew the fuel pressure was left as I had set it at 2.6 Bar and my existing map was changed.

Just under 3 hours later and all was complete. As I’m still running hydraulic lifters the soft limit was lowered to 7,900rpm and the hard limit at 8,100rpm. It was previously set at 8,200rpm and 8,400rpm which is really only safe for solid lifters.

The final result was as I had hoped 221bhp but the torque was up by a healthy chunk to 180lbft. Super happy with that and the car is nearly ready for its next outing at Blyton Park on Sunday 18th September.

Only downer of the day was the Brise starter motor wasn’t playing ball after the mapping. The solenoid was clicking away but no motor engagement grr. Fine once it had cooled as it fired into life so I’m going to borrow an OE spare and send the starter back to Brise for a refurb.

Comment

• Nice work good to see it almost ready now

Comment

• nice results with mapping!

Comment

• top results !!

p.s the formula vauxhall lotus engines used to rev to 8500 on hydraulics, but they were new crate engines. probably "ok" for half a second before grabbing a gear but deffo not for sustained high revs

Comment

• After the starter motor issues I borrowed a spare from Paul (Rallymarshal). I had to complete a slight mod to the support bracket to clear the equal length shaft rear block fixing. Just for curiosity I weighed both; Brise = 3.1kg, OE = 5.3kg.

I then had the same issue with the OE starter and found I was randomly getting low voltage at the solenoid so popped the Brise back on. I then replaced the ignition switch and starter button with brand new items as well as a spot of rewiring and all seems OK now but time will tell.

The rocker gasket was beginning to leak so it was replaced. Still looking nice and fresh inside with a genuine Elring gasket fitted.

All sorted for Blyton Park track day this coming Sunday 18th September.
            Last edited by Harvey; 15-09-2016, 11:51 AM.

Comment

• Another great day at Blyton Park last Sunday 18th September. A few of us camped over the night before and we all had a great time and ate lots of pizza which saved the gas on the camping stove. The car felt fantastic all day and the new map has made a difference and I can feel the extra torque that's now available. As usual I'll let the pictures tell the story.

Comment

• Nice one Harvey

Comment

• Decided to round the year off with another track day and booked Donington Park on 5th Nov along with a couple of friends. Not having touched the car since Blyton I thought I better give it some TLC and spent most evenings this week giving it some.

First job was to drop the engine oil, change the filter and splosh some more liquid gold in as I call it, otherwise known as Millers finest CFS 10w60.

I also fitted a rather ugly blue magnetic sump plug I’ve had sitting on my shelf for months. Got it from a mate for a few quid but I wanted it free due to the horrible colour.

Sexy…not.

Also dropped the gearbox fluid for inspection and all seemed fine with no particles but decided to pop some fresh in anyway. The drained fluid gets darkened by the LSD plates which is perfectly normal.

As I was into changing stuff I was recommended to fit a cool stat and also sourced a lower temp rad fan switch. I sourced both for just shy of £14 delivered via eBay. Quinton Hazell QTH600K/82 thermostat begins opening at 82 degrees C and fully open at 97 Degrees C. The fan switch is a Febi that opens at 95 degrees C and off at 90 degrees C. The OE stat is 92/107 and the fan switch 100/95.

Token engine bay shot with floodlight as it was dark when I finished.

Comment

• Looks to be some interesting stuff booked on track at Donington on the 5th Nov including myself click me. I've got a pit garage booked and it's a Saturday so pop along and say hello.

Comment

• just googled saker GT,

Comment

• Another awesome track day at Donington yesterday but this time on the full GP circuit which I?ve never done before. The weather held, it was cold, we had sunshine and nothing broke what more could I have asked for. I can really feel the new map and extra torque down the straights as the car feels so strong and punchy so it wasn?t just placebo affect at Blyton.

That's it for outings this year with a few changes planned for next year on the handling side. My personal photographer came along as usual and grabbed some lovely snaps, thanks wifey your super duper.

Comment

• it looks well GP circuit is a treat too, although it feels like your are out there ages each lap

Comment

• Grabbed myself a bargain the other day, genuine early Gates timing belt kit for ?25 delivered. These usually go for ?70 and up so I?m pretty chuffed at what I paid. The belts on their own are cheap but it?s the metal tensioner and rollers that are the expensive part. More spares for the next timing belt change in a couple of years.

Comment

• Billy bargain...
                              My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

• Not touched the car since sticking it on the trailer after Donington last year. Even the sticker was still on the screen as I pulled the cover off the car this morning.

Fortunately it?s not rusted away and no mice have made homes.

Visual check of everything before disconnecting the ECU power so I could crank it over on the started to build oil pressure before firing it up. It started on the button with no cough or splutter, not bad for 7 months of no use.

I wasn?t expecting it to idle nicely but it was lovely with no issues. The mapper lowered the idle slightly last September for the new injectors and FPR and it?s not exactly behaved since. I?m going to pop the car back at some point and get it nudged up as it?s not straight forward doing it myself with the Easimap software for the MBE, or should I say I don?t trust myself with it.

Fluid restock a few months ago as Opie had it on offer with fresh Millers CFS 10w60 and Motul RBF660. Both fluids come highly recommended if you plan on track action at any point.

Comment

Working...
                                X