Astra mk3 Arctic 1.6 8v to 3.0 24v build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astra mk3 Arctic 1.6 8v to 3.0 24v build

Thought it was about time I started a build diary on this as I’ve been planning it for the last three years while I’ve been building my GTE. The car in question belongs to my better half Amanda who has owned it for the last 9 years. It’s a 1.6 8v Astra mk3 Arctic, with the Arctic meaning it has aircon as standard. The bodywork needs a little tidy up here and there but it is solid with no rust. It’s got just over 50K on the clock and it’s been dry stored for the last three years. It has always felt under powered so the idea of a 3.0 V6 conversion popped into my head some years ago and now things have started to happen. I have 99% of parts required for the conversion so there is no excuse with only time being my limiting factor.

How the Astra looked back in Feb '08, it's being dry stored so hopefully still looks the same. When the body work gets tidied I have some brand new Irmscher side skirts and Irmscher rear top boot spoiler to go on, thank LMF

I removed the puny lump back in Feb this year but haven't had the time to do anymore with the car since then due to other projects getting in my way.

The donor 3.0 was from a late spec ex-police Omega saloon, I managed to sell the shell less engine on so it cost next to nothing.

A few extras I’ve got for the project include BTB stainless down pipes with 2” primaries leading into 2.5” main system. I'll be getting a local company to make a custom 2.5 " with 200 cell sports cat and twin box system.

F28 mechanical drive with ATB, still waiting to be checked over with my gearbox man. He's only had it 8 months so I better chase him and make sure he's not dead. I also had this blasted as the paint on it looked terrible.

When I pull my finger out my **** and get some time I'll get some more progress pictures up. In the mean time I'll crack on with the GTE engine rebuild and SRi repair/restore.
    Last edited by Harvey; 27-09-2017, 11:09 AM.

Re: Astra mk3 Arctic 1.6 8v to 3.0 24v build

a m8 of mine is wanting his F28 gearbox checking over, any chance of some details on the chap who's looking at your F28?
    the gearbox people i know dont want to touch it up here.

keep up the good work Harv looks like a nice project, i bet your other half will be chuffed when its finished.

Comment

Looking good mate, thats going to be a bit pokey when its done

Comment

There's a place Bazw used for his F28 in Doncaster, might be a bit closer for you, drop him a PM as I don't know what they are called. As your a club member there are some exploded F28 diagrams I placed here so it might be worth taking these when asking about an F28 overhaul. My gearbox man is good but takes forever as he works alone and is always busy.
        Last edited by Harvey; 01-02-2009, 08:21 AM.

Comment

totally forgot about the place in Doncaster, thanks for the link.

Comment

iwant them wheels for my mk3 gsi , that will be a weapon when finished

Comment

I've seen a few sets of Mim Raffions pop up on MIG and other forums so keep your eyes peeled as you might get lucky. I purchased the wheels brand new in '98 from Wheelbase in Oldham and they were on my old mk2 before Amanda swiped them for her mk3.

My old mk2 with the Raffions fitted, I'll never forget you R.I.P.

Last edited by Harvey; 27-09-2017, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by harvey View Post
                I've seen a few sets of Mim Raffions pop up on MIG and other forums so keep your eyes peeled as you might get lucky. I purchased the wheels brand new in '98 form Wheelbase in Oldham and they were on my old mk2 before Amanda swiped them for her mk3.

My old mk2 with the Raffions fitted, I'll never forget you R.I.P.
                will do mate, they look mint on mk2s aswell eh, i loved that mk2 bak in 2001 wen i first came across this car i tried to make my 5 door look like this but failed lol

Comment

the wheels suit the mk2 very well, looking forward to the updates

Comment

Well I think I've just managed to sell the Omega donor shed, less engine, so I need to try and get it out this coming weekend.

Appreciate the comments about my old mk2, it certainly went through a change in the 6 years I owned it.

Comment

Thanks to MPH (Matt) I now have a 20mm front ARB from a late spec GSi. That should help improve the front end a little as the puny 16mm wouldn't of been up to the job.

Comment

Had a few hours on the Omega yesterday and now only have the PAS to drain and disconnect, engine oil to drain and side engine mounts to remove and then it’ll be out. You have to be a contortionist to remove the top gearbox bolts but sheer determination got me there in the end.

Also had a bit of a spending spree as the mk3 I found all the ball joints and wishbone bushes had seen better days so I’ve now got brand new replacements.
                        Last edited by Harvey; 27-09-2017, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Got a VX220 steering wheel about two years ago and it's been sitting in the boot of the Arctic ever since but I needed the other week to steer a car I stripped. As it's still here in the spare room I thought I'd get a pic. Plan is to get it recovered in leather and suede.

Some of the front end rebuild parts I've got to fit.

Old pic of the 3.0 coming out the Omega in March '08 this year, managed it on my own and it wasn't that bad to be honest.

I wonder how many crime scenes this has been too

Loaded and ready to be dropped at the lockup, it's sitting next to the mk3 now waiting to be cleaned and fitted.

Last edited by Harvey; 27-09-2017, 11:18 AM.

Comment

jesus thats a fair lump lol

Comment

Originally posted by harvey View Post
                              Thanks to MPH (Matt) I now have a 20mm front ARB from a late spec GSi. That should help improve the front end a little as the puny 16mm wouldn't of been up to the job.
                              you want the 26mm one off a phase 2

Comment

Working...
                              X