No announcement yet.

Converting F20 to a cable gear change..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting F20 to a cable gear change..

So, Ive never been happy with the gear change on the rallycar. Currently 16v setup but even with new bushes, metal top linkage and other tweaks, Ive just never been happy with it. Thought about converting to an internally mounted 8v linkage and have the parts but need new bulkhead hole and will need to move my plumbed in fire extinguisher too. So, did more research on cable change mechanisms.

The F20 uses the same turret as the F13/F15/F17/F16 and F18 but the majority of the cable change cars use the F23 / F32 or F40 gearboxes. However, the Vectra C 1.8 uses an F17 box (albeit hydraulic clutch) with a 5 speed cable change mechanism. Over the past few weeks, Ive managed to locate the gearstick unit, the cables and brackets and today I picked up the correct F17 box with the cable change turret.

Some photos:

The Vectra C 1.8 gear lever mechanism with cables attached:

The cable change F17 box with cables and bracket fitted.

Linked all together to test it all worked properly on the F17 box.

So, after seeing the bracket and how it fitted on the F17 box I realised that the bolt threads arent part of an F20 casting. However, they are part of an F16 casting - perhaps all my F20 are early and the F16s I have are later models? So I dug out an F16 box to mount it on for testing. I may have to build my F20 cluster into the F16 casing if I go this route.

Removed the "rod" turret from the F16.

Removed the "cable" turret from the F17

View of the turrets side by side. Theres a proper "gate" inside the cable turret to locate the gears better.

Fitteed the cable turret to the F16 box - nice and straightforward and selects all the gears fine like this.

The threaded holes on the F16 box are short but are bigger with an odd thread so had to drill out the 2 holes on the cable bracket.

Found these bolts in the spares box. Im sure theyre off an Astra somewhere but not sure where! Bit of lube (ooo err missus) and cleaning up on the gearbox and they threaded in lovely.

Linkage and turret fitted - the 3rd hole on the bracket is for one of the gearbox > block mounting holes but doesnt quite line up. Not an issue for testing purposes but will need to be modified a little to make it work "live".

Tried everything and whilst 1st - 4th were fine, the cable wasnt quite right going across the gate for reverse and 5th. The cable has a plastic "threaded" bit on the end that clamps on the gear lever end. I shortened this plastic bit, which allowed me to get the correct amount of cable movement and it works really well in testing.

Last final shot of the F16 again

Does anyone know if the F20 casing ever came with the threaded holes forward of the usual turret? My F16 with the holes is part number 90334346 whilst the F20 without holes in the casting (on all 3 casings I have) is 90334347 or 90250773.

To test it properly, I have to rebuild my gearbox into the F16 casing (unless I can find an F20 with those bracket holes) so might have to wait a little while. The cable lengths are maybe 2" too short as well going through the std 16v holes (surprisingly as I thought they would be too long coming from a Vectra!)

Paul..
    My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Re: Converting F20 to a cable gear change..

The 3 bolt holes were for the rear mount on the mk2 cav`s. They don't have the rear box mount like the astra its on the top instead. If you need any bolts the engine mount bolts fit.
    As the f20 was never fitted to the cav they didn't cast the bolt holes into the f20`s at all so rebuilding into the f16 cases is the only option you have.
    Its a pain for us cav owners as we have to do it the other way round!
    Do you think its a worthwile mod as I could do with replacing the usless linkage in my mk3.

Comment

Very good idea indeed, I doff my cap sir!

Swapping the case over is easy anyhow
      Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

Nice work, it does make fitting this nicely flexible to any old MK2! Great report!!

Comment

LOVE parts bin engineering !

Comment

Aha - so that explains the F16 having holes and the F20 not.

Could make a bracket that mounts from 2 of the gearbox > block bolt holes I suppose.

My understanding is that the F16 has a smaller end bearing - is that right?

Is there any differences in the casings / bearings etc between an F18 and an F20? I found this image which shows the correct holes to mount the bracketry on....

Does anyone have an F18 cable clutch casing spare? Can swap it for F20 or F16...

Paul..
            My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

Paul im sure I have a f18 casing that came off a 1.7 Isuzu engine. Will check today after work and let you know. Happy to swop for either casing if your happy to travel over to Hull.

Comment

Checked the f18 I have and mine looks the same as the f20 without the bolt holes.

Comment

Paul, you have an F18 and a spare casing at the back left of your garage unless it's been moved. Has that got the extra mount on that you need? I'll check my early F20 spare box casing for you next time I'm in my man cave.

Comment

I've had all 3 apart and next to each other, all the cluster's are the same. The bearing is the same size, just has less rollers in the f18. The diff and case is the different part between the f16/20, diff and case on f20 has more webs. The f18 case does not have the clutch access hole, would have to check my f18 case to see if it has the mounts on though.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                      Paul, you have an F18 and a spare casing at the back left of your garage unless it's been moved. Has that got the extra mount on that you need? I'll check my early F20 spare box casing for you next time I'm in my man cave.
                      I *think* Marcus had that F18 from me to build up his gearbox - will check!

Paul..

Comment

Like this one yeah?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-09-03-958.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	379.2 KB
ID:	472753

F18 out of a Astra G, has a hydro clutch fitted. But that comes out and a normal fork slots in.

Comment

Quick update...

Fitted the F16 box to the car now with the F17 cable change linkage.

Internal mounting holes in my car have were the same and the cable lengths are around 1/2" - 1" too long but usable.

Only mod we did was to remove the big piece on top of the selector mechnism as it would foul the header tank to radiator pipe when fitted in the car. I think its just a balance shaft anyway?

Paul..

Comment

I can report back that this made a huge difference to the gearchange in the car...

Definately a worthwhile mod for me.

Paul..

Comment

What does it change, does it go lighter, smoother, quicker, feel nicer or just give more options in placement?

Nicely done by the way!

Comment

Working...
                              X