No announcement yet.

GTE Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tried the old fuel pump earlier and by passed the new fuel filter just to try it, still the same fuel starvation at about 3500 rpm under load. Both pumps at 2.2 bar at the rail. Did notice a small fuel leak on the tank, so I will get a new one ordered and at least that will negate the loose particles too.

Comment

I suffered with similar loss of power/stuttering etc at about 4k, turned out to be iffy dis cap.

Comment

This is one amazing looking machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Tashyface View Post
          Tried the old fuel pump earlier and by passed the new fuel filter just to try it, still the same fuel starvation at about 3500 rpm under load. Both pumps at 2.2 bar at the rail. Did notice a small fuel leak on the tank, so I will get a new one ordered and at least that will negate the loose particles too.
          Also a good idea to check the fuel hose from pump to tank as they are prone to perishing, leaking and drawing in air.... i had that problem with one of my gte16v and ordered a new fuel hose from AutoVaux part number GM 90136596 just short of ?40 posted.

Comment

Cheers Terri, tried that part number but it didn’t work.

Comment

Originally posted by Tashyface View Post
              Cheers Terri, tried that part number but it didn’t work.
              They don't always show on the website you have to give them a call and they will check there stock or stockist and get back to you.

Comment

loud fuel pump usually means its struggling to pump, noise usually scales up with the restriction. make sure youve not got any crimped hoses (bends too tight, or clipped too hard that kind of thing)

2.2 BAR is correct, at idle, with the vac feed connected to the regulator. it should spike up to 3 bar as soon as you open the throttle, and it will also scale up with boost too (in equal measure to the boost, so if you have 1 bar boost, it increases fuel pressure by 1 bar)

to be honest the only time i had a "nope, get lost" when accelerating hard with turbo engine was from boost cut, i.e the ECU detecting too much boost and cuts the engine on purpose as a fail safe. does the ECU light come on when it happens ?

Comment

Thanks for the comment guys. Small update, we have by passed the fuel tank using a Geri can and the pumps are now not making the loud noise. We’re thinking because of the small hole in the tank that there could be corrosion inside the tank as it’s not rusty on the outside so maybe corroded inside out and as suggested above particles maybe causing a blockage which is causing the pumps to also be loud and I’m hoping this is causing the fuel starvation. Couldn’t test drive with the Geri can to see if we had the fuel starvation as It was a bit dodgy.

Comment

The new tank arrived a couple of days ago. I’ll get it painted then get it on and see what happens.
                    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

theres usually a breather on the tanks too. early cars its just clipped round the edge of the tank, later cars that pipe runs all the way to the engine bay (recirculation thing)

if the breather gets blocked, as fuel is pumped out a vacuum forms in the tank. extreme cases it can suck the tank in (make it collapse slightly) usually just makes the pump noisy and clips performance

Comment

Noted Darren, thanks. Getting the car on the lift tomorrow. I’m away for a few days, hopefully when I get back the weekend I have some good news.

Comment

image_18748.jpg Tank painted and ready for its new home
                          Last edited by Tashyface; 09-07-2020, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Little update. The tank is now fitted and I’m please to say that we now have no fuel starvation or cut out under load. Seems to run well and picks up nice, no coughs, no splutters. Still running a little fast on tick over. Next step is to get the new rad and intercooler fitted.

Comment

Update, things have started to move along again. Almost stripped, need to order archers, sills and wings. Lots to do.

Comment

I can't upload any photos for some reason!

Comment

Working...
                                X