Timing belt on alternator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Timing belt on alternator?

It's occured to me every time an alternator belt squeals, why aren't these timing/toothed belts on toothed pulleys instead of v-belts so the buggers can't slip?

This months Total Vauxhall has an article on the Carlton Thundersaloon.
    In that article there's an engine shot, showing the alternator driven by a timing style toothed belt.

Thoughts please.........

Re: Timing belt on alternator?

its just a cost thing I think

Comment

yeah cost complexity i imagine. any kind of misalignment and the belt would be off or running up the flanges. V belt is naturally self centring

Comment

Ah, that clears that up then!
        ........another long term, get round to it eventually project then......

Cheers guys

Comment

I'd say there's nothing wrong with running a belt like that on the side, perhaps slightly narrower as the timing belt. It can probably save alternator bearings as I expect it can run lower tension.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinci View Post
            I'd say there's nothing wrong with running a belt like that on the side, perhaps slightly narrower as the timing belt. It can probably save alternator bearings as I expect it can run lower tension.
            What Vinci said. I've got the Burton Performance set-up running on my lotus twin cam in this case it saves on stressing the water pump bearing.

Comment

Originally posted by beegee View Post
              What Vinci said. I've got the Burton Performance set-up running on my lotus twin cam in this case it saves on stressing the water pump bearing.
              Cheers for the info buddy. The Burton stuff looks good, but somewhat pricy, as I'll have to do the pas as well......

Comment

Working...
              X