Shell differences between 16v and base model 1.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shell differences between 16v and base model 1.2

I've got a 16v that needs a lot of repair work to the shell, both rust and crash damage, and I can get my hands on a rust free 1.2.
    What are the differences between these 2 shells? I've done a lot of searching, many things are mentioned but nothing conclusive other than the gear linkage setup.
    Can anyone shed some light on this, and how easy is it to overcome these differences?

Re: Shell differences between 16v and base model 1.2

as hinted, its the transmission tunnel (taller/wider) on 16v, the bulkhead (altered to match the bigger tunnel, plus dipped along the lower bulkhead to accommodate in car gear linkage) exhaust hangers differ. there's also some reinforcement between the A pillar and upper wheel arch on gte models

lots of people have converted 8v vehicles to 16v engine, your only issue is space for the exhaust inside the tunnel as the 16v is bigger bore, plus not designed to avoid the gear linkage. however, if you were re-shelling a 16v to an 8v base model shell you then run into trouble with carpets, sound deadening and centre console plastics not fitting

if the 1.2 is OHV pushrod engine (which i'm, sure it will be) it has engine mount on the front cross member which is unique to this model
    Last edited by DarrenH; 10-10-2013, 06:30 PM.

Comment

You shouldn't have any problems if you get a custom exhaust made I'm running a 3" system which misses the linkage and is a long way from the road.

Comment

Is there an Astra mk2 we are talking about here? I am pretty sure the bodyshells are the same on all of them.. The difference is before or after 1987... The tunnel in front with the bulkhead is different.. Depends if the gearlever is inside or under the car.. 1987 and new'er has the lever inside

Comment

Originally posted by Holms View Post
          Is there an Astra mk2 we are talking about here? I am pretty sure the bodyshells are the same on all of them.. The difference is before or after 1987... The tunnel in front with the bulkhead is different.. Depends if the gearlever is inside or under the car.. 1987 and new'er has the lever inside
          Not in the UK.

We had the older type bodyshell for all models all the way through its life except for the 16v and 1.7D models which had the "newer" type shell with internal gear linkage.

With regards to differences, you can easily run an undercar linkage even with an F20 box, you may need a custom downpipe in the exhaust and you will need to modify the bottom of the front panel as well to fit a 16v radiator or could just run an 8v radiator without mods. Plus the interior stuff around the top of the tunnel but they can be sourced from an 8v model if needed.

Paul..
          My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

yeah!

i remember an old website that claimed this is what made the difference between our GTE 2.0 8valve (124ps) and the european GSI 8valve (130ps). the european version had 16v chassis with 2 inch exhaust, ours had pre 87 shell and 1.75" exhaust.

Comment

Front mid crossmember is different too, 16v joins together 8v doesnt. IIRC, Darren will correct me on this is I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
              X