X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1997 Kadett GL - Southern Brazil

Second try out with Mr. Parkinson.

November 30, 2013.

Santa Cruz do Sul International Track (southern Brazil)

With a new set of Pirelli Phantom 195/50 R15 tires, the grip was much better.

However, we think that the body is rolling too much, rear shocks and coils are not the best choice.

As soon I have some time, will send some pictures.

Cheers!

Fabrício

Comment

So, a report about the preparation and the Track Day that runned in November 30.

New tires (Pirelli Phantom 195/50R15)

New rear axle from 1995 Astra SW GLS (this car is belgian made and was imported by GM Brazil)

Making some space

Kadett coil vs Sonic coil (did not works)

At this time, we choose to use rear coils from 2000 Astra, with a small cutt at the top to fit in the axle.

Rear axle Astra vs Kadett

Setting up the rear axle

Rear axle instalation complete

The standard we are looking for

Actual heigh

With this adjusts we found:

Considerable improvements. Tires kept the car on track, no spinning this TD!

Rear axle from Astra SW seems to be wider than Kadett, I believe 1 or 2 mm maximum.

We are still working at the rear suspension, specially springs and shocks beacause the body is rolling too much when a moose test is performed. I know that DarrenH suggested Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs, but they are too expensive for us to import. In Brazil we pay about 75% plus in taxes, and these taxes are above the product price and shipping also. For this reason, we are trying to find some domestic solution.

Some picts:

AUTOBOT PARKINSON

Some food

On the track

Tires

as new

10 laps

+ 35 laps

Food and supporting personel

The "drivers team"

Onboard Video

Next saturday we have a new TD to participate, so this week we are at work on new options to try for the rear suspension.

Cheers!

Fabrício

Comment

Nice update man, love reading your topic!

Also enjoy seeing the differences in the Chevrolet Kadett, I saw another improvement they made, the rear axle clamps are much much beefier!!

Comment

nice updates!

Comment

woow nice job !

oooh wait drum brake in track day.... u are a crazy hahaha

Comment

Japa,

Actually, we are looking for a rear disk brake set.

And we need also update the information here, since las track day was december 14, 2013.

Regards!
              Fabricio
              Last edited by SilverKadettGL; 29-04-2014, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Well guys, after a while, I'm back on posting

Some datails about last TD in last december 14, 2013

Starting with picts...

Autobot Parkinson

How it is the ground distance by now

On the track

Lunch time, with salad, of course!

Some borrowed slicks

On the track, with a half spin close to the video end

After trial

Front right tire

Front left tire

In general, the third TD with Mr. Parkinson Parkinson:

Velopark track = 49 laps.

Best time / Rafael: 1.17.205 (no slicks)

Pirelli Phantom tires: After 5 laps the grip starts to go out due overheating;

Slicks tires evaluated = car is not ready to them at this point.

Brakes: Right front pad wore 4 times higher than left side = UNBALANCED BRAKES.

Parkynson was conducted to garage for servicing. Syntoms: unbalanced brakes. The way to garage was exciting: Pedro just with handbrake got a police car crossing his way. With two hands on handbake, rear lef side was blocked and the car shifted to left, stopping very close to the police car!
                At the garage, it was checked the front bakes:

Front right was higher wore.

Rear suspension: Improved, but not as the best shape = the body oscillates at high speeds.

Engine: After 7-8 it shows some missfire = check spark plugas and ignition system.

So, how it is from january, 2014

January 27 to 29, Pedro and me were to the Garage Mecânica Fontana (about 350 km far form our city) at the coutry side of southern Brazil.

Suspension is quite low and hard, not so confort to ride at road. I was driving and avoiding big potholes and bumps.

We spoke with Fontana, the mechanic guy, solving some doubts. A shopping list was made to ne next stage, that will be NA, but with the aim of be ready for Turbo in the future.

Pedro tried a Astra SW GLS 2.0 1995 with NA preparation (ethanol fuel, ignition, compression ratio of 14:1) with very good impession. Than when he was passenger in a Astra GLS 2.0 1995 turbo, he was convinced that we need to improve the suspension and probably the brakes to the turbo stage of Mr. Parkinson.

Pictures at the garage:

Therefore, Mr. Parkinson is at Mecânica Fontana with no deadline to be ready. As I get some reports and picts, I will keep up to date.

Cheers!

Fabrício
                Last edited by SilverKadettGL; 30-03-2014, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Nice update Fabrício! Looks like it has quite little roll your Kadett, but I suppose in Brazilian Kadetts the anti roll bar is also 22mm, like our GTE 16V.

Did you have the rear disc brakes on now or is it still with drum brakes?

Comment

Hello Vinci,

I don't remember if I already mentioned, but the anti roll bar in GL and GLS versions is thinner than GSi. In our car, we changed for a 22mm and add the polyurethane bushes.

About the rear brakes, still are on drums. At least, adjusted! LOL

Fabrício
                    Last edited by SilverKadettGL; 28-03-2014, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Updates...

Parkinson's Engine: Phase 1 - NA running on EtOH (ethanol fuel), standard ratio (9.2:1) and capacitive ignition. The choice was to keep the standard ration to avoid cilinder head change, because our choice for Phase 2, it will be (I hope...) turbo with ethanol fuel.

At this time we decided to do this way because we believe (and feel) that Mr. Parkinson's suspension still need improvements. As IDEAL, I have in mind the suggestion of Mr. DarrenH, so Bilstein B8 Sprint (shortened), Font 34-003114 and Rear 24-013932 shocks, and Eibach SPORTLINE springs would be THE CHOICE. The springs we will try to buy here in Brazil, but our MAJOR problem for the Bilstein shocks is the final price (when I find some store that can send to Brazil). Therefore, before to go for the IDEAL, we will do some trials with brazilian parts, at least to have some secure and decent suspension.

The engine improvement made in the Astra at the Turbo Stage (equivalent Kadett engine) that is shown in the pictures, letf no doubts in this poit. Besides the fuel change from gasoline to ethanol, are being installed new gauges, better seat, and fuel intake already appropriate for the Turbo. Actually we are dealing with the shopping list as follows:

- Silicone hoses (to have spark plug wires insulated, it is needed due the capacitive ignition).
                      - 4 fuel injector from Chevrolet Astra (flex - runs from factory in gasoline and ethanol, with any proportion between them)
                      - Pressure regulator (small) for fuel injected engine.
                      - Gauges:
                      - Fuel pressure (0 to 8 bar)
                      - Oil pressure (0 to 8 bar)
                      - Engine cooling fluid temperature (mercury)
                      - Tachometer diameter 5" with shift light

- Fuel pumb with higher pressure than standard
                      - 4 wire NGK lead-gauge

- Minipa ET 1400 multimeter with lightening (Hallmeter equivalent)

- Front seats from brazilian Kadett GSi

At the garage shop Mr. Parkinson had the inside cleared, I have no pictures how it is righ now, as my mechanic friend commented that the average weight reduction it could be about 100 kg.

Cheers!
                      Fabricio
                      Last edited by SilverKadettGL; 01-04-2014, 11:45 PM.

Comment

New front break pads (PowerBrakes Brazil - 285 mm GM kit)

Fabrício

Comment

New spark plug wires, with extra insulation:

BONUS image from a friend's garage shop:

Fabrício

Comment

Test drive of Mr. Parkinson running on ethanol

Fabrício

Comment

You sound like you are enjoying yourselves !!

it runs nice

Comment

Yeah BlackBox, was party time for us.

Cheers,

Fabrício
                                Last edited by SilverKadettGL; 24-04-2014, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X