cheap sports struts from Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wolbart View Post
    Any update? How's the ride quality with bilstein/German springs setup? I'm planning to get bilstein shocks also though can't decide yet on what springs to get.
    The Bilstein dampers have made a massive difference, the car is more responsive now to uneven roads, I think the cheap springs that came with the kit I bought off internet from Germany will have to be changed too. I don't think they are stiff enough as they have bottomed out a few times on the poor roads around my area.
    Cant decide wether to put the original springs back on or buy a good quality set as I like the way the car looks lowered buy 40mm.

Comment

Originally posted by pulsy View Post

The Bilstein dampers have made a massive difference, the car is more responsive now to uneven roads, I think the cheap springs that came with the kit I bought off internet from Germany will have to be changed too. I don't think they are stiff enough as they have bottomed out a few times on the poor roads around my area.
      Cant decide wether to put the original springs back on or buy a good quality set as I like the way the car looks lowered buy 40mm.
      Thanks for the info. I'm now decided to get the bilsteins.

Comment

well if it helps the last thing i did before putting my silver gte on the rotisserie was to put standard springs and new standard dampers back on. i honestly couldnt really tell the difference (a negative impact on handling i mean)

but i do have poly bushes where appropriate (rear beam and rear of front wishbones) new standard everything else, strut brace, quaiffe diff.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
          well if it helps the last thing i did before putting my silver gte on the rotisserie was to put standard springs and new standard dampers back on. i honestly couldnt really tell the difference (a negative impact on handling i mean)

but i do have poly bushes where appropriate (rear beam and rear of front wishbones) new standard everything else, strut brace, quaiffe diff.
          Took the car out for a run twice this week on decent roads and the car is driving ok , just think it takes a while to get used to driving an older car after being used to the smooth ride in a new one.
          As iv'e said I like the look of the car lowered by 40mm so I will keep my eyes open for a quality pair of rear springs to go with the bilsteins as they have made a big improvement to the ride already.
          Cheers,

Comment

Hi I'm completely new to this site and have only just signed up. I've referred to it for advice a few times but have actually signed up purely to find out about suspension.
            I have a H reg 1.8 sxi .I had the setup changed from standard last year as it was worn out and possibly original. Thought it was a good idea to get full polybushes all round and a full suspension springs and dampers .
            As cost was an issue I ended up with the German set as below (to which this post relates) . My car is now very very uncomfortable on anything but a smooth new road.
            It handles better than I thought a MK2 Astra ever could but it has no bloody compromise at all. It literally bounces of the road .
            It does have struts all round but I can't imagine they make it worse.
            I don't know what to do tbh .I love the car and have spent a fair bit on the engine and it runs great but I often think of selling it cos it's too harsh to drive
            Please can someone offer me any advice on what to do .
            I want it to handle very well but not be so rock hard .
            Is it the springs, the dampers or both?
            I've seen old posts related to suspension and noted that eibach and bilstein are a good combo.
            Is this still the case? If so would my springs or dampers depending on which I could keep (if any) be compatible with other makes?
            I did have a 1.4 merit few year ago which annoyingly I sold with a 300? koni setup on and that felt spot on, handled well but was decent on bumps. I ain't seen any comments on koni though, is there a reason for that?

Please help me or someone is gonna get a very good car and I'll probably regret it for the rest of my life, like I do about selling my valver 15 year ago!!!

Cheers Swift

Comment

Originally posted by Swift View Post
              Hi I'm completely new to this site and have only just signed up. I've referred to it for advice a few times but have actually signed up purely to find out about suspension.
              I have a H reg 1.8 sxi .I had the setup changed from standard last year as it was worn out and possibly original. Thought it was a good idea to get full polybushes all round and a full suspension springs and dampers .
              As cost was an issue I ended up with the German set as below (to which this post relates) . My car is now very very uncomfortable on anything but a smooth new road.
              It handles better than I thought a MK2 Astra ever could but it has no bloody compromise at all. It literally bounces of the road .
              It does have struts all round but I can't imagine they make it worse.
              I don't know what to do tbh .I love the car and have spent a fair bit on the engine and it runs great but I often think of selling it cos it's too harsh to drive
              Please can someone offer me any advice on what to do .
              I want it to handle very well but not be so rock hard .
              I've seen old posts related to suspension and noted that eibach and bilstein are a good combo.
              Is this still the case? If so would my springs or dampers depending on which I could keep (if any) be compatible with other makes?
              I did have a 1.4 merit few year ago which annoyingly I sold with a 300? koni setup on and that felt spot on, handled well but was decent on bumps. I ain't seen any comments on koni though, is there a reason for that?

Please help me or someone is gonna get a very good car and I'll probably regret it for the rest of my life, like I do about selling my valver 15 year ago!!!

Cheers Swift
              Hi,
              Putting the Bilstein dampers on has made a massive difference, but with the average road conditions around my area being very poor I have not enjoyed driving the car this summer so I am going back to standard springs, the German dampers were very poor quality so I expect the springs couldn't have been up to much either.

Comment

Cheers Swift
                Its about finding a set that work well together. The Eibach Pro kit works well very with a minimal drop. They are stiffer than standard but well chosen spring rates. The Bilstein B6 matches then well too in terms of damper rates. Not the cheapest option but a fit and forget set.

Paul..
                My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

Thanks for the advice. What's the difference between the b6 and others such as b4 in the bilstein range though?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. What's the difference between the b6 and others such as b4 in the bilstein range though?
                    B4 is essentially a good quality standard OEM damper. Will work well with standard springs (assuming they arent 30 years old) but isnt damped correctly for uprated ones.

B6 is the correct one to use for the uprated performance

B8 is a shorter version of the B6 for people running lower springs ie 50mm drop or whatever.

Paul..
                    My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

Thanks. I'm wondering if I try change the dampers and see what that's like with my German 'no make' springs first and if it's still too hard I'll get some eibachs.

Comment

I've ordered some B4 shockers from Bilstein . Just awaiting on the fronts actually being manufactured!
                        suppose they are uncommon for the specific car.
                        I've gone for B4 rather than 6 as some of the comments suggest that the ride will be a little better and the handling won't be too compromised under normal conditions.
                        I was going to try them first with the German springs but think I'll not bother given pulsys comments.
                        I'm probably going to order the eibach pro kit now. They do state that they're suitable for standard shockers.
                        Has anyone got any thoughts on the combination?

Cheers

Comment

I've ordered some B4 shockers from Bilstein . Just awaiting on the fronts actually being manufactured!
                          suppose they are uncommon for the specific car.
                          I've gone for B4 rather than 6 as some of the comments suggest that the ride will be a little better and the handling won't be too compromised under normal conditions.
                          I was going to try them first with the German springs but think I'll not bother given pulsys comments.
                          I'm probably going to order the eibach pro kit now. They do state that they're suitable for standard shockers.
                          Has anyone got any thoughts on the combination?

Cheers
                          Hi
                          I fitted Bilstein B3 springs to go with the B4 dampers and it has totally transformed the ride of the car, its a pleasure to drive. It may not look as good when it was lowered but its like driving a modern car.
                          I wouldn't recommend the set up I bought from Germany as the dampers were poor quality so the springs are most probably the same, unless your going to use the car for track days I wouldn't bother lowering the car as it spoils the ride

Comment

Hi
                            thanks for the advice mate. I'll have a look for them then. And yeah I know what you mean about the car feeling like a track day setup . I'd rather compromise a bit of handling for comfort.
                            However I guess the full Bilstein setup does handle well though.

Cheers once again

Comment

Working...
                            X