Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working on roll center correction solution

Very cool, loos like a good solution.

I like making stairs, not done any for a good while now though I do miss being a Joiner in some respects, but in many others not at all lol.
    Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

Well, the stairs will be made for us, but there's so much other stuff to do before the whole thing is finished, but luckaly I have a father in law who's a kind of an undertaker...

Yes, I was well chuffed with the form factor and size of that Hyundai wishbone end! I feared it would be faaaar to huge, but it is actually pretty well matching the size of the Astra balljoint plate. Also length wise, and the angle is also spot on, so that's one worry less!! It is nicely beefy though, just as the balljoint. Don't have any worries about the strength, even when extending it. Can't wait to get it all bolted together and have a blast with it! I'm quite sure now this will bring some good improvements to the handling!
      Last edited by Vinci; 18-11-2013, 10:15 PM.

Comment

coming together mate !

not that you need to do it, but it looks like there is a bit of scope for clocking the new balljoint fork on the wishbone, to add some caster ?

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post

not that you need to do it, but it looks like there is a bit of scope for clocking the new balljoint fork on the wishbone, to add some caster ?
          I was thinking the same thing

Comment

Sure there is, but I already located the wishbone 5mm to the front with my project last year, I'm not sure how much further I would like to increase the wheel base? Neither do I wonder how neccessary it is to add more than the 4,7 degree I already have... The thought did cross my mind alright!

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
              not that you need to do it,
              this bit vinci i know you move your turrets back and stuff

Comment

5mm is nothing ?

Comment

Surely its not much, at the time it was only intended to compensate for the dislocation of the wheel hub center due to the 25mm rearwards located turrets... Maybe I can increase the castor further, but it already self centers pretty agressively...

Comment

Very busy with arranging things for the new family member that is coming sooooon, but also done a few small bits like pressing out the old hubs and wheel bearings from the Hyundai knuckles. And had the chance now to compare the GM and Hyundai wheel bearing width and they are exactly identical! Yiee! So no need to bore it out any deeper, only the 1mm larger radius. Also grinded out the caliper brackets a bit to accomodate the 288 discs a little better. And been refurbishing the old calipers I bought, which were crusty rusted. So bad that whole chips of rust came loose when tapping it. Had them in electrolysis overnight twice, which removed 95% of the rust, but the last bits I still needed to brush/wire wheel off, then red scotchbrited. But that last process took me a whole evening just for the caliper brackets, so decided I'm going to sandblast the calipers themselves to remove the last bits of surface rust. I did already spray the brackets silver with VHT caliper paint system (prep,prime,paint,transparent) which does make them look as new. Still need to wait for a week to let it dry completely and then do the prescribed baking process. Glad I have a spare set of rear calipers too. Will do the same with these, then replace the whole brake system top to bottom next year with the cunifer pipes, new 23mm ATE master and new booster.

Also sawed off the steering arms from the knuckles and sanded it down nicely after..

Some images:

Last edited by Vinci; 30-11-2013, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Finally been notified the knuckles are honed for GM bearings! Also got the material for the caliper adapters ready to chop drill hack saw and tap... I know, it's not going fast, but I'm not in a hurry as I said from the start, need this right and think things through very carefully. Also planned a session with the bump steer gauge to see what can be done to better that as well!

Comment

thumbs up here!

Comment

Don't have much of an update, but got some more stuff measured on and off the car and came up with an idea that I still need further testing with. The original construction I came up with becomes a rather long one compromising the use of smaller rims and maybe even ground clearance. Last week I discovered that with the cromo steel bushes that my metal man milled for me there is space in between, allowing for an upside down mounting of the balljoint. I hope this is not an issue with the balljoint design, but it looks much better in terms of how compact the whole construction will turn out. It'll also allow either for smaller rims, or even more roll center correction by the use of even longer bushes and bolts.

At this point the balljoint center versus wheel bearing center is almost 20mm further spaced apart as with the stock bits. Less than I had expected with the huge spacers, but I guess it should already give a well noticeable difference.

I've done a max steering angle measurement on the car too, as the new idea does have limits in terms of this angle as the bushes might hit the control arm end plate. However the allowed max turn angle is way beyond what it is on the stock set up. Or actually, it isn't a stock setup any more, but at least provoding me the turn angle I need it to have.

So the idea is to reverse mount the balljoint, so the plate comes on top, placing the control arms mure upwards angled (this is mostly cosmetic, and allows more ground clearance, but not geometrically different) and compacting the contruction. Here's how that looks:

So, the bearings fit, balljoint fits, all that's left now is:

1 To get the extra set of control arms refurbed and a piece of box section welded to the ends allowing to mount the end plate.
                          2 Removing the knuckles of two of my spare struts and weld some mounting flanges on the bottom of the tubes to mount the new knuckles on to
                          3 Create the caliper adapter plates (already have a slab of 20mm thick 7005 aluminium for that)

And off course I still want to do another test for bump steer, with a proper gauge on and springs removed, and while at it I will mount lowering upper spring cups and longer springs, so I will have more travel to play with and I will get lower poundage springs too.

All in all I want a more active suspension with better traction and more straight line shock absorption and comfort, and less roll, call it a challenge! I like it!
                          Last edited by Vinci; 29-05-2014, 11:25 PM.

Comment

Have you got any further with this?

Comment

Not as much as I had hoped for, lot of things have been going on in my private life in the mean time. Have'nt even had the time to put my LSD F16 under the car...

It is pretty far and I could get it done pretty fast, but I want to measure and test everything before hand, and work it some more in to some software to see how I can minimize bump steer along with it, and what camber I should give it, and track width, ackerman, scrub radius etc. etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X