Working on roll center correction solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Working on roll center correction solution

No, I'm afraid any drilling will only weaken it, I was thinking pressing something in from the top down so it will be locked around the stub by the two bolts holding it. Then a large shim and the balloint on top...

Or this:

From a VW Sharan...

Comment

Also promising:

Comment

I think I may have found THE perfect spindle...May I present? The Hyundai Accent spindle!!!

The great part about it is, the wheel bearing has a 38mm inner diameter already, and same width as a MK2 bearing, so should be straight fit! And these balljoints are quite easy to shim while staying very strong!

Comment

genuine question, if you are gonna go to a new hub wouldn't it just be easier to find one with the correct (cast) dimensions and not have a balljoint extension at all.

Comment

I would sure prefer that, but I doubt they exist, its hard enough finding anything compatible as is...

Comment

For instance this one:

Has longer studs towards the balljoint, but there is very limited info on these, guess these only drive in the US. It's from a Hyundai Elantra.

I will continue searching for any possible better candidates, but so far the Accent sprindle looks very promising still. Only wheel bearing outer diameter is a bit smaller than GM, so may be a little lesser bearing in there with smaller balls, but if that's what it takes, the rest looks really good...

Comment

Okay, I haven't found anything better, and made some rough measurements on the pictures to be able to roughly calculate the stock balljoint distance and the Hyundai knuckle looks really well usable. I will fit the stock balljoints with a large shim that I will give an extension towards the obsolete steering arm, just to add some strength to it. Also already ordered the calipers from the Accords that should fit to these knuckles just the same, and the wishbones also look to have the same balljoint fitment, we'll see, fingers crossed...

Glad it was all not so pricey, so no real harm done there.

Here's the knuckle in question:

So extending is no problem, brakes shouldn't be, hubs should be straight fit as the inner diameter of the Hyundai wheel bearings is identical to the outer diameter of the GM hubs...

Keep you guys posted!

Comment

The general idea:

According to rough measurements it only needs a very small extension to exceed stock MK2 balljoint distance...

Comment

nice how will you add taper socket to end of wishbone ?

Comment

I ordered a set of wishbones so will be cut and paste....

Comment

Here's the Honda wishbones and the Hyundai ones side by side, and I 'wish' they have the same conical angle so they fit, if not the Honda S2000 balljoint may still offer a solution, from what I could tell they have identical hole distance and I do reckon the Honda S2000 pins are compatible with the Honda Civic wishbones.... Fingers crossed!

Honda Civic:

Hyundai Accent:
                        Last edited by Vinci; 31-10-2013, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Found this www.vsusp.com/

Might be handy as it's a online one, not as good as the programs I linked. But you can add in your settings and output a web link for that, I'll dig out mine and add them later on when I have some time. Should do all the bits you need for what your thinking of.
                          Last edited by BenH; 02-11-2013, 02:19 PM.
                          Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

Oh my, that's a nice one Ben!! Dont seem to have an option for metric, but we'll work that one out, further graphic display is really well done on this one!!

Comment

Yeah, under in the Tabs half way down the page, preferences tab, units then change that to metric

Took me a while to find it too lol
                              Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

Ah right! Great!!

Next week the wishbones, brake calipers and knuckles should arrive, can't wait to put the tape measure on them!!

Comment

Working...
                                X