trackcar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trackcar

Hi all,i'm new to the forum but not to vauxhalls.Anyway i have bought back my '84 astra gte to use on the road but its main use is going to be thrashing around castle coombe.So far i have completely stripped the interior apart from the dash and headling,removed some of the wiring and fitted a k&n induction kit!It already has a full stainless stell exhaust and uprated manifold, lowered and 15" tsw alloys.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-06-2006, 11:41 PM.

Re: trackcar

welcome look fwd to bumping into you at coombe some time

Comment

may i suggest your next upgrade be the brakes

Comment

any pics???

Comment

LOL agree totally especially if it's the standard 8V brakes! Don't forget the suspension as well. Avo is good and reasonably priced.

Oh yeah and hi, where are you in Wilts?
          Last edited by richie00boy; 22-05-2006, 12:02 PM.

Comment

mmm...GTE track car

Comment

Yeah brakes are next on my list.Can anybody suggest some and where from for about £150?

I live in melksham,used to be trowbridge!
              i will get some pics up when it stops raining

Comment

Don't even think about anything less than 16V ATE type calipers. Really you want 284mm setup off a Cav/Cally Turbo as it means you can keep same master cylinder for same pedal feel, or fit 288mm setup off Cav/Cally V6. People seem to fit the 288 without changing the m/c but I wouldn't be happy with the standard m/c.

I'm in Warminster.
                Last edited by richie00boy; 22-05-2006, 04:16 PM.

Comment

welcome along mate, too should be up at coombe later in the year with my Mk2 Astra.

Don't even think about anything less than 16V ATE type calipers. Really you want 284mm setup off a Cav/Cally Turbo as it means you can keep same master cylinder for same pedal feel, or fit 288mm setup off Cav/Cally V6. People seem to fit the 288 without changing the m/c but I wouldn't be happy with the standard m/c.
                  ATE type 16v one are deffinatly to small for the astra on any track, especially a fast one like coombe.

The 284mm Cavalier/Cally turbo and V6 one as richie says is a common setup and pretty good.

The 288mm setup is only found on Vectras (not cav/cally) though and thats the one I used to very good effect. The reason I used it is because the piston in the calliper is larger then the 284 setup, and the parts are a fair bit newer than even the youngest 284mm parts.

Ive now gone to the Astra mk4 GSi/Vectra GSi 308 mm setup, thats massive!

Richie - I understand the theory behing not using the 288 steup, and I have to be honest I never noticed any problems with the 288mm brakes and never noticed any difference in pedal feel. Any more modern m/c would be an ABS compatible one and not suited to either an 84 astra (wilsons) and 88 astra (mine) as both dont have it.

which M/C would you use? If I could find a larger one I'd use it with out a secont thought! Pre ABS Carlton/Senator might be compatible, but maybe not larger!
                  Last edited by Brett; 26-05-2006, 12:56 PM.

Comment

16v master cylinder is fine with 288mm discs i have them on my convertible and gte and it aint a problem on either

Comment

308 callipers though? I hadnt really considered it after not having problems with the 288 setup.

Comment

Originally posted by Brett
                        308 callipers though? I hadnt really considered it after not having problems with the 288 setup.

308 mm calipers are 288's with different rear brackets

Comment

is that all? cool so no more additional problems. Cheers for that info rob.

I can confirm that the GTE M/C is up to the 288/308mmmm job then

Comment

Originally posted by Brett
                            is that all? cool so no more additional problems. Cheers for that info rob.

I can confirm that the GTE M/C is up to the 288/308mmmm job then

hey boy you questioning ME

Comment

Originally posted by sbd16v
                              16v master cylinder is fine with 288mm discs i have them on my convertible and gte and it aint a problem on either
                              agree. been running stock 16v calipers on 284mm disks for about 5 years. absolutely fine at combe, mallory, donnington, no fade.

Comment

Working...
                              X