Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astra MK2 - Rallye parts

Hello to everyone,
    long time ago i visited projects, found out parts builded for Rallye chassie. And saved them on my PC because i knew ill need them !
    Im building Astra Mk2 GTE chassie for hill climb, as it was a dream for me, and i was wondering where i can get them ?!
    So some of you might remember any of these pictures and maybe discuss wrther they are made by private person, or a tuner !
    Or if we're lucky enough, maybe the owner of these is somewhere here. Or he is MigWeb member !

Thanks a lot, i apperciate if i can get some help here !!

Re: Astra MK2 - Rallye parts

what a brilliant bit of kit those front wishbones are !!!! would love a set of them as well .. sorry can't give no information about them but a good engineer would be able to replicate them i gess. and would be very interested in some if you do look in to it. could do a group buy. i will have a ask about these as well.

as for the other stuff you should be able to get by looking on ebay mig of on here pop up every so often. putting a wanted thread up this is what i have for my trackcar

but was looking in to getting something along these lines

fronts i have

rears
    Last edited by astrayorkie; 29-05-2012, 02:23 PM.

Comment

@astrayorkie: They look awesome. How much did the coilovers cost mate? And did you test them on track ? Happy ?
      A lot of tuners produce front height adjustable but NOT rear ones! So i find interesting to look at your rear ones custom ?

Comment

Gaz shocks is who you need to speak to, Have a look at my build thread, Harveys and Rally Marshalls off the top of my head for some ideas.

http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/showt...89-gte-rebuild
        Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

they are probably made by someone like pilbeam, boat loads of stuff like this kicking around from the rally boys.

Comment

Originally posted by burns985 View Post
            Hello to everyone,
            long time ago i visited projects, found out parts builded for Rallye chassie. And saved them on my PC because i knew ill need them !
            Im building Astra Mk2 GTE chassie for hill climb, as it was a dream for me, and i was wondering where i can get them ?!
            So some of you might remember any of these pictures and maybe discuss wrther they are made by private person, or a tuner !
            Or if we're lucky enough, maybe the owner of these is somewhere here. Or he is MigWeb member !

Thanks a lot, i apperciate if i can get some help here !!

These are all my parts hand made by myself for my build... here on this forum http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/showt...-GTE-Downunder

Comment

Ant, what inserts did you run in those modified front legs if you don't mind me asking? Bilstein? How do you find them?

I'm thinking of going down the coilover route and I don't rate those Gaz coilovers at all, we dyno'd a set at work that someone bought for their kit car and the performance was terrible, massive cavitation even at slow speeds. Compared to the curve I got from my almost 20 year old Koni's they were laughable. So I think I'll make my own. I'd be interested to know what spring rates you used.

Cheers.

Comment

Kev I run Bilstein inverted shocks on the front and rear shocks I modified as a coil over.

Front Bilstein B36-303 (Holden Commodore Modified)

Rear Bilstein B46-180 (Porsche 911 RR Rally Unmodified)

Kev when I originally bought the rally car in 1995 or so The original car was a Holden Camira which is the Sedan version of the MK2. In it was the Bilsteins and a set of Koni spare front suspension. In 96 doing the State Championships I bent the pin on the top of one front shock and had to send them to be fixed... so the next event I ran the Koni spares and got 2 stages before I blew a one and had to run the rest of the rally the best I could. After the event I tossed both those shocks off the side of the hill my workshop was on and have no problem telling people if you want to go on dirt just get Bilstein. They cost me the championship that season and I finished third lol as you can tell it still pisses me off.

Those fronts have been serviced only 3 times in about 20 years and the rears have never since I have had them and only now have I noticed a little bit of oil weeping. They have seen a lot of rallies... just can't seem to find my logbook but something like 30+ Rally events which I would trebble for the amount of forest driving as I used to drive through the forest almost every day to work around a 15k loop. On top of that probably 20 Khana Cross ... not sure if you have them in the UK but just a heaps bigger MotorKhana or AutoTest but in a paddock like a rally sprint but with witches hats... We don't have the luxury of a old WW2 airfield in every second village

Comment

Thanks Ant,

Bilsteins are brilliant, I've never had a problem with them. I recently replaced all 4 dampers on my golf and I hate lowered cars for everyday use but the golf is a tad soft. So I got in touch with bilstein and I got a set of slightly stiffer dampers and the results were amazing, really happy.

Are your Bilsteins pressurised?

My Koni's were good on the road/track car, but your right I'm not sure that any of my suspension would be strong enough for rally! I was never happy with the spax psx kit I put on it after the rebuild, its on my job list to get them off and sort the handling out. Been a while since I touched the GTE but when I get round to it I'm eventually going to modify the legs and rear axle to make them height adjustable, and service/modify the koni's with the help of the dyno. Those GAZ/LEDA coilovers are really heavy too, so if I can make them relatively light I'll be happy. I need to get my car corner weighed too so I can get a clue about what to do with spring rates. The rear of the car was a problem after I made it lighter, understeer understeer understeer then woahh, snap oversteer. So I'm going to try a few old touring car tricks. First shim in a little positive camber at the rear, run it a lot lower than the front and really stiff. When I service the koni's I'm going to try putting in a stroke limiter so the axle can't droop too far. Effectively making it try to lift the inside wheel under hard cornering. The front is a little more tricky but I'm going to try and move the front wheels forward a bit then use eccentric mounts for a bit of poitive castor and neg camber. I know its going to make the steering heavier but together with the rear changes I think it'll make the car much pointier and way more predictable. I think there's loads of gains to be had with this chassis.

Comment

Yea I am sure they are pressurized.

With all my adjustments to the front and rear pretty much the same as you are thinking except I still have negative camber at the rear after trying it once and not getting round to changing it. To over come the steering I just use the Electric Power Steering from a later Astra... I have been driving it without the pump and the car was almost undriveable first because of the front geometry but secondly the 200+HP trying to rip the steering wheel out of my hands.

I re fitted the steering pump on Wednesday and I drove it to work today and bugger it's quick... I shouldn't be pushing it too hard without re tuning it after the engine build but I did just once from 1st and shit the digi dash said 100 in a very short space.

Comment

honestly i didnt even think the shot of the rear suspension was a mk2 astra! it looks like calibra IRS arms, and ive never seen a cam/spawl operated hand brake ! are they ford calipers ?

Comment

The Astra challenge Bilsteins to fit in a std front strut converted to coilovers are P36-0146 I believe. Used to have them on my old car.

I run different front legs on my current car - inverted ones with the damper the wrong way round and Avo adjustable dampers with 250lb/ 8" springs for tarmac.

On the rear, I run an Eibach Astra GTE/Gsi spring with Avo adjustable dampers. Theyre pretty good and Avo customer service is excellent plus theyre only £65 each.

Paul..
                        Last edited by RallyMarshal; 31-08-2012, 10:19 AM.
                        My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

Originally posted by KEV View Post
                          Thanks Ant,

Bilsteins are brilliant, I've never had a problem with them. I recently replaced all 4 dampers on my golf and I hate lowered cars for everyday use but the golf is a tad soft. So I got in touch with bilstein and I got a set of slightly stiffer dampers and the results were amazing, really happy.

Are your Bilsteins pressurised?

My Koni's were good on the road/track car, but your right I'm not sure that any of my suspension would be strong enough for rally! I was never happy with the spax psx kit I put on it after the rebuild, its on my job list to get them off and sort the handling out. Been a while since I touched the GTE but when I get round to it I'm eventually going to modify the legs and rear axle to make them height adjustable, and service/modify the koni's with the help of the dyno. Those GAZ/LEDA coilovers are really heavy too, so if I can make them relatively light I'll be happy. I need to get my car corner weighed too so I can get a clue about what to do with spring rates. The rear of the car was a problem after I made it lighter, understeer understeer understeer then woahh, snap oversteer. So I'm going to try a few old touring car tricks. First shim in a little positive camber at the rear, run it a lot lower than the front and really stiff. When I service the koni's I'm going to try putting in a stroke limiter so the axle can't droop too far. Effectively making it try to lift the inside wheel under hard cornering. The front is a little more tricky but I'm going to try and move the front wheels forward a bit then use eccentric mounts for a bit of poitive castor and neg camber. I know its going to make the steering heavier but together with the rear changes I think it'll make the car much pointier and way more predictable. I think there's loads of gains to be had with this chassis.
                          I had wondered about getting a stroke limit in the koni's myself, would be very handy then I could do away with my droop stops. So I take it koni yellows can be stripped and revalved ect?
                          Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

[QUOTE]DarrenH

honestly i didnt even think the shot of the rear suspension was a mk2 astra! it looks like calibra IRS arms, and ive never seen a cam/spawl operated hand brake ! are they ford calipers ?

Both my vectra c and astra 4 have these calipers.

Comment

Originally posted by BenH View Post
                              I had wondered about getting a stroke limit in the koni's myself, would be very handy then I could do away with my droop stops. So I take it koni yellows can be stripped and revalved ect?
                              What are you using for a droop strop? I'm asking because I'm going to make an external one first to get the dimensions worked out then i'll put it inside the damper. As far as I can remember the Koni's are rebuildable - if you know how that is, I have a good Koni contact so I can get hold of a seal kit and the service procedure if it still exists, if not I can find some that'll fit and order them from some of our seal suppliers. Damper oil has moved on since these were constructed and there is room for improvement just in replacing that. I'm lucky in that I work for a motorsport team and one of my jobs is damper rebuilds so I have access to tools and machines that make things like this really easy. I'll let you know how I get on and maybe put some pictures up if you want to see whats inside them. I'll dyno the spax and koni back to back and put up the graphs too. Then a dyno of them once they're rebuilt. It won't be done quickly though!! This is a slow time project.

Comment

Working...
                              X