• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Pat
    replied
    Re: Prepareing a mk2 for rally use?

Holy cr*p!

I did not see the date of the original post!

Sorry to bring up stuff from the dead!

Leave a comment:

• Big Pat
    replied

Nothing kills an old car faster than forest rallying!!!

Look into building yourself some type of front crossmember to prevent the chassis rail from moving too much and causing half-shaft failures.

We learned that one the hard way.

That is over and above all that RallyMarshall mentionned.

Have fun!

Leave a comment:

• REMUS
    replied

No i've never done any rallying before, anything else I can do to reinforce the suspension, since the woodpecker rally is 60% forest?

Where can I get rally spec bilsteins, what springs would you recommend?

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Originally posted by REMUS View Post
    Has anyone got any advice, link to a good articles or build threads for preparing a mk2 for amateur rally use, there are two rallys that happen near me that I would like to enter next year (eagle/woodpecker).

It's a three door SXi and 've already got a MSA blue-book on the way
    Have you prepped a car for rallying previously?

As well as a rollcage fitted properly youll need electrical cut-off, properly mounted in-date seats and belts, window film (or perspex) to side and rear windows, handheld and plumbed in extinguishers, sumpguard, tank guard, sealed bulkhead (to stop fluids getting into car).

Id recommend rally spec Bilsteins for the front and rear - if its a forest rally you wont finish the event without breaking road car suspension (uprated or not).

Have a look at my build thread (in my sig)...

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• johnmac
    replied

hi
    i have a set of yellow front inserts,yellow rear billies and 16valve front brakes with cop pads £150 plus post
    cheers
    john

Leave a comment:

• redtop raiders
    replied

minimum 6 point roll cage, bolt in one easier and quicker to do than weld in, can be bought from safety devices, omp, or various others, try demon tweeks or even ebay, most bits can be found on ebay.
    seat and harness must be in date within 5 years so better to buy them new ( demon tweeks )
    under side of car must be skidded with plating to cover fuel tank, internal fire extinguisher also plumbed in one, good suspension is a must for good handling.
    the blue book will tell you the minimum requirements, but the extras you can sort yourself, likes a good diff and gearbox.

best of luck with the build

Leave a comment:

• REMUS
    started a topic Prepareing a mk2 for rally use?

Prepareing a mk2 for rally use?

Has anyone got any advice, link to a good articles or build threads for preparing a mk2 for amateur rally use, there are two rallys that happen near me that I would like to enter next year (eagle/woodpecker).

It's a three door SXi and 've already got a MSA blue-book on the way
    Last edited by REMUS; 14-12-2009, 01:45 PM.
Working...
X