Simple engine mods...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Simple engine mods...

5.7.6 This says IF the fuel injection is retained blah blah blah. Inlet manifolds are also free. I would go with carbs and ignition management a la DTA or similar.You should get very close to what is possible with throttle bodies.

Comment

I agree - carbs could be an improvement. That's what the engine I had built for pre-93 was supposed to be running on, and also what the Nova's 1600 is on, and that wasn't too slow in a straight line. Drinks fuel, and isn't too handy low down the range (partly the 'box needs swapping to something more suitable I wasn't out of 4th along top straight at Brands, and nudging 115 before braking for Paddock) , but cam isn't very harsh and it was holding it's own with the CRX's, so I'm not too unhappy.

Or you could try the NSCC airbox I've got - basically BTCC super-prod before it was called that. No idea if it had much effect, but it'd be nice to know. A couple of people have wanted to buy it, but I've no idea what to ask for it.

Comment

As far as out and out power is concerned, carbs and throttle bodies are very close. The TB's gain by being able to optimise them across the entire rev range - in other words they make for a more driveable car. In rallying/trackracing/trackdays you tend to be in the upper end of the rev range all the time, and if you concentrate the tuning of the carbs to this range you might not be dead on for tootling along in traffic but then life's a compromise anyway. We had an XE on carbs before the QED engine and it was great. Ran a bit rich low down but then again, we don't do much rallying below 3000rpm!

Comment

Aye, I really need to get them set up properly on the Nova, but as it probably won't be out for a while it's not high on my list of priorities.

Last I looked (although this was a couple of years ago) carbs were getting more expensive, as Weber were out of business. This might be wrong info, though. I have an inlet manifold for XE around somewhere, as well as a brand new set of green injectors.

Tom - WD has come out, old suspension came off, and found that tin-worm has had a nibble. It's nothing major, but couple that with enlarging the turret holes to fit eccentric top mounts and it's not something I have time to sort, so I think I'll have to pull my Cadwell entry.

Comment

Originally posted by kickastra View Post
            As far as out and out power is concerned, carbs and throttle bodies are very close.
            i dissagree. on a like for like engine youd expect 10-15bhp MORE from the throttle body setup and be infiniately more driveable. i'd argue that a 45mm throttle body has significantly more flow area than the equievelant sized carb barrel with 36/38mm venturi fitted.

i would only consider carbs where cost or entry regs were the limiting factors.

for the original question, first thing would definately be an exhaust manifold upgrade. the cylinder head will flow up to 220bhp in factory trim. standard head and cams are capable of flowing 200bhp worth of air. standard lifters will tollerate up to 8000 rpm. the standard bottom end will safely rotate quick enough to process 200bhp worth of air (with rod bolt upgrade) all assuming well built zero mileage engine (not one lifted out a 150k cav gsi)

thats not to say none of it is worth upgrading, it all accumulative, but as a base package its easy to see the smart money is on drastic induction upgrades for the biggest significant increase in performance, in one glot.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
              i dissagree. on a like for like engine youd expect 10-15bhp MORE from the throttle body setup and be infiniately more driveable. i'd argue that a 45mm throttle body has significantly more flow area than the equievelant sized carb barrel with 36/38mm venturi fitted.

i would only consider carbs where cost or entry regs were the limiting factors.

for the original question, first thing would definately be an exhaust manifold upgrade. the cylinder head will flow up to 220bhp in factory trim. standard head and cams are capable of flowing 200bhp worth of air. standard lifters will tollerate up to 8000 rpm. the standard bottom end will safely rotate quick enough to process 200bhp worth of air (with rod bolt upgrade) all assuming well built zero mileage engine (not one lifted out a 150k cav gsi)

thats not to say none of it is worth upgrading, it all accumulative, but as a base package its easy to see the smart money is on drastic induction upgrades for the biggest significant increase in performance, in one glot.
              Agreed.45mm throttle body would flow more air than 36mm choke, but on a like for like basis, ultimate power would be very similar. Having driven on carbs and then on throttle bodies the driveability of properly mapped TB's is fantastic. Still, on a bang-for-buck basis a pair of sidedrafts is still good value for money.

Comment

My bro uses a red top in his outlaw hotrod, standard crank,steel rods, arps,accrilite pistons, standard head no porting at all(in the rules) only machining done on head was on cam train( so the cams could rotate)pair of very lairy camshafts (catcams) solid lifters,standard valves,pair of dcoe weber 45's and running on mbe management. 224.9 bhp at the flywheel 190lbs torque.A very powerfull engine for the mods,Wish he'd give it to me to slot in my gte!

Comment

Hello!

Is this good option?

Putting Weber 40 DCOE onto a 2.0 (XE) engine. It will gain more power than stock XE intake? Is it better than stock? Apart from the webbers, the engine is totally standard.
                  Any advise will be greatfully.

edited:

its not a good option.

Comment

Working...
                  X