What C20XE Engine Upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What C20XE Engine Upgrade?

I now have my XE and for the moment I will run it relativley standard in the race car... I see they are ment to be 150Hp at the flywheel standard is this correct?

If I run the standard SFI throttle body and extractors with fully tuneable LINK ECU what could/should I change to get as much as I can?

- Lighten Flywheel

- Adjustable Cam Wheels (would I gain anything with standard cams)

- Bigger injectors? (I think I read the standard injectors are good for 200Hp)

- Bigger Throttle Body from another Vauxhall or machined out?

So I already have the ECU, fuel pump and adjustable fuel regulator running my 8v. Any idea what sort of HP I would expect from the XE?

Re: What C20XE Engine Upgrade?

carbs will be good for around the 200bhp mark throttle bodies for more

Comment

sbd used to sell a kit called group N 175.

basically it was a fully mapable 3D ecu (MBE) adapter to plug that into a standard loom, digital throttle position sensor (replaces stock switch) replacement idle control valve (modified so its manually adjustable)

the mbe uses throttle angle and engine revs to calculate engine load. so the kit does away with the airflow meter completely

with an efficient aftermarket exhaust manifold and exhaust system, fully rolling road mapped they claimed 175bhp from this setup.

everything else standard.

Comment

I think verniers and machined throttle body would be the only things to make any difference if at all. The lightened flywheel might help if you changing engine speed a lot and/or want to rev higher. The injectors would be pointless unless you are running them out of duty, highly unlikely with everything else basically standard.

Comment

Ok good news easy to get HP with standard donk. Yeah was thinking throttle bodies but they are expensive.

I saw these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=002

Has anyone done this before? would be cheap as you can get motor bike TB's for really cheap. and he has just used the manifold and cut the rest off by the looks.

Comment

check this out
            Keep upto date with owners diaries, got a project on the go? Then post here.

engine is a standard xe with a 2 1/4 " exhaust iirc running yamaha R1 5jj carbs and carb setup for a spark and with these on his old engine was rolling roaded at around the 190bhp mark

Comment

Originally posted by spuds_own View Post
              check this out
              Keep upto date with owners diaries, got a project on the go? Then post here.

engine is a standard xe with a 2 1/4 " exhaust iirc running yamaha R1 5jj carbs and carb setup for a spark and with these on his old engine was rolling roaded at around the 190bhp mark
              Wow simple and impressive... yeah motor bike TB's seen to be the way to go... I'd prefer still to run injectors rather than carb's.

Hmmm my brother races motor bikes and used to be a bike machanic (cabnet maker now)... I'll be picking his brains over xmas for sure.

Comment

38's are a bit on the small side. tapered jenvey bodies for the XE are 42mm at the small end. paralells youd be aiming at a 45 all the way through.

i was running just over 200bhp through the standard head and cams, repeatable and proven. the stock XE internals will spin fast enough to make 200bhp too. upgraded rod bolts would be a minimum, but still not required at those power levels.

for large noticeable increases in power and torque, its all about the induction system, exhaust manifold and exhaust system on the XE

Comment

Originally posted by ant View Post
                  Ok good news easy to get HP with standard donk. Yeah was thinking throttle bodies but they are expensive.

I saw these on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA:IT&ih=002

Has anyone done this before? would be cheap as you can get motor bike TB's for really cheap. and he has just used the manifold and cut the rest off by the looks.
                  i have this megasquirt set but without manifold / hoses / linkage for future installation

Comment

Did a little looking about at different setups and prices... It would be good to just buy SDB off the shelf and bolt it on... but it is expensive.

So I have taken all onboard and decided to get SUZUKI GSXR1300 HAYABUSA T/B's which are 46mm

http://www.power2n.com/profile_hayabusa.php

And with a little inspiration from here http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_projects/itb/ and here http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265503 I think I will have a go at it.

I got my Hyabusa T/B's from the US delivered for less than $200 (so about 90pounds).

With my LINK ecu I can run 2 injectors per cylinder... this I dont understand I'm trying to remember what my tuner told me... so something like we would most likly run the 4 standard C20XE injectors in there normal position and run the Hyabusa injectors in theres.

I will try to document the T/B build anyway... if it works it will be a cheaper setup.
                    Last edited by ant; 09-01-2008, 02:17 AM.

Comment

The extra set of injectors won't help much, even if the engine is making silly power.

I watched SBD rolling road a Duratec, and play around with 8 injectors - they made 5bhp more tops over the 4 injectors.

The 'bike injectors should flow enough (and have a decent enough impudence, though I have no idea what that means) for the engine as long as it isn't too highly-tuned. I did a bit (lot) of investigation of bike bodies a couple of years ago, when I had a set of GSXR500 bodies to fit to an 8v - the engine expired a couple of days after I got the manifold fabricated and was ready to fit, and never got fixed, unfortunately, so the project didn't get seen through.

Comment

Originally posted by teej View Post
                        The extra set of injectors won't help much, even if the engine is making silly power.

I watched SBD rolling road a Duratec, and play around with 8 injectors - they made 5bhp more tops over the 4 injectors.

The 'bike injectors should flow enough (and have a decent enough impudence, though I have no idea what that means) for the engine as long as it isn't too highly-tuned. I did a bit (lot) of investigation of bike bodies a couple of years ago, when I had a set of GSXR500 bodies to fit to an 8v - the engine expired a couple of days after I got the manifold fabricated and was ready to fit, and never got fixed, unfortunately, so the project didn't get seen through.
                        My idea was to have the extra injectors to compensate for the standard injectors having a limit at around 200Hp. The hyabusa injectors I would get with the TB's are for a 1300cc engine so I wouldn't expect them to perform as well as the standard XE injectors.

I will just build the setup with the oringinal XE injectors in the standard position and cut the manifor just past them and weld on short pipes to match up with the TB's... on the TB's I will leave the Hyabusa injectors as they are for now and if theay are never used I can make blanking plates to block up the injector holes.

I wouldn't have gone down this parth with smaller TB's as I have read in heaps of forums the normal 38 - 40ish TB's work but are to small for 2.0 litre engine. Given that what I have read SDB recomend 45mm so these being 46mm I figure this is worth a try.

Comment

I think the gsxr500 ones I had were 42mm, which we figured was about right (though this was for an 8v - 175bhp on standard injection)

I see your point on the extra injectors - sorry, had missed it before (that it wasn't just for extra power at top end). However, don't forget that although the Hayabusa is "only" 1300cc, it revs much higher than the 2000cc; we figured the gain in capacity allied to the loss of revs kind of cancelled each other out.

If you want good injectors then I will have a set of unused bosch greens up for sale in the next few days - bought for my ITBs for the race engine, but guy buying the kit off me didn't want them. However I don't think you'd need them or the standard injectors - the 'busa set should be fine on their own. Of course this is based on what I can remember of our theory from 30 months ago!

Comment

Originally posted by teej View Post
                            If you want good injectors then I will have a set of unused bosch greens up for sale in the next few days - bought for my ITBs for the race engine, but guy buying the kit off me didn't want them. However I don't think you'd need them or the standard injectors - the 'busa set should be fine on their own. Of course this is based on what I can remember of our theory from 30 months ago!
                            Thanks but my money is getting low and I have still got to get a few parts for the motor. Like cam belt, conrod blots(might as well upgrade them now) and 82deg C thermostate plus make the TB's manifold and get it tuned.

Comment

Who and where would I get Competition Conrod Bolts for my C20XE motor?

Comment

Working...
                              X