Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 astramax diesel gearbox?

Hi,

I have a long term Astramax project that I kind of dip in and out of as and when I find the next piece of it to continue fixing it up.

It's a non turbo diesel.

My latest question is about gearboxes.

I had a catastrophic failure at around 100k miles, the clutch was worn out so we changed it but as we pulled out the main shaft to drop the clipped pressure plate and friction plate out of the little hatch the bearings around the shaft tinkled into the bottom of the box and the shaft would not go back in.

I sent the box off to be reconditioned but did not get the same box back.

After that the van felt very slow to accelerate but had a mad top speed once you wound it up.

We think we had a petrol car gearbox back from the rebuilders.

I'm quite keen to try and find the right box to put back in.

Does anyone have any tips or part numbers to Id what I have and what I'm looking for please.

All the best,
    Paul

paulmanta it would have been an F13 originally, the F number is cast into the top of the gearbox in quite large typeset, its in a nook just below where the selector shaft exits the top of the gearbox

it will have been a wide ratio gearbox, that's normal, however the commercials had a unique 4.1 final drive, the "usual" wide ratio F13 had a 3.94, i bet thats what has happened.

it would certainly make a noticable difference to acceleration, however i have a 1.7 diesel estate (same engine as you) with the 3.94 version and i find it ok. theres a code number stamped here and the last digits will be W394 if my hunch is correct

Click image for larger version

Name:	gearbox.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	526468
    Last edited by DarrenH; 26-01-2021, 10:56 PM.

Comment

I had a look at the bit you pictured, this is what I found under the oil!

A046 33 W394

Not found the "F" number yet but its on a ramp with a car under it so I will try to do that once I can get it down on the floor again.

Thanks for the help so far!

Comment

Hi,

Would the stamped number end in "W410" if it was correct or just "W41"

I have a mate in the Netherlands who is prepared to look for one, he is usually extremely good at finding rare stuff.

Comment

W418 from memory. if you had the box reconditioned on exchange, then surely you have claim with them as it wasnt like for like ?

Comment

I would, but the box failed around 100k miles, it's done another 60k after the swap and we last used the van in 2008.

Im trying to get it back on the road and this one of many things I'm sorting out!

I have been successful in finding most parts to get it done thanks to help from friends and info from here.

Comment

Working...
            X