Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easytrans
    replied
    Maybe you could source a slightly thicker "O"ring, some garages have kits that will make them up from a straight rubber length and super-glue the ends together (this is old school and how we (I) used to make them in the 70's )

Or you could try a double wrap of PTFE plumbers tape below the O-ring ... As in slip the O-ring off from the grove, wrap a thin strip of PTFE tape and replace the O-ring on top still dropping into the grove. You may then need a lubricant to help it back into the head and be careful to ensure there is not a sharp edge to damage the o-ring as it slides in. And on that point be sure there is no crud on the surface where the o-ring sits in the head "it only takes a grain of crud or a deep scratch"

Laurie

Leave a comment:

• kubi
    replied
    Hi guys, many thanks for replies, it sure leaks through the o ring through the place where dizzy is mounted to the cylinder head..... I applied sealant and it got a little better but not much... I have noticed the old o ring had a sealant on it right away rather than on the surface where the dizzy goes to the cylinder head. I however believe I used much more than 22Nm as I kept tightening it couple of times trying to stop the leak... I will probably try to take it apart once more and use little more sealant and use some 20-22Nm... I have a torque wrench so should be no problem...

Leave a comment:

• Harvey
    replied
    The tiny o-ring Darren is referring to is #5 here. You might also want to look into replacing #4 o-ring as well as I believe you have already replaced #6.

I've had a look through the C20XE torque settings I pulled from TIS and can't see anything specifically listed for the dizzy. However I did pickup on the following so I'd suggest you use this as a general guide as the two main dizzy to head bolts are M8.
    M8 - 20 to 22Nm

Leave a comment:

• DarrenH
    replied
    is it leaking between where the distributor joins to the cylinder head, or leaking out of the distributor itself ?

p.s did you replace the O ring on the pin that inserts into the middle of the camshaft

Leave a comment:

• easytrans
    replied
    Having also looked for a torque setting for you I very much don't think there is one if there was it would have probably been in this document.

http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Info_sheets/T...20XE%2016V.pdf

But I'm sure someone will have some ideas.

Laurie.

Leave a comment:

• easytrans
    replied
    Hi, sorry I have no idea at this moment how tight it should be (but so many people over tighten bolts without thinking the impact) you could try making a thick paper gasket also to see if that helped take up any distortion in the surface?

However, are you sure that there is not a high back pressure forcing the O-ring to pass the oil? I assume you have confirmed that all engine breather airways are good and functioning correctly?

P.S. The car looks great.

Laurie.

Leave a comment:

• kubi
    started a topic C20XE distributor torque spec

C20XE distributor torque spec

Hi folks, greetings from lovely Czech Rep. I am still struggling a little with my C20XE distributor leaking a tiny bit of oil... I replaced the o ring, still leaked, then applied some RTV, leaks still. Not much but it does and it is dripping on my newly restored block/gearbox which is not acceptable (took a lot to clean it you know )...

I believe I might have "overtightened" it.... anyone knows the exact Nm torque spec? I went through different DIY books for Kadetts/Astras but no luck....

and just for fun, to make your Monday nicer, here is that jewel of mine
Working...
X