Poxy Pierburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poxy Pierburg

Hi folks, I've not long got hold of a 1987 1.3 Astra Merit estate. It's a bit shonky looking but essentially sound. I like the car but am being plagued by the poxy Pierburg carb. Erratic idling, cutting out, I'm sure you've all heard it before. Is getting a weber carb my only option. The car isn't worth much in the pound coin scheme of things and spending over 300 quid on a carb is somewhat scary. Are there any other realistic and more budget appropriate options available to me and my little Astra? Thanks. Ken

Certain that someone here found a rebuild kit recently. The carb itself is simple to work on. Likely the cold weather doing no favour at the moment.

Check that all of the jet/brass fittings in the carb are clear and that the cam is on the right setting relative to the biometric spring and also that the hoses are all air leak free.

Comment

Originally posted by purplebargeken View Post
      Hi folks, I've not long got hold of a 1987 1.3 Astra Merit estate. It's a bit shonky looking but essentially sound. I like the car but am being plagued by the poxy Pierburg carb. Erratic idling, cutting out, I'm sure you've all heard it before. Is getting a weber carb my only option. The car isn't worth much in the pound coin scheme of things and spending over 300 quid on a carb is somewhat scary. Are there any other realistic and more budget appropriate options available to me and my little Astra? Thanks. Ken
      - theres 3 or 4 vacuum passages the run inside the carb, that can get gunked up with carbon/tar
      - the rubber on throttle pump diaphragm can tear
      - the gauze filter in the fuel-in pipe can clog up
      - the idle/secondary/main jets can clog
      - the float valve can stick

majority of running problems on these carbs is usually almost always down to the automatic choke tho, id check that first.

if its not the choke, check those 5 things.
      service kits on ebay for about ?25

Comment

Working...
      X