Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lightweight flywheels.......opinions please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightweight flywheels.......opinions please.

GTE 16v, C20LET and F28.

My clutch is occasionally slipping, so I bought a new clutch kit from Vauxhalls (pressure plate, friction plate and release bearing) for the princely sum of £150 trade club. I'm running standard boost etc, with exhaust, fmic, etc, so around 220 bhp.
    I may need a new flywheel as it may be worn, although I won't know until the box is off.
    I've been thinking about a Courtney lightweight flywheel (cheaper on eBay, but the Courtney one has the ring gear integrated, so less faffing).

Whose running one, and what are the pros and cons?
    The car really is a toy, so super practicality isn't a massive issue.

Thanks everyone.

had one on my f28 and let gte

was defo a worth while mod

Comment

Cheers for the reply!
      what made it a good mod?

I assume that a lightweight POT flywheel is comparable to a standard FLAT flywheel?
      ​I'm guessing that the heavy pot flywheel was introduced on the LET/F28 to counter the mechanical load and deceleration imposed by the 4WD system?
      If I'm talking rubbish please correct me!

Comment

you are right, the lightened pot ends up similar weight to a flat flywheel. assuming its a one piece steel one, they tend to take most of the "rim" of the pot away appart from standoffs for the clutch cover (like a big castle nut)

the pot flywheel was part of the LN "low noise" package along with re-profiled cam belt and sprockets, plastic cam belt idlers, heavier crank, extra webbing on the outside of the block.

Comment

I have the Courtenay flywheel on mine, been on probably 10 years or so so I can only vaguely remember how it was before! Pick up is improved and it feels more willing to accelerate. Running a F20 with mine, deceleration when lifting off the accelerator is more noticeable.
          I wouldn't say that it would affect using the car every day, I have been using mine daily and you soon adjust to it. I don't find a massive difference driving it after driving another car.

Comment

Thanks chaps, you've just convinced me!

I may give Courtneys a call and find out about fitting.
            Novatech are round the corner from me, but didn't sound too keen.
            Regals wanted an arm and both legs (over a grand to supply and fit a standard clutch!).

I only trust known pros with my baby.

Comment

TTVracing one on the rallycar but that is a flat flywheel not a POT type.

Paul..
              My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

Working...
              X