Astra gte 16v power steering to manual steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astra gte 16v power steering to manual steering

Hi guys hows everyone im changing my power steering rack to manual rack iv got part number dsr509 steering rank and was wondaring 2 things number 1 is is the mounting bush closest to the pinion the same as on the saginaw power steering rack and number 2 is on the end furthest away from the pinion of the manual rack theres a mounting bush witch also acts as a cover for the end of the rack as its open i really need this bush does anyone know where i can get this as i need one asap cheers guys thanks

You want item 41 ...

but I can't seem to locate any in the UK with a google search ... Maybe you can try a wider search ?

Laurie.

Comment

Cheers mate yes thats the one do you know also if the mounting bush closest to the pinion is the same as the power rack also where do you reckon i could get number 41 cheers

Comment

yep the bush at the pinion end are the same for all racks (no.40)

the other end, passenger side, we would need a picture of your rack as there are two types of bush (no.41) two types of rack, and saginaw/zf version of both types of rack !

one type of bush the inside diameter is very small like inch and a half, and the other type of bush the inside diameter is bigger like 3 inches, the U shaped bracket on the bulkhead are the same though its just the ID of the bush

you can get poly versions of no.41, sometimes actual vauxhall listing, but also via the saab route.

Comment

Hey darren i have got the bigger hole in the bush a saginaw rack got bush from the only non power steering mk3 astra in my
          mates scrap yard but it seems weak but it was the only one there also can you try find me a link please or something cheers

Comment

90157181 is the part,

apparently VCP have one 01562 731442

Comment

Cheers darren i stil cant find one though vcp has not got 1 looks like im stuck whit no steering now

Comment

thats a pain, they have a pdf on their website which says "stock not yet listed on our website" and the bush is in there :/

as you say the dome thing is just a dust cover, can you get a normal bush and just make something to cover the end ?

dont forget also that the passenger side bush only keeps the end of the rack level, the rack can slide through it side to side quite easily. its only the drivers side bush that takes all the steering force, stops the rack moving laterally, side to side.

i'm not sure what you meant by the mk3 one was "weak" but even in as new condition the passenger side bush does not clamp the rack solid.
                Last edited by DarrenH; 03-11-2015, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Hey darren i ment the mk3 1 just seems abit perished also never gues what i removed the rack yesterday (monday) to find my rack mounting on the bulkhead had rotted and broke the bottom part with the thread has just ripped of and left a gapping hole but its booked in my mates bodyshop for thursday to get the bulkhead strenghtend and the rack mounting fixed and reinforced was pretty gutted but that was the plean to have that done while inlets and rack was out also i removed the pump and allpipe work too ready for the manual rack

Comment

ouch, but yeah thats pretty inevitable fail point

Comment

Yep now my welder guy thinks he might not b able to get it in 2moz witch means if he cant im screwed as got plans for the weekend depressing times also mounted manual rack today so i can get a tow to him then got to take it back out for the welding then fit it again to get towed home what a hassle al because i got let down with a A frame

Comment

Also the rubber round the pinion that seals the hole in the bulkhead is different on the manual rack to the power rack im thinking of using some rubber mastic to help glue the rubber to the bulkhead do u think that will work?

Comment

Also i emailed vcp yesterday asked them for that part number they messaged back saying we cant get or dont stock that part they pretty usless i think

Comment

Rack mounts sorted bulkhead strenghnd now steering feels so much better with the manual rack

Comment

Working...
                            X