No announcement yet.

Converting F20 to a cable gear change..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Converting F20 to a cable gear change..

Compared to the rod 16v type linkage, its much more precise with very little play in the gearstick.

It feels a lot nicer in use and I suspect its slightly quicker (than a non-quickshift).

Paul..
    My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

Hi RallyMarshal, sorry to hijack your thread but thought this might help others on here convert their F20 gearbox to cable change using the F20 casing.
      I've made a bracket up to hold the cable stabiliser onto the casing, like you have already pointed out, the F20 doesn't have the threaded lugs you have on the F16/F17. So just another suggestion of how to do this.

Comment

Very tidy solution with the metal bracket.
        My GTE diary and the mk3 Arctic 3.0 V6 diary.

Comment

Nice job there Novasportowner :-)

Paul..
          My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

Here's the stabiliser fitted. I TIG welded 2 nuts and 2 threads behind the bracket to make it easier to fit/remove.

Comment

I need this conversation kit anyone have them ??

Comment

What parts do you need? There isnt an off-the-shelf conversion kit as such but Im happy to help you get things made up

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by RallyMarshal View Post
                  What parts do you need? There isnt an off-the-shelf conversion kit as such but Im happy to help you get things made up

Paul..

Hi Paul,

Im new to this site after carrying out a google search on cable shift set ups for f20. I've currently got the selector housing for the gearbox and will be making a bracket for the f20 box.

What do i need in respect of gear linkage cables or any other parts to make this as simple as possible. I've been meaning to do this mod for a while, but during testing a brands hatch on Monday my rod type linkage has broken and I'm two weeks away from racing. I have a c20xe in a corsa b....not an astra i know :/

Any help appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by jameskb1 View Post

Hi Paul,

Im new to this site after carrying out a google search on cable shift set ups for f20. I've currently got the selector housing for the gearbox and will be making a bracket for the f20 box.

What do i need in respect of gear linkage cables or any other parts to make this as simple as possible. I've been meaning to do this mod for a while, but during testing a brands hatch on Monday my rod type linkage has broken and I'm two weeks away from racing. I have a c20xe in a corsa b....not an astra i know :/

Any help appreciated!
                    The issue you will have if racing or rallying is that the standard cables arent strong enough so will pop off the ends on the gearbox turret or will bend / break..

Im using an M20/M32 6 speed gearstick unit in the car (as its shorter and therefore less throw) on a modified bracket to raise it and give cable end location points

then Im using custom bowden cables with 6mm (I think) threaded male ends with rosejoints to join on both the gearbox end and the gear stick end

I thought I had more photos but cant find them now..

Paul..

Comment

Originally posted by RallyMarshal View Post

The issue you will have if racing or rallying is that the standard cables arent strong enough so will pop off the ends on the gearbox turret or will bend / break..

Im using an M20/M32 6 speed gearstick unit in the car (as its shorter and therefore less throw) on a modified bracket to raise it and give cable end location points

then Im using custom bowden cables with 6mm (I think) threaded male ends with rosejoints to join on both the gearbox end and the gear stick end

I thought I had more photos but cant find them now..

Paul..

Awesome thanks Paul, have your a link by any chance to the cables? I?m guessing they are shorter than the standard cables?

Comment

I used a company called cable-tec thats local to me

I gave them the outer lengths for my application and the movement length of each inner cable and what type of ends I wanted and they made them up for me.

http://www.cable-tec.co.uk/

However there will likely be someone local to you who can do them

Paul..

Comment

Have a search on Google for 'control cables' and you'll find a local supplier who can assist.
                          My GTE diary and the mk3 Arctic 3.0 V6 diary.

Comment

Working...
                          X