• GTEBaby
    replied
    Re: useless mk2 astra and engine trivia thread

Same i got given the red1 too

Leave a comment:

• Astra Dan
    replied

When the engine is overheating and the gauge is in the red and the box around the icon is flashing, if it's at night with the lights on, the dash automatically switches itself to full brightness!

Leave a comment:

• Davey J
    replied

Gary yours is the only 20XEJ lump I have seen with a 1987 GM head on it. Proper red herring that one. GM heads are more likely to go but if it hasn't gone it probably won't and if it does it is a cheap fix................fear not.

Leave a comment:

• dancedj
    replied

Not really useless trivia but perhaps helpful - Champion Inner wheel logos Part no 90374337 were pushed on to silver new logo Vxl no 90425840 so the original black ones are not available unless used

Leave a comment:

• tiff_lee
    replied

Originally posted by dancedj View Post
    I always heard it's the non-coscast ones
    Correct, there is a good thread by Darren in the how2 members section providing more details.

Leave a comment:

• dancedj
    replied

Originally posted by dongaz View Post
    are the early 20xej heads prone to the pouris fault or is it just the later gm heads i ask as mine is a 87 xej which is a very early one
    I always heard it's the non-coscast ones

Leave a comment:

• dongaz
    replied

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
    in 1986/1987 general motors contracted cosworth to develop a twin cam version of their 2 litre family 2 engine, in conjuction with opels advanced engine development. the engine was production ready in 1987 at cosworths wellingborough site and was designated "KBA". it produced 156bhp in road trim and 220bhp in the group A competition version. the road going version was fitted to astra/kadett vectra/cavaliers, the cylinder head was cast by cosworth at their wellingborough site and laterly worcestershire, and assembled on site in low volumes in paralell with GMs own production line. opel designate this engine 20XE and 20XEJ

UK and european recessions, plus cost saving of mass line production forced GM to take over production and assembly of the engine. as a final cost saving measure production of the cylinder head was farmed to german engine component manufacturer kolbenschmidt
    are the early 20xej heads prone to the pouris fault or is it just the later gm heads i ask as mine is a 87 xej which is a very early one

Leave a comment:

• dancedj
    replied

Did you know that cavalier mk3 boot badges
    are a perfect fit for Speedline Alessios 2 centres.
    Champion editions abroad came in 5 door Belmont versions
    and several colours

Leave a comment:

• dancedj
    replied

Originally posted by micky taylor View Post
    correct, but you cant fit champion rear head rests as the holes arnt far enough apart
    Well that saves me attempting that mod!

Leave a comment:

• DarrenH
    replied

in 1986/1987 general motors contracted cosworth to develop a twin cam version of their 2 litre family 2 engine, in conjuction with opels advanced engine development. the engine was production ready in 1987 at cosworths wellingborough site and was designated "KBA". it produced 156bhp in road trim and 220bhp in the group A competition version. the road going version was fitted to astra/kadett vectra/cavaliers, the cylinder head was cast by cosworth at their wellingborough site and laterly worcestershire, and assembled on site in low volumes in paralell with GMs own production line. opel designate this engine 20XE and 20XEJ

UK and european recessions, plus cost saving of mass line production forced GM to take over production and assembly of the engine. as a final cost saving measure production of the cylinder head was farmed to german engine component manufacturer kolbenschmidt

Leave a comment:

• station
    replied

Originally posted by flatside View Post
    All Mk2 astras had the rear beam mounted offset to the drivers side by a several millimeters (except possibly the astramax van). Ive never known why, does anyone here know?
    There are a few Renaults that have that offset, and probably a few more.

Leave a comment:

• Dario
    replied

Did you know that the first testing of the 16v xe engine gave about 170bhp, but was tuned down because Opel thought it was to strong for the Opel Kadett Gsi/Vauxhall Astra MkII. Mainly the Exhaust Manifold was re designed to lower the effect from the 16v powerplant...

Did you know that the rally car of Sepp Haider was bought by the Norwegian rally driver Steinar Joranli and he drove the Opel Kadett Gsi 16v to many victorys in rallycross and hill climbs fighting with cossie and Bmw M3 with almost twice as much horsepower.

Did you know that there are a promo video of Opel`s rally engagement with Gsi 16v, starring Sepp Haider`s Kadett gsi, and i got a vhs rip of it on dvd :P

Leave a comment:

• AncientSurfer
    replied

Originally posted by johnl View Post
    The red earlier edition has a lot more information and well worth getting. I picked one up from ebay for 69p plus postage the other day.
    I got mine from a boot fair for 20p.

Leave a comment:

• Ben K
    replied

hi
    i believe the larger tunnel was to accomadate the cat as the late cabbies also had this shell and i had a german e plate cabbie that had the larger tunnel because the cat was introduced earlier in europe

cheers ben

Leave a comment:

• aussie astraGTE
    replied

daewoo cielo (nexia) glxi 5door has power windows & uses gm parts ,doors fit & if you remove the door handle the mk2 handle recess is under it & mk2 handle fits it also has a 16v 1.6 or 1.8 gm engine looks like echo tech engine ,don't see very many of them most were 1.5 corsa engine

Leave a comment:

Working...
X