X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: useless mk2 astra and engine trivia thread

Originally posted by turbogsi View Post
    Shit, I demolished one like this
    You can get chrome frames for the inner door handles from older models , such as the opel senator.(sorry:don't know the english equivalent)
    Vauxhall Senator!

Comment

3 magazines i've bought containing launch reviews of the gte16v claim that vauxhall are (at the time, 1988) trialling a 4x4 floor pan for the gte, to counter handling iussues caused by the extra power and torque increase.

also the kadett gsi 16v was available in 5 door in europe
      Last edited by DarrenH; 04-01-2008, 08:18 PM.

Comment

if you pop down to halfords and pick up a mk2 astra haynes manual you get a modern slim blue cover edition. however, theres an earlier edition no longer in circulation where the "new" 16v gte was only revision at the end of the book. it had an extra massive blow-by-blow pictorial guide on how to rebuild and strip the F16 4 and 5 speed gearboxes.

Comment

all i know is that kadett gsi 16v came in in 5 and 3 door in europe

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
            if you pop down to halfords and pick up a mk2 astra haynes manual you get a modern slim blue cover edition. however, theres an earlier edition no longer in circulation where the "new" 16v gte was only revision at the end of the book. it had an extra massive blow-by-blow pictorial guide on how to rebuild and strip the F16 4 and 5 speed gearboxes.

The red earlier edition has a lot more information and well worth getting. I picked one up from ebay for 69p plus postage the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by sbd16v View Post
              some fillins

the later xe crank was heaver beacause vauxhall changed the material for casting the crank for a cheaper one, it was alos not as strong so to bring it up to the required strength after testing found more material was needed in certain places this is why the crank weighs more.

vauxhall made a very rare engine called a C20XER

with the R standing for racing, this engine was never available however parts can still be bought from it it came with a different crank again

the crank us performance likes have come to know and use

it is made from the later casting but using the early material this gives it the strength of the early material with the added strength that the later crank gained thou more material.

this is a dirrect fit for the xe with the exception it uses a 4 bolt bottom pully from a XEV

this engine was also fitted with a different oil pump that had a nylon valve and steel pump gears as standard, althou most of the engine remained as found in the XE

Just realised, I had a C20XER engine last year in a Calibra!!!! I always wondered why the code was XER, it also had the 4-bolt bottom pulley setup, I thought it was just running an ECO crank lol

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post

I was given the red covered one with my GTE lol

Comment

hi read i here somewhere 93 on a 'k' reg cabs weren't called gte's i've got one and its a gte on the log book?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonzo View Post
                    Just realised, I had a C20XER engine last year in a Calibra!!!! I always wondered why the code was XER, it also had the 4-bolt bottom pulley setup, I thought it was just running an ECO crank lol

thats a shame would have loved to have striped that apart and had good look inside

Comment

Pre facelift Astras have a harder roof lining with a brushed cotton effect texture where as the later ones have a soft sponge lining which has a nasty habit of falling down

Comment

the champion was also known as the london edition because it was only sold by london dearers

Comment

You can get plastic inserts & headrests from cielo or use the whole rear seat

Comment

on the bertone cabby on the A piller up the top by the screen are 2 plastic screws each side, and there are 2 metal screws on the top of the roll bar this is for a vauxhall roof rack

Comment

Originally posted by exclusivemark View Post
                              Pre facelift Astras have a harder roof lining with a brushed cotton effect texture where as the later ones have a soft sponge lining which has a nasty habit of falling down
                              Wouldn't all these earlier types have been sunroof-less? Just thinking if it's worth trying to hunt down an early lining for mine.

Comment

Good point there not 100% sure on whether any had a sunroof or not - does anybody know when the sunroof option was available on the lesser models

Comment

Working...
                                X