This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• useless mk2 astra and engine trivia thread

anyone got any useless trivia ? i'll get the ball rolling, might sticky this thread and maybe copy it to the tech archives when its heaving with peoplles findings and old yarns lol.

the little contersunk screws used to secure front brake disks to the front hub on most vauxhalls, are the same part as on the oil pump backing plate

mk2 astra and mk2 cavalier share the same heater blower unit.

mk2 handbrake levers point at a funny angle as they were designed for left hand drive kadetts.

did you know the camshafts are hollow? they supply oil to their own bearing surfaces, through the centre of the cam.

F16 and F20 are externally and internally identicle except 2 of the endcase bearings, and a smaller diff on the F16

gte16v rear beams run an extra degree of negative camber than all other mk2 models.

the design and development of the 2.0 16v 20XE engine began as early as 1983, production began in 1987 and the first GTE16v rolled off the production line on an E plate in 1988. very rare though!

despite the chunkier exterior appearance, the astra gte models actually have a better drag cooeficient than the smoother base models.

the 8v engines are actually of isuzu design and origin

GTE models have extra loom and multiplugs in the drivers side of the dashboard for heated seats, but they were never fitted to uk models

could sit here all day, please feel free to add

Re: useless mk2 astra and engine trivia thread

GTE models have extra loom and multiplugs in the drivers side of the dashboard for heated seats, but they were never fitted to uk models

Some gte's had them fitted as an optional extra when they were pdi'd by the dealer along with the rare trip computer in place of the analogue clock. The tech i used to work with used to fit them along with the gold champion decals which were a dealer fit, hence why most never got them and they ended up being stuck to someones toolbox

Comment

Very interesting! More!

Comment

Rear seats have the holes/guides for the fitment of rear headrests. If you press down on the tops of the seats you will be able to feel them

Comment

Originally posted by superstartaxi View Post
          Rear seats have the holes/guides for the fitment of rear headrests. If you press down on the tops of the seats you will be able to feel them
          correct, but you cant fit champion rear head rests as the holes arnt far enough apart

Comment

And fitting a switch to the black/colour and black wires in those plugs gives you a nice and easy switched ignition live

16v's have a green plug taped to the loom out of the way for a trip computer... if (big IF) you can find one out of a Mk2 Astra, MK2 Cavalier, Mk1 Carlton, Mk1 Senator and Opel Monza, its plug and play!

You could get 16v 5 doors in Germany

8v GTE hatchs and 8v GTE Cabrios dont run the same 2.0i 8v engine, the cabrio is around 7 bhp down on the hatch.

The Astra GTE 16v shares its so called 'unique' floorpan and gear selector setup with the Astramax van.

Comment

Originally posted by superstartaxi View Post
              Got rear headrests in mine

Comment

Very interesting sorry i dont have any info but wanna follow this thread..

Comment

cabrio is around 7 bhp down on the hatch
                  Yup, they had the 20NE (115BHP), also to be found on allsorts such as the Calibra 8V.

Are you sure about the 8V engine thing? I thought origin of the 8V goes back years and years, way before Izuzu.

Comment

no, they were pushrod and cih before that

Comment

you can get a 1.2 OHV in a mk2 Astra too.

Comment

Originally posted by Brett View Post
                        you can get a 1.2 OHV in a mk2 Astra too.
                        You certainly can, I had one myself and it could shift pretty well for a 1.2

Comment

Originally posted by Gteman View Post
                          You certainly can, I had one myself and it could shift pretty well for a 1.2
                          AGREED

Comment

The 2.0ltr 16v 20XE engine has sodium filled exhaust valves to aid cooling

Comment

Did you know that the 16V GTE MK 2 engine was developed by Cosworth at a plant in Liverpool, but the Cosworth name could not be used cause of the licensing agreement for Mercedes and Ford. Ford went on to buy the Company from Armstrong who also make Tanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X