X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exclusivemark
    replied
    Re: useless mk2 astra and engine trivia thread

Pre facelift Astras have a harder roof lining with a brushed cotton effect texture where as the later ones have a soft sponge lining which has a nasty habit of falling down

Leave a comment:

• _SBD16v
    replied

Originally posted by Bonzo View Post
    Just realised, I had a C20XER engine last year in a Calibra!!!! I always wondered why the code was XER, it also had the 4-bolt bottom pulley setup, I thought it was just running an ECO crank lol

thats a shame would have loved to have striped that apart and had good look inside

Leave a comment:

• gtecab
    replied

hi read i here somewhere 93 on a 'k' reg cabs weren't called gte's i've got one and its a gte on the log book?

Leave a comment:

• untouchable
    replied

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
    if you pop down to halfords and pick up a mk2 astra haynes manual you get a modern slim blue cover edition. however, theres an earlier edition no longer in circulation where the "new" 16v gte was only revision at the end of the book. it had an extra massive blow-by-blow pictorial guide on how to rebuild and strip the F16 4 and 5 speed gearboxes.

I was given the red covered one with my GTE lol

Leave a comment:

• Bonzo
    replied

Originally posted by sbd16v View Post
    some fillins

the later xe crank was heaver beacause vauxhall changed the material for casting the crank for a cheaper one, it was alos not as strong so to bring it up to the required strength after testing found more material was needed in certain places this is why the crank weighs more.

vauxhall made a very rare engine called a C20XER

with the R standing for racing, this engine was never available however parts can still be bought from it it came with a different crank again

the crank us performance likes have come to know and use

it is made from the later casting but using the early material this gives it the strength of the early material with the added strength that the later crank gained thou more material.

this is a dirrect fit for the xe with the exception it uses a 4 bolt bottom pully from a XEV

this engine was also fitted with a different oil pump that had a nylon valve and steel pump gears as standard, althou most of the engine remained as found in the XE

Just realised, I had a C20XER engine last year in a Calibra!!!! I always wondered why the code was XER, it also had the 4-bolt bottom pulley setup, I thought it was just running an ECO crank lol

Leave a comment:

• johnl
    replied

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
    if you pop down to halfords and pick up a mk2 astra haynes manual you get a modern slim blue cover edition. however, theres an earlier edition no longer in circulation where the "new" 16v gte was only revision at the end of the book. it had an extra massive blow-by-blow pictorial guide on how to rebuild and strip the F16 4 and 5 speed gearboxes.

The red earlier edition has a lot more information and well worth getting. I picked one up from ebay for 69p plus postage the other day.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

all i know is that kadett gsi 16v came in in 5 and 3 door in europe

Leave a comment:

• DarrenH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• DarrenH
    replied

3 magazines i've bought containing launch reviews of the gte16v claim that vauxhall are (at the time, 1988) trialling a 4x4 floor pan for the gte, to counter handling iussues caused by the extra power and torque increase.

also the kadett gsi 16v was available in 5 door in europe
    Last edited by DarrenH; 04-01-2008, 09:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Brett
    replied

Originally posted by turbogsi View Post
    Shit, I demolished one like this
    You can get chrome frames for the inner door handles from older models , such as the opel senator.(sorry:don't know the english equivalent)
    Vauxhall Senator!

Leave a comment:

• turbogsi
    replied

Originally posted by alistair j View Post
    The sunroof was an added option on the gte, yet you find a 16v without a sunroof. they are like hens teeth.
    Shit, I demolished one like this
    You can get chrome frames for the inner door handles from older models , such as the opel senator.(sorry:don't know the english equivalent)

Leave a comment:

• InnesKongSX
    replied

According to Hadrians catalouge and my local parts dealer there are more than 10 types of fuel tanks for the astra mk2 I had to measure and draw mine from the SX 1.6 and send it to them after getting sent the wrong tank 3 times

Leave a comment:

• Brett
    replied

Originally posted by johnyvalve View Post
    try a nexia dash they are identical but has an extra switch for the boot release above the fuse compartment
    No they are very different, you can fit it into a Mk2 but the area around the heater matrix is different and theres a lot of extra frame work that needs removing in order to fit the Mk2 Astra heater controls.

Leave a comment:

• JasonJ
    replied

Interesting fact that you may already know...

The Mk 2 astra was available in Germany with the Isuzu 1.5 td engine.

Leave a comment:

• johnyvalve
    replied

try a nexia dash they are identical but has an extra switch for the boot release above the fuse compartment
    Last edited by johnyvalve; 28-10-2007, 02:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X