Door speaker builds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Door speaker builds

The best cabinet by far is a cabinet with resonance free walls. The more roundness the better, the more weight the better, the stiffer the better. I don't know if you are planning on using a sub? If you are then you don't need the front speakers to have a very large air volume...

Then if you are going through so much trouble (and cutting your thumb for crying out loud!) then you better make 1000% sure you are going to use speakers worth all the trouble. So get a proven pair with specs that can be used to arrange them to perform optimally. If there is Qts, Vas and Fs specified you are looking at a quality speaker mate. Don't go for less!!

Then if these specs are given (and measured) you must make sure they suit the system you intend to use them for. As I said, the AJdesigner (freeware!) software will tell you a LOT about the quality of the speaker. If the simulation gives like 600 litres for a 16cm driver you are dealing with a crap piece of speaker....

If you are intending to drive a sub you can save a lot of trouble and may be even better off with 8 ohm hifi speakers on the fronts.

As I said 6x9" speakers are almost always not great quality (to stay in gentle terms)

If you are running a sub the front speakers don't need to be very large, a 13cm or even 10cm can be fine and go very loud when filtered well at the bottom end.

If you have made a choice I would be more than willing to give further advise in whether it will all work as you would want them and make some recommendations to get max. performance. In the past I have made some serious car system builds, some have even featured decibel matches, though I am not so much a fan of extreme sound pressure, rather sound quality, customers often wanted it LOUD!

Comment

The build thread looks ok, not sure about the foam though, it really depends on what the speakers want to see ... arn't most car speakers designed for use in free air?

Not subs of course ...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBox View Post
        The build thread looks ok, not sure about the foam though, it really depends on what the speakers want to see ... arn't most car speakers designed for use in free air?

Not subs of course ...
        Not all no... Most of them are though, wrapped in shiny blisters with screaming texts printed on them, bright colours, sold per pair. Especially the coaxial type should be mistrusted. If you take a composet (separate tweeter and woofer with a decent filter unit) you usually go up in quality by more than a notch or two....

Off course in the end you are to choose yourself and buy what you think you will be happy with. All I am saying is that you can make a smarter choice if you know what to look out for.

And another important thing to know, if you are not planning on building an enclosure of some kind then the cheap speakers designed for open air use still sound best in a cardboard door panel that is leaking and rattling all over the place.... Decent speakers would just sound worse then...

My system of PVC pipe is barely 6 liters inside and goes as low as 40 hz at pretty high output level, and then to think I only have a 4" driver there! (or actually two in an "isobaric" enclosure...) You have to be a real bass extremist if they still leave you hungry for more!! I don't have a sub, nasty stand in the ways in the boot!!
        Last edited by Vinci; 10-04-2012, 08:34 PM.

Comment

*Slides from the darkness*

17cm components with the tweeter mounted in the dash speaker position, doors dynomatted and all powered by amp, very bassy! The speaker angle was off but I'd cracked it by the 3rd try. Still got 3 lots of door pockets to make pods out of, just need a mk2 to stick'em in.

Comment

Working...
          X