Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Astra gte bulb types

Hi ,
    I have recently purchased a gte and want to replace a few bulbs.
    I remember years ago that there was a list of all bulb types for the gte but i cannot find it.
    Anyone know where i can find it please.

P.s great to be back in a gte.

Hi steve, i don't remember the bulb guide !

are you talking about the dash lamps ?

Comment

Hi,it was more of list .

I want to know what head light bulb i need,interior map lights,boot light,cigarette light etc etc.
      I want to upgrade some to led and xenon gas head light bulbs.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Hi Steve I'm pretty sure upgrading your current halogen headlights to Xenon's or HID's is a lot more involved than just doing a bulb conversion. Your current headlight lens and reflector is designed to throw a beam pattern based on a halogen bulb design fitment. Just doing a quick search on the internet it looks like its a bit of a minefield as some articles suggest that the whole headlamp should be replaced with one designed with the correct lens and reflector to accommodate a Xenon or HID bulb. It looks like there is a requirement to have auto headlamp levelling and headlamp washers too but looks a real grey area. Given legislation is changing all the time it could end up being a problem when the car goes to MOT maybe not for the fitment of the Xenon bulb itself but more so the headlight beam pattern and how the light is thrown. Also as its a modification stupid as it sounds you would need to tell your insurance company. They are getting so picky over slightest of mods these days now.

I think sometimes we need to reside ourselves to the fact that MK2 headlights are just S*** lol. On the occasions I driven my car around at night I generally left the lights on main beam just to get a half decent light and never get flashed. Either that or it might be cheaper to get yourself a pair of night vision goggles !! :wink:

Comment

I tried a pair of LED bulbs in my 16v and they were shite .... The best solution for MK2 headlights is the "short wire relay conversion" where you just use the existing head/dip supply wires to drive a pair of relays that have a thick supply wire from the battery and short wire thick wires to the bulb plugs. That's what lets down the MK2 very old high resistance wires and sockets.

I'm sure someone wrote up a spec once on here somewhere ... However its not that difficult .

Laurie.

There you go ---->>>> http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...1259#post91259
          Last edited by easytrans; 22-02-2018, 11:14 PM. Reason: Found useful link

Comment

Agree on Laurie's point above, I relayed the headlights on my Astra Mk3 and the difference is remarkable. Combine it with good bulbs (eg. Osram Nightbreakers or similar) and new light units if possible and they are genuinely usable - of the three upgrades, the relays have helped the most.

I've not done it on the Mk2s as they don't do the miles that the Mk3 does, but given the headlights are of similar design I'd expect similar results. Only thing is on the GTEs it messes up the bulb sensors I believe.

Comment

You can buy a Landrover kit off the shelf for ?30 or so.

Paul..
              My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

Hi,thanks for the reply's guys.
                I am after a more modern white light than the yellow so i will probably get osram night breakers or similar.
                Will 501 leds be ok for side lights?

Comment

The Nightbreakers will help but they will still have a yellowish tinge, less so on main beam than dipped though. The overriding problem is the voltage at the bulbs, I would expect you will be 1.5V or even 2V lower at the bulbs than across the battery terminals - the power has to run through the loom, fusebox, headlamp switch, dip switch, dim-dip relay on the later cars and only then into the bulbs. Add in thirty years of aging to the switches and loom, plus everything being built down to a price as with any mass-produced car, and the voltage drop is even worse...

Give the Nightbreakers (or Philips equivalent) a decent voltage and the yellowish tinge on the road disappears. I can't say I have any interest in the colour of the bulbs beyond their performance myself, but they look less yellow from outside too.
                  Last edited by Pigeonrat; 23-02-2018, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Hi Steve I remember seeing this thread on the forum a little while ago which might also help a lot and broadly in line with what Pigeonrat and Easytrans are suggesting.
                    This looks a really good step by step guide for the sort of mod you are looking to do. Hope this is of help.

I've been at it again. As I'm never happy with the electrics, I decided to redo the headlight relays. This time, I've housed the rad fan relay in the same box, and

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
                      X