ABS problems - MOT failure HELP! DIY ABS Diagnostics? 16V GTE J reg

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS problems - MOT failure HELP! DIY ABS Diagnostics? 16V GTE J reg

Bad news... Just failed my MOT yesterday, and it runs out on Wednesday!!! We have a baby due in 3 weeks, and Christmas is in the way.. And I need to sell it to get a family car!! Oh, it's headache time!!

Failed on rust where the left hand rear spring seat is welded to the chassis, and on no ABS bulb in the dash.... Got to find a car repair welder in the week leading up to Christmas...

I've had the car just less than a year, the previous owner must have removed the bulb... I should have smelt a rat when he included a load of parts for the car including an ABS unit... grrrrrr... So I have a spare unit if it comes to it, but it's condition is unknown.

My first job is to replace the ABS bulb, then see if it's been removed for a reason.....

I can do basic checks, like the resistance of the sensors to check for open / short circuits, but is there a way to get a fault code from the ABS unit? Does it flash codes out like the Motronic ECU?

I'd like to fault-find before just going ahead and changing parts, and potentially wasting what little time I have left!

Any help is GREATLY, GREATLY, I mean GREATLY appreciated..

Cheers, Scott

Re: ABS problems - MOT failure HELP! DIY ABS Diagnostics? 16V GTE J reg

can you not just give it to the garage with mot failure sheet and ask how much to sort that and put 12 month ticket on it, close to xmas they may do it as a side job, cash straight into their pocket. worth a ask at the least you will get a price

Comment

once the bulb is back in you can flash out error codes from the ABS ecu, in exactly the same manner as you do for the engine ECU.

obviously the abs light flashes the codes though.

http://www.topbuzz.co.uk/info/abs_codes/abs_codes.htm

if you are lucky it will just be an air gap issue on a sensor.

if the abs light comes on and doesnt respond when the pins are bridged on the ALDL plug then it usually the pump relay
      Last edited by DarrenH; 18-12-2011, 12:35 PM.

Comment

p.s i wondered why it failed ? allot of gte's didnt have ABS, so why are they forcing compliance ?

Comment

Fit a bulb in the abs light first and see what it does

It should come on with ignition then go out after a few seconds

Comment

Odders - brilliantly useful as ever! thanks!

Thanks also Sixty...

TYhe Snow has melted a bit now, so I'll go and have a bash... Will write again in a bit!!!

Thanks guys, Scott.

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
              p.s i wondered why it failed ? allot of gte's didnt have ABS, so why are they forcing compliance ?
              If it's fitted it has to work, not to mention that with abs you dont have rear line restrictors so they back end will step out under heavy braking.

Bulb may of just burnt out over time rather than removed. It's worth checking out the toothed rings on the cv's and given them a wire brush as well.
              Returned GTE to default settings : On axle stands

Comment

Hi Ben, thanks for the sound advice...

Since the previous owner supplied a spare ABS unit with the car... I'd guess there's no bulb present!

I'll also check the rings, the ones I've been near so far (due to wheel bearing replacements) look good though.

Comment

Originally posted by BenH View Post
                  If it's fitted it has to work, not to mention that with abs you dont have rear line restrictors so they back end will step out under heavy braking.

Bulb may of just burnt out over time rather than removed. It's worth checking out the toothed rings on the cv's and given them a wire brush as well.
                  line restrictors for rear brakes are fitted on output stage of the abs pump

Comment

Think on GTEs the abs light stays on till engine is running.

Comment

You can wire the ABS light to the Lambda heater wire, so the light acts correctly. Apparently.

Comment

Hi Chaps,

well, I fitted the ABS bulb, and during re-assembly of the dash, one of the digi-dash bulbs decided to pack up.. so with that now fixed, I'm getting a permanent ABS light.

I followed the test instructions, and shorted out pins A and K to get the diagnostics going, ignition on again, and a big fat nothing... the light just stayed on.... This is frustrating, 3 days left before MOT is up, and I need to get welding done too! The temperature has dropped again, and my fingers are frozen....

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	471527

Comment

its a big job but on my last gte i stripped the abs off and binned it fitted 8v master cylinder and made new set of brake pipes no more abs probs

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
                            if the abs light comes on and doesnt respond when the pins are bridged on the ALDL plug then it usually the pump relay
                            Dude, this is exactly what's happening.

When you say Pump Relay, Are you referring to U4.1 (under the plastic cover of the ABS hydraulic unit), highlighted in the attached picture? (ie: not the external relay K47, ABS Surge Protection Relay)

Cheers, Scott.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Haynes marked-up.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	471528

Comment

its clipped to the passenger suspension turret. usually 3 on the posh GTE's, one for the headlamp washers (with fuse holder) one for the fuel pump, one for ABS...

Comment

Working...
                              X