No announcement yet.

Replaced Micra radiator crossmember...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replaced Micra radiator crossmember...

Our 1993 micra K11 failed it's MOT again, so needed to drag out the welder again to replace front crossmember. Took me all evening yesterday...

Some different mechanic at the garage did the test this time, to let it fail on some of the welding done last year, which then passed the test. Nothing happened there the whole year, so was kinda surprised. Maybe he was right, there was a little area that wasn't welded with the prescribed distances. Wasn't welded at all over a two inch area to be honest, but what an arse to bend all the tin next to it with a screwdriver! He bent the lot inwards, with no option bending it back, there's no access to it from the inside. I had no other option than to drill a hole above it to stick a little steel bar in to tap it back down. Alternatively I could have tapped the other bit towards it, resulting in a dent in the sill, but welding such a large gap, upwards with a mig welder, on super thin material?? No way!!

Then he let it fail in the front beam, of which there was nothing left really, but said it would be ok to weld a little plate in. The whole engine is sitting on thop of that for crying out loud!

Oh yes, I will give them a little rap when I bring it back!

Re: Replaced Micra radiator crossmember...

You've done a nice job there Vince, just stick a patch over the patch on the sill .. that'll do it.

BTW, over here they are not allowed to bend metal like that for MOT testing.

Comment

Nice tidy work.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBox View Post
        You've done a nice job there Vince, just stick a patch over the patch on the sill .. that'll do it.

BTW, over here they are not allowed to bend metal like that for MOT testing.
        Well, that was one of my thoughts, then pulled the interior trim off and tried to enter the sill by hand, but it's not a MK2, inside the sill there is a huge box section making any entrance impossible. So I finally drilled a little hole in the top of the sill, large enough to put a little steel rod in to press the sheet material back down. After that, and due to the fantastic new MIG welder they bought at the club I was able to weld it together quite nicely.

The garage guy wasn't too interested in my protest, prick! I know I'm not going there again!

Originally posted by astragte_mk2 View Post
        Nice tidy work.
        Cheers mate, it's not the approach I'd take doing a classic car, but for an MOT repair it's way above average...

Comment

Working...
        X