Bonnet Sound Deadening Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnet Sound Deadening Material

Does this make a big difference to engine noise when fitted? Currently not got one but I feel the noise of the engine is quite loud at motorway speeds. I have also removed the bulkhead material so I imagine this contributes to increased cabin noise.

Cheers
    Tom

Re: Bonnet Sound Deadening Material

More significant on 16v engines & yes removing both will increase noise

Comment

Had to remove the bulkhead one for welding. Won't be putting another one back in but may consider the bonnet one.

Comment

Got one new GTE one for sale but they are not cheap

Comment

They are down right expensive! I'd never waste one myself! Though I have driven four MK2's in my life of which the first three didn't have the bulkhead padding, neither the bonnet one and now have a 16V with both and it is the most noisy one still...

I have a gut feeling the engine noise level of the MK2 also has to do with the construction of the rear engine mount fitted to the lower bulkhead which acts as a resonance chamber and also the floor panels etc. start vibrating heavily due to this. I have a little plan (see my topic) to alter the rear engine mount to something more like the MK3. That'll be a pretty tough nut to crack though probably, not exactly the 'easy mod'...

Comment

my gte isnt that bad, i have no sound deadening under bonnet or either side of the bulk head, but i do have dynamatt on the inside, cant really hear the engine or the 3" exhaust.

Comment

I suppose I'm used to a quieter engine and a newer car. It's not annoying but just quite loud. I have taken the silencer section out of the air box but that has to be done doesn't it!

I'm never going to refit the bulkhead material - it came off in bits anyway and is long gone. I may try and source the bonnet material. Did have one but ended up throwing it out for some reason.

Comment

Never had an issue took out all of mine, always liked what i could hear lol

Comment

same here all mines out and seems no difference?

love the sound of mine though so louder the better lol

Comment

Working...
                  X