Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 SRi restoration

Hi everyone,

I've just joined the forum as the restoration on my MK2 is about to begin! I bought the car in 1992 and drove it until 2007 when it failed an MOT and was tucked away in a garage. I moved it to another lock up about 3 years ago and last weekend I had it transported to my house, ready for the restoration.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 4 photos.

Hi,

Firstly, welcome to the forum
    Glade to see another MK2 about to be restored, here you will find pretty much find all the help and support you will need, maybe start a diary and try to keep the photos and updates coming.
    Good luck with it
    Thats a nice looking car by the way

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      Hi,

Firstly, welcome to the forum
      Glade to see another MK2 about to be restored, here you will find pretty much find all the help and support you will need, maybe start a diary and try to keep the photos and updates coming.
      Good luck with it
      Thats a nice looking car by the way
      Thank you, I'll keep the thread updated with plenty of photos

Comment

Blimey, an early two-tone SRi. That is a very, very rare beast, even by Mk2 standards. Well done for hanging onto it as long as you have! As above, lots of photos please!

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeonrat View Post
          Blimey, an early two-tone SRi. That is a very, very rare beast, even by Mk2 standards. Well done for hanging onto it as long as you have! As above, lots of photos please!
          I don't think I ever saw another one, even when I bought it in the early 90s.

Comment

I can believe that - they were only available in the guise of yours between December 1986 and August 1987. After that the grey decals on the doors were removed and the bumpers switched to body colour. I've only ever seen 3 two-tone SRis, two back in the 1990s (a red one somewhere, and a silver one on the M3 early one morning), and a red Belmont version on Frinton high street in around 2004. It was a rare enough sight I made a detour for a closer look!

The later ones were a fair bit more common, especially the facelift ones.

Comment

Lucky I kept hold of it then Thanks for all the background on them, hopefully there are a few more hidden away in garages, waiting to be rescued.

Comment

Some of the parts have started to arrive....... 20201009_143600.jpg

Comment

i think ive only ever seen sri;s like this in GM press photos and brochures nice save, look forward to your resto updates

Comment

Originally posted by DarrenH View Post
                    i think ive only ever seen sri;s like this in GM press photos and brochures nice save, look forward to your resto updates
                    Thanks, I think I'll keep an eye out for an old brochure on Ebay so see if my colour scheme was shown in the pictures

Comment

125174171_734143393978909_1152940578888410197_n.jpg

Comment

125227409_734143407312241_4326297821148903936_n.jpg

Comment

124973713_734143443978904_4384103562741273716_n.jpg

Comment

Great news! Are you doing the work yourself or letting somebody else do it?

I've managed to collect most of the 1980s Vauxhall-Opel publications over the years but am yet to find one featuring the early SRi in white. GM used to run the same photos over the course of the year and have a new photoshoot with different cars the following year, so with your spec not being built for long there probably weren't many different shoots. I can offer brochure pics in Carmine Red and Astro Silver though, which were the shoot colours in 1987

Attached Files

Comment

What I do have, though, is the 1986 model year brochures for the SR, which externally is very close to yours - and one of those cars used was Polar White...
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X