1990 Astra GL Diary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvey's correct an early Sri one.
    Thanks for all the positive comments, I have questioned if I'm mad keeping and spending a tidy sum on it but I know I'm doing the right thing and will probably still have it in another 20 years.

Comment

I've spent 3 grand on my poxy 1.3L. But I love it. Now I've had the floor fixed, found and repaired the leaks from the scuttle and had the tow eye repaired, I've noticed the inboard side of the sills to the floor are rotten. Keep on it but really have a good look for any bits that need attention before you start using it again is my advice.

Comment

I've been to see progress this morning and will update with pictures later.

It's having a though going over across the entire inside, rear inner arches and rear seat belt mounts are throwing up surprises now!

Comment

Drivers foot well repaired.

Passenger side rear wheel arch

Drivers side rear wheel arch

Rear corners behind bumper

Rear seat belt mount from inside and from wheel arch

Last edited by The Griffin; 21-09-2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

I now need to find two inner rear wheel arches, the mk3 is the same where the suspension mounts (the bit I need).

Comment

Nasty pasty, but your on the road to recovery by the looks of it. A mk3 donor should be able to assist but RallyMarshal (aka Paul) might have some relevant spares lucked away he might be willing to part with so drop him a PM.

Comment

Seem to have lost the last two pictures

Comment

Went to my local breakers at the weekend and found this

60k two owners with all the paperwork in the car and the most important bit was solid rear suspension top mounts which were then removed

Hopefully when cleaned up they will be solid and the same as the mk2 parts.

Comment

Look good :-)

Paul..
                    My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

When cleaned up the top mounts were perfect, also fitted fine as well. Both rear corners behind bumper nearly done, then found another couple of bits in the rear panel where the chassis rails join it.

Nearly done and the entire chassis and floor areas have had a good going over so I know these parts are now all solid and good for a few more years. It's as rust free as it's ever been in the 19 years I've owned it. Not stupid enough to think its totally rust free though! I bet even new they weren't and I'm sure there's no such thing as a rust free mk2.

Comment

Nice work, I'v never seen rear turrets like that before, I'm sure my white GTE will need this kind of treatment in the near future, I recon the underseal is holding mine together

Comment

It's when the underseal fails you have a problem, the rust patch in the corner of the drivers side is underseal failure allowing moisture in and trapping it. That said after removing the spot welds they didn't come out easily.

Comment

What a good read that.. Like the fact that it's a 4 door and the way you've freshened it up over the years, it will be a cracking car when the bodywork is finished..

Comment

All the work is done, new MOT and being picked up tonight. I will update with pictures soon.

Now need to refit the interior before having anew set of tyres fitted and have the alignment set up as it also had two new bottom arms at the front, then I can enjoy it again!

Comment

Holy crap that was quick! My mk2 still needs similar stuff and I was sort of planning for it to be away for a year or two! Can't wait for pics.

Comment

Working...
                                X