X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DarrenH
    replied
    Re: Tarmac "GpA" rallycar build.

why dont upol sell graviguard in the 1 litre gun-a-ble cans, thats what irritates me

Leave a comment:

• KEV
    replied

I've never seen that upol stuff before. Interesting. The tetrosyl stuff I used on my astra was ok for a few months but it flakes off now if you touch it.
    I spent a weekend last month waxoiling my van, even with the shutz gun it was horrible. Easily the muckiest messiest job I've done in years. Good feeling once it's done though!

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Been a month since I updated this and making slow progress due to WRGB, Rockingham and work...

Harness eyes fully welded into the seat rails for crotch strap and tunnel mounts too

Fitted test dash properly and fabricated the top and bottom mounts from the Mk3 and plated the gearlever hole.

The shell is going for paint next Monday so just received this... Going to be a long day on Sunday I suspect!

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Thanks Roger... Its certainly not moving anywhere now. However I have decided on Mk3 dash (sorry to the purists)

Some more bits arrived.. Electric plumbed in extinguisher

Terratrip tripmeter for distances etc

Then some weekend work.

First job was to remake the hyd handbrake mount on the car. Was close but still not happy with it entirely. I tweaked the cable change unuit slightly to remove a corner to allow the hydraulic handbrake to move across a little more and a better angle too. Then a mount was made for the extinguisher to sit in.

Also redrilled some of the rad mounting holes and started properly making the front end aircon carrier as space is tight.

We have the Mk3 aircon fan at the front, then the Mk3 aircon rad behind it, the Mocal oil cooler seems to be most protected behind that and the main radiator (Nexia) is behind that the normal position.

No updates next weekend as marshalling at Wales Rally GB..

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• Roger
    replied

def the mk2 dash :P

Nice update, and a real solid mount for the hand brake!

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Dbl posted...
    Last edited by RallyMarshal; 03-11-2014, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Weekend work continues. The plan is to dummy build the car to check fitments / locations etc before being painted.

Fitted the Mk3 heater / aircon unit inside the car.

with a modified top section to give wiper clearance

Trial fitted Mk3 dashboard, new OMP steering wheel and drivers seat

Then mocked up a wood (so WAD or Wood Aided Design this time) fitment for the cable change and hydraulic handbrake

View from the drivers side..

Then started making the bracketry - used some 30mm angle welded together to form a strong bracket - smaller at the bottom to bolt onto the std gearlever mounts and bigger on top for the cable changer.

Then trial fitted in the car to check..

Then I added the hydraulic handbrake bracket on the side from some thin box section

Had to alter the angle due to the passenger seat

But still all fits nicely. Also refitted a Mk2 dash to check clearances around the heater box.

Unsure whether to run Mk2 dashboard or Mk3 dashboard..

Prefer the look of a Mk3 but problem mounting it without loosing the screen vents and need to use a Mk3 loom with Mk2 bits added on.

Using a Mk2 loom means adding the aircon loom from a Mk3 and making up more vent pipes to match the heater box..

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Another week, another update..

Managed to get all the previously welded bits cleaned up and etch primed then decided to do a double check of all the suspension whilst the car was still on the jig. So a couple of photos..

Firstly, checked the fitment of the bottom arm kit, travel through the damper range, topmounts etc to ensure no binding or issues.

Then checked clearances with spring fitted on the other side.

Then fitted anti-roll bar and removed strut to check droplinks worked fine and lined upnicely.

Then fitted coilovered rear beam and Proflex to check clearances and travel and again, all good.

Finally we refitted the std rolling suspension (with a hacked about pair of std bottom arms to fit) and removed the car from the rollover jig so its now back on the floor and ready for some trial fitment of seat, dash etc..

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Originally posted by vindiablo View Post
    awasome)))) i like it)
    will you install some strutbrace between front wishbones?
    Thanks.

Im not planning on running a lower strut brace as the sumpguard is bolted on and provides strength. I will be running an upper strut brace between the topmounts.

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• vindiablo
    replied

awasome)))) i like it)
    will you install some strutbrace between front wishbones?

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Just a quick update.

Ste came over last night and did the various bits of welding needed. The bottom mounts inside the car were plated and welded. Need a little tidying and cleaning before primer but is nice and strong.

Also welded in the sumpguard rear mounts. These locate on the flat bit behind the bottom arm pivot.

and we also got the rear beam coilover mounts fitted and fully welded as well.. Has a captive nut fitted lower down and on the outside of the usual mount to give clearance for the damper body and adjusters and then 4mm thick plate welded in a U section.

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• Steve T
    replied

Looking fantastic Paul, coming on really well.

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

So its been a long time since the last post. Had a few weeks holiday in Australia and been very busy otherwise. Got back into it the past couple of weekends..

Firstly the sill stands were fitted and welded up then epoxy etch primed

I started work on the sumpguard fitment. Id already fitted the front mounting but first job was to drill the mounting holes for this

Then bolt it to the car and mark around the bottom arm mounts so it will all mount properly

Then I cut a few more awkwardly shaped bits off and mounted to the car. Meanwhile I also holesawed the rear mounts out of the chassis and these will be welded soon..

I also started prepping the rear beam. Started with an Estate Mk3 beam as I had one here and chopped off the usual mounts and flapdisked it.

The marked and drilled a lower mounting hole for the damper. This should allow me to lower the ride height around an inch without reducing the suspension travel.

So that the new coilover mountings will be made from strong enough material, I cut up an old rear beam - its around 4mm thick steel plate

Once Id cleaned them up, cut them up and measured correctly to give clearance, Ive now got 3 plates ready to be welded into a U shape and fitted to the rear beam. There will be a new captive nut welded to the beam that gives clearance and threading for the lower bolt.

We also disassembled the donor car for the build. Started with this...

Removed engine, bonnet, tailgate, doors etc..

Front suspension, rack, wiring loom, dash, interior, rear suspension, fuel tank etc..

Took out the 9" angle grinder and a number of cutting disks and ended up with this lot..

Roof and entire bulkhead are sold and a number of the good bits of the backend also being cut up to be used in the restore of other cars. Im going to keep the front end as a spare just in case.

Finally, we also managed to get the interior of the car and the cage cleaned and epoxy etch primed as well..

The shell is nearly ready to come down from the jig now but a few final bits of welding to do - rear sumpguard mounts, rear wishbone mounts inside and a few other bits too.

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Its not your fault - its the forum as it wont display the attachments properly - its why I upload my images to my own webserver..

Thanks for the advice though :-)

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• Tiparraco
    replied

Haha something's going wrong uploading image... maybe I did not choose the best picture. In this one it's clearer:

IMAG0647.jpg

That's in addition to chassis rail, and can be taken as a "response upgrade". I've experienced good results on another cars, and usually it's a good point. Great job anyway!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X