X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tarmac "GpA" rallycar build.

Weekly update time...

In order for the front triangulation to be fitted correctly, the inner wing must be cut to get a full weld. To facilitate this, I removed the strengthening pieces from the shell so that it will end up with overlapped pieces..

Then drilled out the spotwelds and removed the "bulged" strengthening piece using the panel splitter

Once that was removed, I then made a vertical slit in the middle strengthening piece and removed that

and then marked up the actual inner wing with a cut line so the rollcage installer can cut and reweld that piece.

I also made up some cardboard pieces and metal plates for the passenger rack triangulation.

We then refitted the rear beam, springs and dampers and front suspension assembly and took the shell off the jig.

Then loaded it up on the trailer...

and dropped it at Tornado Motorsport for the rollcage to be fitted..

Hopefully pick it up next Tuesday fully installed!

Paul..
    My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

and back from Tornado Motorsport comes the shell..

Crossbar between b pillars ties to the tunnel.

X diagonals, harness bar and rear strut brace all tied into the rear turrets

Slightly different door bars - 2 tubes bent and welded together which should be stronger

Triangulation piece between from strut top and bottom of A pillar runs through wheel well

and top tube of the front triangulation goes from plate on front strut to A pillar tube at dash height.

Paul..
      My rallying with mk2 adventures... http://www.astra-mk2.com/forum/forum...ing-adventures

Comment

very very nice.

i like the pinch on the door bars, not seen it done like that before (instead of crossing over with joins/butt welds)

Comment

Do you plan on gusseting the A and B pillars? Now is the time to do it if you are. It's something I plan on doing at some point as well as a better cage in mine.

Comment

The A and B pillars dont need gusseting as such as they follow the contours of the shell so closely, he has simply tagged them to the shell directly.

Highly recommend his work. Obviously motorsport biased but thats not necessarily a bad thing plus a weeks turnaround works well for me.

Paul..

Comment

stitch welded gusset probably bit more flexible than a bead of weld though? dunno, just thinking out loud really, might find it stress fractures along the bead of weld

Comment

I suppose thats possible but I doubt the top structure of the car will be under much load with the rollcage fitted as the cage is essentially adding the strength between the suspension points so shouldnt allow much flex.

?

Paul..

Comment

Really nice build. Looking forward to watching it come together.

Do the regs say anything about gussets? I can't see it being a night and day safety increase, but it'll stiffen the chassis up for sure.

Its weight where you don't want it as well, high up and forwards. I guess tagging it might be the way to go if theres a genuine benefit.

Comment

So this last weekend was about stripping parts from the Mk3 Astra sport to be used in the new build.

First we removed the entire dashboard to get at the heater box..

We also stripped the dash from Grey Mk3 aircon donor to see the differences in the heater boxes before transplanting..

The continued with the Sport.. Engine removal. This is a C18XE engine so will be used as a block donor to be bored to 86mm. The box is an F18CR and will be used to build the new car gearkit.

Dropped complete subframe of suspension and engine leaving rear mount attached to the subframe initially

Then split the engine/box from the subframe and reattached to the car to make it rolling again

We then started labelling and removing the entire wiring loom from the car. Lots of bits in a Mk3 loom that wont be used in the project but the dash loom probably will be used once thinned out. And removed the heater box to test fit in the Mk2 shell..

Also removed and drained the fuel tank and lines as theres going to be a fair bit of cutting of this shell - chassis leg, heater box hole etc and I dont want it going bang when using a 9" cutting disc!

Paul..
                    Last edited by RallyMarshal; 16-06-2014, 01:05 PM.

Comment

Weekend update time..

Stripped the rest of the bits I wanted from the Sport Estate so it now looks like this after cutting off the front crossmember, heater area, drivers side chassis leg and stripping useful parts. Its now ready to be weighed in tomorrow.

Also welded the passenger rack bracing.

The Mk3 Astra inner wing bracing was pointed out to me by DarrenH last weekend so removed that to use on the Mk2 as it looks stronger and more triangulated.

and finally a shot of the Mk3 Astra loom which will be used as the basis of the loom for this car..

Paul..

Comment

Been very busy with work and sorting stuff out but a couple of shell things done..

Inner wing ready for Mk3 outer mounts

and trial fitted..

Then took Mk3 Astra heater bulkead piece

Made a good old cardboard template

and marked on shell

Then started cutting

and trimmed Mk3 piece..

Although, Im changing plans a little with it as going to use this as a template for a flat piece of sheet metal to replace that whole section now after seeing another members work on his.

Also started on the engine with plans. Take a C18XE without aircon as the base.

Remove power steering and normal Mk3 engine mount and replace with Hockly engine mount and C20XE power steering bracket first.

Then after a little more thought, remove the power steering bracket and modify the smallblock aircon mount you have so it fits via 2 holes, not 4.

So the aircon pump lines up, just need a method of tensioning if Im going to use the multi-v alternator or a nice tight multi-v belt and a modified bottom pulley with a multi-V pulley for the aircon and a single v for the alternator..

Paul..
                        Last edited by RallyMarshal; 08-07-2014, 10:47 AM.

Comment

As much as I wanted to go to Billing, I needed to spend the weekend on the new car and sorting stuff out.

Stripped the C18XE topend off to get it nearly ready for boring to 86mm.

Then started on the shell. Unpicked the front end spotwelds..

Took the Mk3 Astra lower crossmember..

Removed the Mk2 lowe crossmember and trial fitted the Mk3 one after I cut it about a bit after some measuring

Trial fitted the aircon rad

Then trial fitted the Nexia cooling rad behind (its full width of the front end but full height as well) and the aircon colling fan

Fitted an old bumper to check clearances and all OK

The view from inside the engine bay..

Then (partly inspired by Project Binky) I made a negative engine mount jig so I could fit the Mk3 engine mount I was planning..

Glad I did as its highlighted a major issue with the different width of the engine bay chassis rails between a Mk2 and Mk3. If I use the Mk3 Hockly engine mount kit as I was planning to, the engine will be too far to the passenger side of the car or the chassis rail will be too far into the wheelarch to be strong. So going to stick with the Mk2 engine mount location and have a custom bracket made to replace the alloy mount bracket.

Paul..
                          Last edited by RallyMarshal; 14-07-2014, 12:58 PM.

Comment

So another weekend, another set of updates.

Stripped the C18XE down to a block to be bored to 86mm to suit the Omega pistons.

Then started working out the suumpguard fitment. Have an old sumpguard and front brace to be used so started spacing and working out the best place to mount.

Took the original front mount bracket

Added some spacer brackets. These will be welded directly to the chassis rails just behind the front panel.

Then cleaned up the front crossmember to remove the rust

and made up some metal strengthening plates to tie the front crossmember to the rest of the chassis properly.

Also removed the heater box from the aircon car to realise that the water pipes are in a completely different place to the std Mk2 / Mk3 heater box.

Spent the rest of Sunday afternoon tweaking the heater unit, marking and cutting holes in the bulkhead

and finally getting the heater box placed correctly inside and outside.

Paul..

Comment

Ste the welding guru came across last night to help me. Id prepped lots of jobs for him so we really cracked on.,.

Firstly he stitch welded the front crossmember together then welded in the strengthening plates Id made.

Then welded the sumpguard spacer mounts Id made up to the chassis leg and the front sumpguard brace to that. You can also see the front crossmember strengthening plates here too.

Then we trial fitted the heater box again and trimmed the outer plate and Ste fully welded this onto the top of the bulkhead

This now gives a better surface to mount the top of the heater box to.

Test fitted the heater box and the modified top section

and fitted the heater box inside the car for a photo.. Ive removed the "dash vents" here to fit the box properly and will have to modify those to suit the dash which also needs modifying to fit the car.

Paul..

Comment

welding spatter in the balls ?

by the looks of it mr Guru is too good for spatter

Comment

Working...
                                X