X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easytrans
    replied
    Re: Tarmac "GpA" rallycar build.

Good stuff there Paul, and perfect timing for me to copy your seat mountings :-D

So this one Is running drums on the rear? Standard or are the van/estate larger? Though I guess other than handbrake steering they get little use ...

Laurie.
    Last edited by easytrans; 23-02-2015, 07:15 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Some further bits arrived and more done..

Strutbrace, Polybushes for ARB, rear brake shoes, wheelbearings etc..

The seats also arrived, which highlighted an issue. I had based the original seat mount locations on the current seats and mounts, not expecting the new seats to be wider. However, because they are OMP fibreglass seats with head protection (and Im a lardy arse and need an XL) then I couldnt fit the seats on the seatmounts properly. There were a couple of "workarounds" we could have used but I wanted to do it properly.

So we had to remove the seat mount brackets from the seat rails, re-weld them further apart and then repaint that part of the car - it actually turned out OK as we covered as much as possible.

Also started fitting the fuel tank and pump system and pipework

and the brake pipes

Have also done a stack of other little things too but no photos. The next 3 weeks should see a lot of progress with things being fitted and finished. The engine is ready to be picked up too and got a few other things on the way as well.

Paul..
    Last edited by RallyMarshal; 23-02-2015, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Asda wouldnt have been as hard on the wallet!

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• iainel
    replied

Your weekend shopping trip has put my Saturday visit to Asda to shame.

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Even more goodies turned up after a shopping trip to Demon Tweeks and a few orders elsewhere...

Simtek Electronic Cutoff

TTV flywheel

Helix Clutch kit

Proper AIT / Tecno2 wheel studs and Nuts

PC950 "Racing 30" battery and mounting bracket

Spread washers for the seat mounts

OMP 6 point harnesses

Peltor intercom

Extra HID bulbs and relay kit

Have been carrying on with the wiring loom. As the car uses a Mk3 dash, Ive fitted the base Mk3 loom and then rewired it to work with Mk2 lights and converted the front lights to twin H1 HIDs. Ive also run additional cables through the loom as needed (spots, fan override, spares etc) and then started the process of wrapping the looms in loom tape again.

The rear of the car is fully converted, loom is rewrapped and fitted and working fine.

The front part of the front loom is also done and rewrapped

The HID ballasts and relays are fitted to the inner wings on both sides.

and the twin HIDs are all working. The "dip beam" ones work on dipped beam and main and the main ones work only on main. I used 2 spare 30 amp fuses from the main fusebox and ran extra wiring to the relays in the inner wings to power the ballasts for each type.

Paul..
    Last edited by RallyMarshal; 09-02-2015, 12:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Roger
    replied

nice parts! It is like christmas.

Good luck with the build.

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Lots of goodies turned up...

Brakelines and Polybushes

Navigators footrest

Twin Fuel pumps, brackets, fuel pipe and fittings

and collected my powder coated beam, ARBs, brackets etc

Still got the wiring to finish next though.

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• man with astra,s
    replied

looking good mate

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Its having red added to it for the final colour scheme but its nice to work on a car that has colour rather than primer

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• Black Magic
    replied

I really like that white clean look.

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Seems like slow progress at the moment as lots of "little" fiddly things to be done rather than the big things.

Fitted the (Mk3 Astra) heater and aircon unit in the car

Fitted the heater filter in the bulkhead plus the wiper motor as well.

Spent a significant amount of time on the Mk3 Astra wiring loom, stripping unused cables, tracing and labelling everything

This left a decent pile of spare cabling in the junk box

We also cut and fitted the dashboard and Im fitting the loom around it temporarily to check everything works correctly and fits.

This weeks evening jobs are to try to finish the standard wiring jobs - swapping pins and connectors so the Mk3 loom works with the Mk2 lights etc.

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Picked the car up on Sunday. Currently all done in Glacier White inside and outside. Red will be added at a later stage as this way allows us to crack on with the build itself.

Put it up on stands and started the proper build in the workshop. Fitted the steering rack, Mk3 column (smaller unit around the dash apature) and started fitting the bias brake bracket and brake pedal.

Its full speed ahead now. Theres a trackday on March 29th that will be perfect to shakedown / test the car so thats the key date Im aiming for. 10 weeks to go!

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Car still at the painters. Inside is done, outside being flatted today and painted this afternoon... Hopefully back end of the week.

Decided that it was best for him to shoot it all white first so we could carry on with the build and then the red paint on the shell and the paint for the other panels will be added later and then it will all be buffed properly..

Paul..

Leave a comment:

• iainel
    replied

Nice work stonechip is quite nice to apply, can't wait to see it painted.

Leave a comment:

• RallyMarshal
    replied

Spent this morning (with a sore head from going out last night and too much booze) finishing off the aircon rad mounts, oil cooler mounts and various other bits from the front end of the car.

Then spent the entire afternoon (still with a sore head) priming all the little bits that were left and stonechipping. Started by jacking the car up each side, removing the suspension and stonechipping the wheel arches front and rear.

Then Ste came over and helped me put the car on its side a bit so I could get the underside fully stonechipped.

Once its at its balance point, its really quite light to handle..

So the floorpans and entire underside are now stonechipped.

and its on the trailer ready to go to the painters...

Paul..

Leave a comment:

Working...
X